Notices

Two Question

Old 01-07-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Two Question

I'm not sure where to post this, I looked through the forums a bit and couldn't figure it out.

I'm not new to recovery so to speak. But I do have so so much to learn still. I was wondering if I could ask a specific question about sleeping aids? Basically if over the counter ones are considered mood altering or taking them as getting high. For me personally there were times when I took them daily to just sleep at night and it go out of hand. Also right now I've been keeping it from anyone that i'm taking them again at night. It's only been a few nights, but I want to get myself on track with making sure i continue to get healthy.

I'm embarrassed to ask.... i'm embarrassed to be here again.

Also is there a way to connect with someone online for a sponsor? I sure need someone to start checking in with daily right now. I know it won't last forever, but i Have a doctor appointment coming up and i know she will prescribe me something if I don't be honest at my appointment.

~Ak
Old 01-07-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Akhippie View Post
...right now I've been keeping it from anyone that i'm taking them again at night. It's only been a few nights, but I want to get myself on track with making sure i continue to get healthy.
Keeping it a secret isn't good. Are you taking them for their intended use? And following the label directions? Or you taking them for a reason you want to keep from other people? Meaning, for the buzz?

It's common in early recovery to what to "replace" alcohol. But that leads to abuse. I think it best you deal with some sleepless nights rather than misuse an OTC sleep aid.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I also wonder why you feel the need to keep it a secret.

You should definitely be honest with your doctor about your sleep problems and your past sleep aide use.
Long term use of sleep medication can also wreak havoc on your body's natural sleep processes.

You may also want to talk with your doctor about natural sleep aides like melatonin.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I also think you should talk to your dr about your sleeping problems and not keep it a secret.

As far as finding a sponsor, the best place to do that is an AA meeting. It could be, that after some time, you get to know someone here who you'd like to connect with. But, you can always check in here daily and let us know how you're doing.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Akhippie View Post
I'm not sure where to post this, I looked through the forums a bit and couldn't figure it out.

I'm not new to recovery so to speak. But I do have so so much to learn still. I was wondering if I could ask a specific question about sleeping aids? Basically if over the counter ones are considered mood altering or taking them as getting high. For me personally there were times when I took them daily to just sleep at night and it go out of hand. Also right now I've been keeping it from anyone that i'm taking them again at night. It's only been a few nights, but I want to get myself on track with making sure i continue to get healthy.

I'm embarrassed to ask.... i'm embarrassed to be here again.

Also is there a way to connect with someone online for a sponsor? I sure need someone to start checking in with daily right now. I know it won't last forever, but i Have a doctor appointment coming up and i know she will prescribe me something if I don't be honest at my appointment.

~Ak
Ak, I can only share my experience with prescription sleep aids. I will NEVER take them again for the rest of my life. I became dependent on them, and the withdrawal was 72 hrs of hell. And I used them as prescribed, I took them at bedtime, not to get "high". I take melatonin or benedryl now and it relaxes me just enough to fall asleep. I wish you the very best.