Mistake or no?

Old 01-05-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mistake or no?

So a few weeks ago my exab sent me a social media message (messenger; we weren't still linked on this social media page) about something pretty lame about returning something he *just* found - that story is here. Didn't respond. A few days later I thought it best to just go ahead and block him on the social media pages I know he uses, so he can't even find me on those.

The next week or so, I guess after he found that he was blocked from contacting me there, I received an request from him on linkedin. At this point, I'm kind of disturbed by this because he's realizing that I am blocking this communication attempt from him, and he's actively searching for a new way to get through. Still - no response, no contact, and blocked him there.

A week later, I spotted him out at a restaurant and bar - of course with a drink in hand, but I made no acknowledgement and thankfully he didn't confront me (likely because I was with some new friends he did not know).

Then a few days later the texting started, asking if I was still in town, or if I was at home. No response from me, but no explanation from him as to why he's continuing to contact me. It's weird and it's creeping me out. Marked his # as spam, so at least I won't get any more notifications of contact. 1 step from changing my number, although I'd rather not.

I don't care why he's doing this now - it doesn't matter, but it seems like he's slowly ramping this up as I am making it clear that I want no contact from him. My fear is that it may lead to a direct confrontation if he sees me out again.

I don't know if this was a good idea, but I figured I would take a shot to send a sort of cease and desist email. I made it very short and to the point, it wasn't emotional, and it wasn't angry. I basically said that we both know what happened, we both know why, and I can't overlook any of that. I asked him to stop contacting me, wished him the best, and that was it.

I did so in hopes that me just shutting it down without giving him the chance to explain himself will do something, but I'm also wondering if I didn't fall into some kind of trap here. I'm not worried about tripping back into any kind of relationship with him or anything, but in trying to shut down whatever he's trying to pull right now, did I just open up a can of worms?

Part of me feels that I should have just kept ignoring it, but it did kind of start to bother me of where he was going to take it from here.

General advice about this? Did I just send him an invitation to try harder?
Old 01-05-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, at least you have it documented that you asked him to leave you alone.

More will be revealed. I think I probably would have done the same thing. I wouldn't respond any more.

Hopefully he will stop. I had an ex that kept trying to contact me for a few months after we broke up but he eventually quit.

This guy isn't violent, is he?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If he "tries harder" after you've so clearly told him to stop contacting you, you can probably obtain a protective order. I'd do that, if he doesn't quit at this point.

ETA: I just realized you're in Texas, and it may not be possible to get a protective order for persistent contact without a history of violence or reason to fear harm (not legal advice, you'd have to get that from a lawyer or guidance from a DV advocate). Such continued contact might constitute harassment, however, and you could file a criminal complaint and most likely get a "no contact" condition as a result.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would have done the same. I have a friend that changed her phone number and deleted FB for a similar situation. Kinda sucks. :-/
Old 01-06-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
If he "tries harder" after you've so clearly told him to stop contacting you, you can probably obtain a protective order. I'd do that, if he doesn't quit at this point.

ETA: I just realized you're in Texas, and it may not be possible to get a protective order for persistent contact without a history of violence or reason to fear harm (not legal advice, you'd have to get that from a lawyer or guidance from a DV advocate). Such continued contact might constitute harassment, however, and you could file a criminal complaint and most likely get a "no contact" condition as a result.
Thanks for the info. In Texas I don't think a protective order would qualify. He has no criminal history in that regard, although he showed some pretty clear signs that it's not out of his realm. My hope is that whatever he's had going on hasn't worked out and he thought he'd try to come back to someone he knows has put up with him in the past, and my direct squashing it has sent a clear message. It seems like the blocking from social media would have done that, but whatever.

Let's just hope that a little common sense finally prevails.