Group Family Session

Old 01-07-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Group Family Session

Bf's treatment house has group family meetings once a week. First one is tomorrow (holidays didn't have past two weeks he been in there). So anyone know what I can expect...dynamic of this type of treatment therapy. I'm private and shy for the most part around strangers, add nervous....ekkk. Tia.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Id call and ask. There can be a huge difference in whats offered. Basic info on addiction, sharing feelings, explanation of what the rehab offers, discussion of after rehab, good rehabs get more personal and you might talk one:one . It might be helpful, you came here to talk, so it might be a good next step for you?
Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I volunteer for Alanon outreach at one of our local rehabs. We go in and talk to the families first, then the patients come in for the big group. I usually only stay for the family portion. There's another Alanon volunteer whose son went through the rehab a few years ago (she actually set up the outreach program after starting in Alanon) and the AA outreach person. They both stay for the joint session.
YMMV though. I think AnonWife had a good idea about calling to ask what to expect. I understand how you feel, I'm also very shy in social settings, especially around strangers. But I hope you go. Real life support is very important. Remember, everyone else there is in the same boat as you. They understand what you're going through.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I intend on going and look forward to it. Bf's father will be attending also, that gives me more anxiety as then it's not as 'confidential' so to speak. (This is a non-12 step rehab, fyi for the al-anon references.)
Abf invited me and says it can't be anything short of good for me and us. I'll def update tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lil,

I agree that you should absolutely go to the session (?).

The rehab where my daughter was had a "Family Wellness Weekend" which was 3 days long, Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

We learned much about addiction, brain chemistry, behaviors to expect, group counseling, met with our daughter's counselor, developed recovery plans for both her and ourselves and had some individual counseling sessions.

The addict was included in some of the sessions and not in others.

I have described some of this weekend as "crying with strangers". Expect an emotional but very worthwhile learning experience.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 01-08-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes please update how it went. Im Non 12 step also. Recovered wothout it, and 5 yrs later dealing with my husbands pill trouble. (Trying family program at Smart for some tips). d love to hear what they share with you. PM me anytime to chat.

Originally Posted by LostinLove22 View Post
I intend on going and look forward to it. Bf's father will be attending also, that gives me more anxiety as then it's not as 'confidential' so to speak. (This is a non-12 step rehab, fyi for the al-anon references.)
Abf invited me and says it can't be anything short of good for me and us. I'll def update tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Went to family group at abf' rehab facility. It was very good to just have others loved ones present and just the energy in the room was great. Health and hope, something that I hadn't been surrounded by much in past year with my abf. Basically everyone said a question to be put on board about anything in the realm of addiction/treatment/aftermath anything, the addicts said question that they thought would help the loved ones dealing with them/or help their loved ones understand them/the disease...A lot I already knew but just felt good hearing a few statements of accountability and praise from my abf toward me in front of everyone. I hate being center of attention, but this today was so needed. He's doing fabulous for 2weeks in. Def look forward to this group weekly. Just to be able to sit with him and know in that moment he's drug free and really there with me. That alone made it worth it.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im so happy for you. I hope it continues to be a great help as you go through this. I love how he's there with you and leta hope he continues to feel better . (Ive been wanting to try one of these).
Old 01-09-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was nervous to open up, and I really didn't speak voluntarily at all. Just being there was therapeutic. In weeks to come I look forward to feeling more comfortable with the group and opening up as things get more in depth.

Anyone that has the opportunity do it. Great for you and the addict healing together to have a neutral healthy ground to learn and grow.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you had a good experience.