Notices

Lasted dang near 6 days

Old 01-07-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lasted dang near 6 days

That is really good for me. Stumbling was where I knew it would happen. With family. And of course when the cold Budweiser touches the lips, you know a second will follow. Once you have two, your winning streak is over anyways. So seven later...Today I don't feel horrible about it though. Just starting a new awesome streak and hopefully lasting a new personal record. I do like my chances. No real self loathing. Good luck to all when you are offered that drink. Do your absolute best to say no. If it happens, remember, you don't have to have the second or third.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck to all when you are offered that drink. Do your absolute best to say no. If it happens, remember, you don't have to have the second or third.
Oh Steve cmon man - once we have the first all bets are off.
That's something really fundamental I had to learn.

The first drink does all the damage.

Sounds like you need a new or better recovery plan Steve - one that with take you way past 6 days and into permanent recovery?

Why not shoot for the moon?

D
Old 01-07-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This certainly wasn't me applauding myself. This was me doing something I have never done since abusing alcohol became the norm. Fessing up. I've never been one to admit failure in the art of drinking. You are right, my approach isn't top notch. Not a single person outside this website knows I'm working out an alcohol problem. I certainly know that is a damn foolish thing to do. But it is my process. But six days was amazing. Felt awesome. 4.5 hours of yesterday wasn't awesome. One difference though...didn't kill every drop of alcohol in the house. I'm new at this. But the feeling of clean is a hell of a drug. As I have said before, driving home without fear of seeing a cop is amazing. A wonderful feeling that I had never had. I'll take my six days. I would have loved seven. But I was weak. Strength comes from repetition. I've turned more drinks down in 2016 already than I did in 2015. I'll get better. My plan will get better. I appreciate all the support from this website.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sounds like you're gearing up to do this, Steve. You will love being free of it.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steve3929 View Post
But the feeling of clean is a hell of a drug.
It is. Hang on to the good stuff. It is motivation.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't trying to tear you down Steve. Just what I hope was constructive criticism

D
Old 01-07-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One with me and everything is out the window for weeks, so I don't because it's a road I will never go down again.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

insanity of the first drink

I started with a budweiser 25 ouncer last night......... that is the problem for me I started it...... its illegal for me to drink, today is day one hope to here from some alkies soon on here Ok thanks
Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck Edward.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Edward

You will get more responses if you start your own thread

D
Old 01-08-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

One is too many a thousand is never enough - words to live by
Old 01-08-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep on trying, don't give up, have faith.
Any way you can avoid tempting situations until this gets "easier?"
Old 01-08-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Steve - I like your attitude. At least what I see so far. (Not that my opinion is terribly important.) Wishing you more days of sobriety. I thought Dees first post was a bit rough, but her second post is clarifying and helpful. Please keep us updated on your progress or lack of progress, Don't get me wrong I am rooting for your sobriety. But if things don't work out and you keep drinking please come back and tell us why.

Understanding failure and the reasons behind it is often a path to longer term success.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

geez.

what I was trying to say was the first drink does the damage, not the last one.
Allowing for the possibility of a first drink is very dangerous ground for people like us.

There is no good ending for a scenario where I, or a drinker like me, takes a first drink.

Ps I'm a guy

D
Old 01-08-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I now know that one drink leads to several .... and several days or weeks later I'm still drinking after just that one!!
Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
geez.

what I was trying to say was the first drink does the damage, not the last one.
Allowing for the possibility of a first drink is very dangerous ground for people like us.

There is no good ending for a scenario where I, or a drinker like me, takes a first drink.

Ps I'm a guy

D
It's not the caboose that will kill ya, it's the engine.......
Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One for me and everything and I mean everything is out the window, since Dec 12th I haven't touched or even had the urge to touch anything because I am working my plan so hard the AV has no room to even whisper. If I did, I can tell you I would play the tape through as I know from far to many experiences where just one beer will lead me to and I will not go there again.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

If you stumbled where you knew it would happen you need to work on your plan. What will you do different next time you're in that situation?
Old 01-08-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree that it is the first drink that does the damage. If we are non drinkers then 1 drink is too much.

I am picking up on your terminology here too - not being picky When you say you lasted 6 days and reading your post it sounds as though you were expecting to fail and just hanging on or missing out till you had the next drink

Maybe look at it another way - you're not missing out on something by quitting but opening up a whole great new life for you. Getting a new plan -maybe plan to do other things or avoid family events for a while till you feel stronger. Course it is rough at first but it's definitely worth it
Old 01-08-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dee,

I take no offense in anything you have said. I appreciate it in fact. I haven't had that before. I come from a long line of drinkers. It's what we do when we are together. Avoiding those situations is big. I'm certainly not happy I drank two nights ago, but nothing I'm beating myself up over either. It's another thing to learn from. And that is what I'll do. Needless to say, didn't drink yesterday. So that is one more small victory in life. In my calculations, I was averaging about 15 or so beers a day for the last several months. The last 7 days, I have had 7 beers (all in the same night). Had I gone about my normal average, it would have been 105. So I saved roughly $100 in beer, 10,000 calories, and possibly a few embarrassments. Y'all have a great day.