Notices

Just Found Out!

Old 09-13-2004, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Just Found Out!

I had suspected for awhile that my step-daughter was using. Yesterday her best friend and grandmother and I cornered her and she confessed. She is 19 and trying to live on her own. I begged her to come home and we would help her. She said no! She says she has to do it on her own. Today she is supposed to come over to the house, I told her father that she isn't leaving even if I have to dismantle her car. Am I doing the right thing, or will this drive her away further. Help! I don't want to make it worse.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome jol,

theres lots of support on this site! im sorry i dont have any advice for you, but i hope you check out the friends and family section!

hugs,

dot
Old 09-13-2004, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jolinie-

I haven't been in your situation but I have been confronted by family and friends before.......I wasn't ready to admit that I had a problem to myself, so their confrontations initially made me really angry. HOWEVER, they did have a lasting effect........the fact that the people I loved the most noticed my problem filled me with shame, and slowly made me realize that I in fact needed help. I can't answer your question, but I know that ultimately this is probably a step in the right direction. Others will be along soon to have real advice =), I just wanted to say my thoughts are with you and your family.

-bea
Old 09-13-2004, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome,

The sad part of our disease is that we won't quit until we are ready. My parents confronted me many times, and it only made me angry. I went to rehab, to make them happy, and still went back to using. I don't mean to sound discouraging to you, but I also don't want to fill you with false hope. If she doesn't want help, there is nothing you can do but pray. I think the friends and family forum would be a good place to look for support. There are many people there who have been where you are. May God watch over you and your family.

Sherry