Notices

Day 1

Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I'm doing day 1. It's almost over. I'm already not sure I want to go down this road again. I've been sober before. I always felt left out. I have been drinking thru the holidays. I'm functional but it's become a requirement. I just wanna stay in bed and hide from the world. Drinking doesn't do what it promises. I went to a meeting today. I liked holding hands at the end. I don't want a sponsor or another book. Don't even know if I need to be here. I just want to be happy.

kiki
Old 01-03-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pressmetilihurt.

Welcome.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back! How long were you sober before?

So, it sounds like you need to do more than just get sober. Perhaps make some life changes. I know I had to. I'm much happier now and over a year sober.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Kiki!

It sounds to me as if alcohol is troubling you. I found an answer to my problems with alcohol by going to meetings, and reading and posting here at SoberRecovery.

I hope you stick around!
Old 01-03-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had 3 years at one time. I quit doing sober stuff. Was white knuckling it. It sucked. I started drinking. I'm not homeless. No DUI's. I..I find that alcohol is part of all my socializing. I'm getting drunk, passing out, making bad decisions. The worse part is my kid is noticing how central alcohol has become. What kind of life changes?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're right. Drink doesn't do what it promises.

Hope you feel better.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was thinking of doing Kaisers 2 week program. I'd have to take off work but at least I could get started. I feel like I don't remember how to not drink. I was gonna get a burger then I looked at all the beers on the menu. I went somewhere else.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Aw!!! You're so cute! You liked holding hands!!!
Me too
Old 01-03-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't know Kaiser had a two week program, is it inpatient?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You should be more happy by removing alcohol and stop assaulting your brain with the depressant ... Something to look forward to!!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I definitely vote for doing the program! It'll give you some clarity and a little time to think through some things.

Um.... Don't take this wrong, but I put off dealing seriously with my drinking problem for a long time, based on the fact that I was "functional," had never been arrested, etc. Then one day, BOOM! I was arrested for DWI.

It's a very fine line separating "high functioning" alcoholics from those other poor souls.

And besides...while "functioning" is okay, wouldn't you rather be kicking butt and taking names, living to your fullest potential?
Old 01-04-2016, 12:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find the support, here and elsewhere, to get sober for good.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kiki!!
Old 01-04-2016, 02:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
I'm doing day 1. It's almost over. I'm already not sure I want to go down this road again. I've been sober before. I always felt left out. I have been drinking thru the holidays. I'm functional but it's become a requirement. I just wanna stay in bed and hide from the world. Drinking doesn't do what it promises. I went to a meeting today. I liked holding hands at the end. I don't want a sponsor or another book. Don't even know if I need to be here. I just want to be happy.

kiki
Hi

I had to change my life when I got sober because all my friends and all the activities I did were all about drinking.

Try to live that life without drinking and you'll definitely feel like an outsider.

Do you have any sober friends, or friends where the friendship is not based around drinking? that's a good start

wanting to stay in bed all day is often a good indication somethings not right - do you think you might be depressed?

the other thing to consider is - we drank for years - it can take a little time for us to adapt ourselves into a sober life and be happy.

Growth will always take time

How long have you been sober for in the past, pressme?

D
Old 01-04-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Only 5 days but...

Can I offer a bit of advice? Write down the details of your rock bottom moment that you knew you wanted to stop drinking. It could be anything from puking your brains out to waking up in a jail cell and not knowing how you got there. The important thing are the details - time tends to dull the pain you felt at that moment, so when I feel the desire to drink and start to believe I could have just one like a "normal" person, I re-read my rock bottom story and keep in mind that it started with one drink.
Good luck and keep reading/posting!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome KiKi