Notices

Day 6 - Struggling To Focus

Old 01-07-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

Day 6 - Struggling To Focus

Checking in here in the afternoon of Day 6 of my journey. Didn't drink last night but around 10pm the cravings hit me hard. All I could think about was going out and grabbing a six pack of beer. I didn't, I pushed through, put on another episode of House (loving this show at the moment) and made a green tea. I don't know why or how it worked but it did, the cravings passed around 11pm.

Struggled to sleep though through overthinking, everything seemed to hit me and as I sat there I just began listing things in my head. Everything was all jumbled up so I started mentally making lists, then I started to transfer them onto paper. This morning I reworked them and it's really helping me to put the past in the past, face everything I need to do/solve to start moving forward and really begin focusing on my new life.

Sobriety is daunting to me, but making these lists and breaking things down is the only way I feel I can get to a point where I have nothing hanging over my head. Then I can just go, right then, all those lists are complete and forgotten about, lets make a brand new list... 'Goals'.

Daniel
Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's really common to have spinny brain in early sobriety. Well done for distracting yourself and getting through discomfort. It's going to get easier.

No way I would have been able to sleep after green tea at night in early sobriety. Caffeine got me all wound up, even the small amount in green tea. I drank Tension Tamer tea and SleepyTime tea after noon for most of the first year.

You're doing great! Congrats on six days.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I love lists! I find them very therapeutic. They help me focus on what might be in life when I kick this.

Congrats on almost a week sober!
Old 01-07-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 6 & having goals
Old 01-07-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day six! I'm day six too and struggle with cravings too. I'm working on my plan and identifying my triggers but it's tough going. Tomorrow is going to be hard work as I tend to do most of my drinking over the weekend. I've found that hot water with a slice of lemon before bed helps with the insomnia
Old 01-07-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 6 is great

Early recovery is rough - but it really does get easier - don;t give up! Use the support here

D
Old 01-07-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

Not feeling any cravings this evening which is good tomorrow will be Day 7 thus marking 1 week sober. Looking forward to how I'll feel in the morning knowing I've achieved something I never thought I would...
Old 01-09-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, that craving wave comes pretty hard sometimes. I know with me in the first few days it was tough. I guess one has to figure the body had got so use to it that it still think its suppose to get it.

Congrats on 6 days! Hopefully the cravings dissipate over time.