Circulation Of An Alcoholic? Always Hot Or Cold

Old 01-02-2016, 11:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Circulation Of An Alcoholic? Always Hot Or Cold

How does heavy drinking affect the circulatory systems of an alcoholic. On one hand I heard it dilates the blood vessels but don't they shrink up after the affects of alcohol wear off. The alkie hear always seems to be hot or cold. Of course your are expect to keep and pay for an artificial environment to their liking.

And what would alternating highly caffeinated drinks with alcohol filled drinks do to the body over a 1/2 day lets say. I think it could affect mood swings for starters but would that play tricks with the body and/or simply be adding another diuretic?

Would alcohol or drugs affect any thing else that might regulate body temperature or does the alkie/addict look for comfort perfection?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Never understood why people like alcohol with coffee! But some of the heaviest drinkers do!

Hmmmm...

Let's see here.... Alc. is a vasodilator and cns depressant while coffee is a vasoconstrictor and cns stimulant... Both are thought to have diuretic qualities... But put these two things together and imagine the heyday its having on the brain and blood vessels....
Old 01-03-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

There's lots of information on the internet. Try searching 'effects of alcohol on the body'.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

quest.....it sounds like you have got something on your mind.....what is it?......

dandylion
Old 01-03-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yep, maybe share some specifics if you want some suggestions. . .
Old 01-03-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

up or down

Since the alkie's persona is that of a professional athlete/gym rat I was thinking maybe I could try to reason with some information on the effects if it would put in terms of sports medicine or physiology. Of course you just can't say heavy drinking or excessive caffeine is bad. That and the constant I'm hot I'm cold is tiring so rather than say keep your comments to yourself perhaps dressing up 'It's not me, the room it is you' might have an affect.

It's seems there are multiple illegal substances now as well. At first I thought it was the alcohol offsetting steroid use. It seems to have gone past that. Are there multiple probably illegal drugs in play now, more than usual? I frequently hear how addicts start doing multiple substances to offset each other either to sleep or get going. Has the alkie/addict behavior expanded to this? Is the normal progression for an alkie/addict?
Old 01-03-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Never understood why people like alcohol with coffee! But some of the heaviest drinkers do....
Not a heavy drinker-kind of alcoholic/addict but was also addicted to coffee. My absolute favorite alcoholic drinks were White Russians (coffee, Kailua, cream) or coffee with Bailey's Irish cream.

Why? because the buzz from the caffeine gave me a false sense of happy-energy, and that mixed with the calming/CNS depressive affects of alcohol, didn't make me sleepy like wine. Caffeine acted as a bandaid to the depression and the alcohol a bandaid to the anxiety.

For some reason these were my favorite drinks at comedy clubs. I looked more forward to having these drinks then I did to the actual comedy show.

Never again!! :-)

PS - my body temp regulation and circulatory system have been messed up for over two decades from when I was anorexic (which is an addiction, too, though to a behavior and not a substance.) I just sort of have gotten used to it. Cardiovascular exercise helps.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

In my experience, presenting medical information to an addict/alcoholic is as useless as anything else we try to do to change them.

YOU could try stepping AWAY from the madness.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
Since the alkie's persona is that of a professional athlete/gym rat I was thinking maybe I could try to reason with some information on the effects if it would put in terms of sports medicine or physiology. Of course you just can't say heavy drinking or excessive caffeine is bad. That and the constant I'm hot I'm cold is tiring so rather than say keep your comments to yourself perhaps dressing up 'It's not me, the room it is you' might have an affect.

It's seems there are multiple illegal substances now as well. At first I thought it was the alcohol offsetting steroid use. It seems to have gone past that. Are there multiple probably illegal drugs in play now, more than usual? I frequently hear how addicts start doing multiple substances to offset each other either to sleep or get going. Has the alkie/addict behavior expanded to this? Is the normal progression for an alkie/addict?
Hi Quest

I am a 'double winner' and say this with compassion. You would be wasting your precious energy and time to do as you suggest. Us thick headed alkies will drink until we are ready to stop.

I went from hot to cold when drinking too, was uncomfortable but it doesn't stop you from drinking, it just makes you think of (insane) ways around it!! As you touch on, we use various meds or whatever to offset bad effects of drinking. I used to take endless indigestion medication when really what I needed to do was quit booze but we don't see it like that. My alkie hub was the same.

We become experts in substances that affect our moods too so use them to balance things out. Darn hard work, to be honest. Which all shows the pure insanity of it.

I would urge you to look after yourself and care for you. I don't know if you are working a program but focus on yourself.

We can only take care of ourselves, not other people too.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Logic and reason are useless with alcoholics...

I, literally, cannot count the number of people I've met online and in person since 2003 who have tried to solve alcoholism intellectually-- it is, literally, a zero sum game.

IMHO you cannot think your way around alcoholism and there is nobody, and I mean nobody, who can help an alcoholic except the alcoholic.

"Helping" alcoholics helps them to keep drinking.

Focus on yourself-- that may seem odd to read, but Focus on yourself. Maybe start with an Alanon meeting or two (they are for people who love alcholics), or try a book called "Codependant No More." Don't get caught up in the titles-- just keep an open mind and give them a try.

Take care,

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
In my experience, presenting medical information to an addict/alcoholic is as useless as anything else we try to do to change them.

YOU could try stepping AWAY from the madness.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One would think the stimulant and cns depressent would just cancel each other out!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello thequest, and pleased to "meet" you

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
... Since the alkie's persona is that of a professional athlete/gym rat I was thinking maybe I could try to reason with some information...
Been there, done that. My ex _is_ a professional athlete and a total gym rat. She knows all about the human body, nutrition, etc. etc. None of that makes any difference at all when it comes to her addiction.

As others have mentioned, in the mind of an addict the addiction is the _only_ thing that matters. Everything else is just a means to getting more of the "high". If it were possible to reason with an addict.... they would reason with themselves and not need anybody's help to figure it out.

Mike
Old 01-04-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Never understood why people like alcohol with coffee! But some of the heaviest drinkers do!

Hmmmm...

Let's see here.... Alc. is a vasodilator and cns depressant while coffee is a vasoconstrictor and cns stimulant... Both are thought to have diuretic qualities... But put these two things together and imagine the heyday its having on the brain and blood vessels....
Vasodilator, that's the word I was looking for. One must wonder what the effects of artificially induced & sped up expansion & contraction of the blood vessels on a daily basis are.

I hope things like hot-cold and others are taught to the addict/alkie in a formal setting like counseling or rehab. If just one person learns something and can pass it down to others it would be a success.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

There's no shortage of readily available information online about the disastrous effects of alcohol on the body. If knowledge were the key, who would still be drinking?