Notices

Alcohol issue

Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol issue

Hi I amnew here.

I'd like to share my first issues with alcohol. First I was just a social drinker(in my late tweenties) but when I got older I started to had my first drinking binge (doing things that lately I regret) without admitting there was a problem until last year when I realized that I drink too much when alone.

The past weekend was too much, at least much more than before. I have increase the comsumption over the years and now that I feel deeply depressed, I feel that it got worst. So googled it on internet to seek for some help and found a free number from the goverment. He asked me some questions and told me that I am on high risk, and suggest me to get an appointment with a speciallist to overcome this issue.

Any insight is welcome.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You realize this is a problem great first step.
Now why not do something about it, take your life back which alcohol stole from you. It's going to take work but it is totally worth it.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support for getting sober here.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Absolutely, you should get some professional help and advice, participate in support communities (like this one), and just generally set your cap that you WILL defeat this thing before it defeats YOU!

You're at the point that you see that for certain people (like you and me), drinking doesn't stay the same -- it progresses and gets worse. So we need to kill it off now, before it gets worse yet.

Hope you don't waste any time trying to cut back/moderate/etc. I lost a decade on those efforts and every time I cut back, the addiction came back even worse than before.

"You can't negotiate with a terrorist." Alcohol wants to destroy you, so there's no point trying to reach a happy medium with it.

Do you have an appointment yet to meet with someone?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Katze. Welcome aboard. Lots of great people on here for support and advice.

What are your plans at the moment? Are you ready to try to get sober? Many of us try moderating for years - unfortunately, for an alcoholic that is unlikely ever to be possible for an extended period of time. Alcoholism is progressive, but the good news is that sobriety and recovery can turn our lives around.

Don't know where in the world you are, but Smart and AA tend to be available for support in most places. I went the AA route, and it's working well for me. But different people prefer different plans.

There's a lot of information on here about making a plan for sobriety / recovery. Dee put some great links on a day or so ago.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks you all for your prompt reply, it makes me feel I'm not alone.

Well, the first step I took just yesterday was calling a support number, which is from the government (I live in Chile) and the guy was really nice and suggested to ask for ask for an appointment with a speciallist, because I told him that for some years I went to a psychiatrist (after breast cancer) and although he was very suppotive with cancer, he didn't see any problem with my drinking, so I tried many time to reduce amount of glasses and sometimes I could, but I realized that when I couldn't control the number of glasses it get always worst and sometimes I drove my car.... I feel very ashamed... and it's still difficult to see if wheter I'm alcoholic (because I don't drink every day) or is it just alcohol abuse (what I've done more being alone).

Last edited by Katze2015; 01-04-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Too many mistakes
Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and it makes me happy you reached out for help. I hope/believe you will find a professional that will help you, maybe consider an AA meeting as it may help you, for me I use every resource I can get my hands on, If you PM me I can give you an online AA group that is a tremendous support as they have open chats 24/7 between meetings and there are always folks there to help you. Also talk to your doctor and get checked, I always error on the side of caution.

All the best
Andrew
Old 01-04-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Katze!!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not all active alcoholics drink every day. Maybe try some of the on-line questionnaires. There's a lot of them you can google.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted. Alcoholism isn't determined by how often you drink or even how much you drink. It's about what happens to you when you drink. I became a different, angry person, someone I hated. Don't focus on the label alcoholic because it's just a word. If you want to improve your life by living sober, then go for it and we are here for support.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Before I came here I did some online test and they always tell me that I am on risk... the same thing that told me yesterday the guy on the phone. Actually he carried a questionary and said that he saw some alcohol dependance. This is quiet shoking to me and think that I'm on a kind of denial. Yesterday I cried a lot, because I thought it's just my depression.... but in fact I see that acohol makes me feel more depressed.

My depression was awful last year and I decided to do something about it, went to a psychologist for a while and payed for a personal trainer who, because of a diet, fobbided me alcohol, which I could do for two months.But because diet wasn't working and had some stomach problems I went to a nutricionist who gave a more flexible diet that also includes wine... so gues what I drunk too much when I had a bottle...

You see people drinking on tv... there are friends that invite you to eat and drink something, how do you say no to all this... I feel kind of overwhelmed.....

:'(

Last edited by Katze2015; 01-04-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: too many mistakes
Old 01-04-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Katze. I'm really glad you're taking a look at what drinking is doing to your life.

I agree that it is overwhelming when we first admit we need to stop. I thought nothing would ever be fun again. Yet drinking wasn't bringing me any enjoyment in the end. Every time it was in my system it caused me to behave in a reckless way & even put me in danger. It's no way to live. I think being here with us will help with the anxiety you're feeling.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Seeing people drinking, alcohol everywhere, how do we resist? This is part of developing the plan. It's a resistance plan. A sobriety plan. A plan for how not to drink when we're tempted.

Like it says above, just because you don't drink everyday doesn't mean you're not an alcoholic. There are lots of "circumstantial drinkers" that are alcoholics.

Also, let this sink in: You drove drunk. You put your life, and the lives of others at risk. No judgment from me. I did the same for years and it took twenty years of drunk driving before I was finally arrested for DWI. Think about the possible consequences. Check out this youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtXo_usX7Tw

Drinking gets worse, not better, over time. Please fight this thing now before it hurts you or someone else. We'll all be here for you, 100%!

Old 01-04-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Katze - I was also a binge drinker. You are taking the right steps to get a plan and counseling in place. Come here and post often - this site really helps me stay accountable to myself.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Katze

It might seem like everyone else is a drinker right now but I bet there are plenty of non drinkers - even in places like Chile

I lead a non drinking life - and I love it. I rediscovered a me I'd forgotten about. Life is good

I think what you call it - alcoholism or alcohol dependence - isn't as important as accepting you have a problem with alcohol, and doing something about that problem - you'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 01-04-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for writing me back.

Soberynsiracuse: I watched the video. I remind it when I first saw it years ago... it's really shoking... and you remind one case here in my country where a baby died because of a drunken driver and the parents of the baby went to the government and now there is a law that doesn't allow not even a glass of beer and to punish with jail for those who killed because of drunken driver.

It's fair to punish and really this may me think what I'm doing. Because it's not only because of me but because of others....

I would like to have a different life style being sober.....
Old 01-04-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Katze
Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There are some very good books that might help you to envision how you can like alcohol free. Alcohol itself is not the enemy. Many others (normies) can drink 'normally' and in ways that don't get out of hand, or make them put their own lives, and the lives of others at risk. If 'normies' invite you over, but say you're off alcohol today, would they be so kind as to give you something else (you can even take over a non-alcoholic contribution to share. If you're talking about friends who drink like you, then maybe avoid visiting them in a drinking situation for a while. There are slippery people and slippery places for all of us, and when we plan out how we can stay sober, then we included these and make plans about how to deal with these people and places.

I found that Monkey on My Shoulder and Living Sober are both really helpful books for me (these are both available online either as a book to post, or for Kindle).

Problems with alcohol (many think of it as an allergy to the stuff - maybe that will help you get your head round it as you're obviously uncomfortable with the word 'alcoholic' - and most of us feel the same at the start). .. Anyway, problems with alcohol don't discriminate. They affect people of all backgrounds (gender, class, religion, occupation, age... none of these make a difference). In my AA group there are poor people and wealthy. Old and young. Ladies and men (actually, usually more ladies than men). Religious people and not religious and some who have a deep distrust and dislike of religious organisations. There are teachers; nurses; pensioners; parents; students; a surgeon; builders; jockeys; unemployed people; shop workers; museum attendants (I could go on a long time, but you get the picture). I haven't seen anyone with an old coat tied with string. Not yet anyway - but it's always possible

Anyway - Just try to worry about one day at a time for now. Don't dwell to much on the past (which is unchangeable), or the future (as we can only deal with that then). Just one day - or even one hour - at a time to start off with, stay sober. You might have some uncomfortable feelings. Breathe deeply, and try to accept that they are horrible, but they're just passing through. We tend to think that our feelings ARE us. They're not. You will also have some thoughts that belong to your Addictive Voice (AV) - trying to convince you that you cannot, or should not, get sober or live sober. Those AV's come up with SO much rubbish. Just 'oh shush' that AV. It'll quieten down as the time between your last drink and the present moment increases.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi and welcome Katze.

You will find some great support here from people who have experienced what you're feeling.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support.

Right now I feel powerless, I try to think how alcohol only leads me to have more depression and steals the little energy I have for sports, but anyway I feel that I don't have the mood neither to do sports and nor to leave drinking....