Notices

anti depressants & drinking

Old 01-06-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anti depressants & drinking

I read about how it was believed there to be a link between ssri anti depressants and cravings for alcohol. This was like a jolt of lightening for me so I researched more and indeed there is a lot of people out there that strongly believe there to be a link and tell stories of their alcoholism whilst taking this medication, people that were not drinkers at all before the medication.

I evaluated my own situation from this. … my drinking has escalated over the last year or so. Yes I’ve always been a drinker but I have to say my intake has increased and urges to drink have become much more frequent. It’s is also just over a year that I have been taking ssri anti depressants. I am now seriously considering that there may be a link. I thought it was just a progression of the illness now I’m not so sure!!

I’ve considered weaning off them to see if there is a difference but I’m scared as I remember what it was like before taking them …. i have the worst pmt imaginable. I’m also worried that the wine witch might use this knowledge to her advantage I. E you can drink cos it’s not your fault now it’s the medication.

I’m not sure what to do now. Apparently medical professionals and drug companies in the UK are still reluctant to acknowledge the link therefore is it even worth talking to my go? ?

Your experiences and opinions would be much appreciated.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting topic. I looked for any information on this connection but could not find any. Could you please share the links you found this info? Thanks. John
Old 01-06-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

I had the opposite... getting on antidepressants helped me get sober and helps me stay that way. The first time I got sober I went off of them ("I'm fixed!") and fell back into drinking fairly soon after. This time I got on them right after quitting and can feel how much stronger I am mentally being sober and actually letting them do their job.

If they've been effective for you, yes, talk to your GP. I have a friend with an autoimmune condition that was undiagnosed for years and making her very ill. I learned from her quest that there are a lot of alternative health communities and theories, and some of them are probably valid, but others are certainly not, and it's hard to tell which is which. Drinking and antidepressants are both chemicals that can be life changing for good or ill, so I would proceed very carefully with the help of a dr. If yours won't even consider the link, maybe try to find one with more of an open mind?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Interesting topic. I looked for any information on this connection but could not find any. Could you please share the links you found this info? Thanks. John
I don't have any links at the minute but will try to get some. I did however just google ' link between fluoxetine and alcohol cravings' and several things came up mostly people personal stories and depression forums where people had lots to say on the subject.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I had the opposite... getting on antidepressants helped me get sober and helps me stay that way. The first time I got sober I went off of them ("I'm fixed!") and fell back into drinking fairly soon after. This time I got on them right after quitting and can feel how much stronger I am mentally being sober and actually letting them do their job.

If they've been effective for you, yes, talk to your GP. I have a friend with an autoimmune condition that was undiagnosed for years and making her very ill. I learned from her quest that there are a lot of alternative health communities and theories, and some of them are probably valid, but others are certainly not, and it's hard to tell which is which. Drinking and antidepressants are both chemicals that can be life changing for good or ill, so I would proceed very carefully with the help of a dr. If yours won't even consider the link, maybe try to find one with more of an open mind?
thank you for this, I guess they have different effects on different people. I thought my increase in drinking was just because im an alkie so to speak, I may talk to the doctor but im scared to come off the meds too so feel like im in a catch 22 situation!!
Old 01-06-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had the opposite situation, too. I'm sorry that things are not working for you.

I was depressed long before I began drinking and when I decided to stop, it was my depression that made it impossible, because I didn't care enough. Thankfully I got on the right antidepressant that worked for me, and levelled the playing field for me. I have a chemical imbalance and the antidepressants help with that. I was able to step out of the dark hole and I know I never have to go back there.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

This is just my opinion, but depression and alcoholism is definitely linked. We use the alcohol to self medicate and for awhile it works. SSRI's are obviously used for depression so it would be an easy argument, although possibly not correct, to say SSRI's and alcoholism is linked.

I've been on and off AD's for over 30 years and I haven't seen a correlation between them and my alcohol intake. I have seen a negative correlation between my depression and alcohol intake. AD's are not as effective and you never address the underlying issues causing the depression.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had the opposite experience. When I got sober, I gave my antiD's a chance to work properly. I never noticed that they made me want to drink.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantail,
"The first time I got sober I went off of them ("I'm fixed!") and fell back into drinking fairly soon after....."

My daughter took Zoloft for years including during the time she was in active addiction to opiates. She got clean and remained so for about 20 months.........."I'm fixed!"

There is a small, very hard core of NA people who believe one should be completely chemical free. My daughter decided she should quit taking Zoloft and join the hard core. She stopped taking the Zoloft and it was not too long before she relapsed.

She came to her senses very quickly; detoxed / rehab / continues in an IOP now. Has started taking Zoloft again and is currently 60 days clean. With the help and guidance of her counselors and her sponsor, she has reached the conclusion that part of the reason she relapsed was the cessation of Zoloft. She won't be doing that again.

One day at a time,

Jim
Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks guys, but there are people out there that are adamant that there is a link. some of which didn't even drink much until they started the meds, they then deteriorated alcoholically so fast that it had huge impacts on their lives. since coming off the meds they have no desire to drink. apparently in the US some companies do acknowledge the link between the med and cravings for alcohol and include it on their info sheet under side effects, not sure if any of you in the US can confirm this? here in the UK there's no such acknowledgement yet.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

During the time my drinking escalated into full-blown alcoholism, I was on the anti-depressant Paxil. At the time, I blamed the Paxil for "egging me on" into drinking more -- it felt as if I needed to drink in order to counter some mania-inducing quality of the anti-depressant. I was convinced that the link was real.

Nowadays I'm 8 years off Paxil and 3 years off alcohol, and with the clarity of hindsight I can see that my progression into alcoholism would assuredly have been the same whether I was on the Paxil at the time or not. I don't know for sure, it may indeed have exerted some small "egging on" influence, but it certainly didn't "make me" an alcoholic. Factors far more significant than the Paxil did that.

I would echo the advice of others that it really doesn't matter whether there's a link between your anti-depressant and your increased drinking. The point is to stop drinking. If you continue, your alcohol addiction will progress equally whether the anti-depressant is a factor or not.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

From what I know about medication, it's probably not a good idea to stop something that's been prescribed by a medical professional without seeking some medical advice, or at least have a chat to your Dr about some alternatives.

The worst thing you can do is put your Sobriety at risk as a result of experimenting with various medicines, the other thing to consider is even if you weren't taking this medicine, would you have still needed Sobriety in our life? who knows, potentially, but stopping any medication without a chat with a Dr is probably not a good idea!!

Hang in there Adelina!!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by fantail View Post

This is the same for me. Once I was on the right meds and gave them a chance to work, my desire to quit became stronger and my ability to get off drinking was possible. I believe I was drinking from my anxiety and depression and not having the skills to handle both. The meds definitely helped with those things and made it easier to quit.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
totfit

Oh, just the opposite as far as my experience goes. I had relatively more control, but again that is relative. We always look for the "reason" that we drink the way we do, thinking if we get rid of that "reason" it will be okay and our drinking will be fine. I kept getting rid of the reasons, but the drinking just continued to get worse. I have really never heard of anti-depressants causing larger issues with alcohol, though I guess it may for some. We are all different. Beware looking for the reason however.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

I never experienced cravings for alcohol on any medication but saying that I only started less than a year ago when I was well into my sobriety I really appreciate what Anna said
Old 01-06-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think my Prozac levels me out and helps with not drinking. This country is so over medicated though, who knows. I tried not taking mine and eventually ended up a basket case!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I started on an SSRI about 3 years ago. I drank a lot before, and I drank a lot after beginning to take it--in spite of the enhanced possibility of seizures. That is how much of a hold alcohol and my addictive voice had on my thought process.

I'm not sure if I could separate the two from each other, since I was self medicating heavily for so many years.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses and I think totfit is probably right I'm looking for a reason and something to blame this on other than myself!!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi adelina - I have heard of this before, very rarely, but others have made similar claims.
Please don;t come off or cut back on your anti-depressants before seeing your Dr though.

I do notice that you admit to being a heavy drinker before you started the ADs...I think you also really need to consider the possibility this might just be the natural progression of your alcoholism?

D
Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Our brains a are all unique and incredibly complicated. Although I saw no correlation between anti depressants (not an SSRI, though) and alcohol use, I did have to have my dosage adjusted after quitting alcohol. My GP was a bit baffled, but suggested that perhaps being alcohol free changed the concentrations of the medication in my system. There is so much that is still unknown about chemicals and the brain, not even considering the alcoholic's brain on chemicals! However, I am grateful every day for my anti depressant meds, and how the changed my life for the better.