Notices

Day 4 - Positive Changes - Past Mistakes

Old 01-05-2016, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

Day 4 - Positive Changes - Past Mistakes

I'm sat here on the morning of Day 4 of my journey. Last night I didn't really feel any cravings as such but I did start to feel tired much earlier. I'm taking this as a sign that my body is starting to adjust to feeling tired again? I'm guessing this is due to the fact that I'm not pumping it full of alcohol every evening which is high in sugar as we all know.

Day 4 brings me to the subject of facing past mistakes and foolish choices. Now that I'm on my way to being alcohol free, and this touches on what I mentioned yesterday, I'm starting to find myself thinking about past mistakes I've made. These are both through being drunk and also just generally. I know there is absolutely nothing I can do to change the past, I can only build my future path. But how do I stop myself from dwelling on all this and move forward?

Now that I'm getting a handle on my drinking, I need to find a way to let go of the past and take charge of my future. Only being 27 I feel that I can still have a bright one ahead and be whatever I want to be, yes?

Staying strong, a day at a time.

Daniel
Old 01-05-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on four days sober! Keep it up.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daniel
I just answered another post on this very subject

The more I focused on today and what I could do with it, over time I worried less about the past.

I'm not that person anymore - and I can;t change a second of it no matter how much I want to.

My advice is too make your peace with it, draw a line under it, and face forwards. Today is all about you and the sober person you want to be.

The more you focus on that the less the past will bother you.

I hope in time, like I did, you'll forgive yourself, and let go

D
Old 01-05-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^ Congrats on day 4
Old 01-05-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 4 Daniel!!

The more time you put between your old life and your new life all of those things will fade into the past, it will filed away as that chapter in your life, and instead the new chapter of your life that you are writing with every Sober day will come to the forefront!!

Hang in there, and keep pushing forward!!
Old 01-05-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Whether you're 27 or 87, you can write a new future.

The longer you stay sober, the less you'll feel haunted by the errors of your past. See if you still feel so preoccupied with those things in another week or two.

And until then, take action to move forward.

Do something today that will help build a better future. Read a nonfiction book to inspire you or expand your knowledge. Exercise if you're up to it. Clean out a closet. Register to vote. Take an online personality test like Myers-Briggs or DISC. Find a recipe online, get the ingredients and make it tonight. Then you can invite someone over for dinner and spoil them rotten. Without booze.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been struggling with ruminating for years. Ruminating is associated with depression, which I have been experiencing in recovery. I know I need to forgive myself and move on but depression has made it difficult. Have you considered whether or not you could be depressed? It's very common in early sobriety