Notices

Feels like I got beat with a baseball bat

Old 01-02-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feels like I got beat with a baseball bat

I'm American, but I live in Japan. It's different here. I like it here for the most part; however...not a great place for me to be. Establishments don't close until 5AM, and there are some places that are open 24/7. I started drinking 7PM on the 31st and didn't stop until 5AM today (currently January 2nd here).

I realized I had a problem about a week ago, after a very long night of drinking and ended up puking blood later that day after I woke up. I've acknowledge that drinking excessively has caused a lot of problems in my life that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I don't want to kick it completely, because I genuinely enjoy the taste of some drinks...but I realize I have to make an effort to get it under control.

I guess I could start setting alarms on my phone to go home after a certain time frame when I decide to go out in the future, but...idk. What works for you to drink responsibly?
Old 01-02-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When it comes to my history.....In short nothing, I came to realize many years ago I can't drink responsibility, that didn't stop this addictive voice from trying to get me to drink in moderation, I always ended up in the same place, out of control.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm an Australian living in Japan, I feel your pain.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Opcode,
Welcome to the forum. I personally can not drink responsibly! I don't think you will find many on this site who can give advice on that as we are all trying to remove alcohol from our lives permanently. Please reread what you wrote- you threw up blood and then went on a 48 hour bender? Why not remove it from your life and let your body heal? I think you should see a doctor to check on your overall general health.
I wish you well and hope that you decide to stop drinking.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

What works for me to drink responsibly?

Nothing.

I tried everything I could think of over and over again until i got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I finally gave in and accepted that that is not possible for me.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by opcode View Post

I realized I had a problem about a week ago, after a very long night of drinking and ended up puking blood later that day after I woke up.

I guess I could start setting alarms on my phone to go home after a certain time frame when I decide to go out in the future, but...idk. What works for you to drink responsibly?
hmmmmm - discharging blood would be a pretty good alarm for me to stop drinking......
Nothing worked for me to drink responsibly. However stopping and staying stopped thus far has been life changing.

Thanks for the thread - reminds me of my own insanity of repeating behaviors that cost me dearly.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nothing helped for me....I tried to moderate but couldn't. Though your plan reminds me of mine when I did cocaine years ago. I wasn't physically addicted to coke but loved the feeling at social events.....but at the same time, I was sick to death of staying up all night long and seeing daylight. So I just thought "No lines after midnight". Worked for awhile, and then it didn't. While high, I just changed my mind and wanted to keep the party going. I just stopped one day and never looked back. Cocaine was easy to stop for me compared to drinking.

Alcohol, though I could moderate for a period, set "rules" for my binges, etc....within a short time I would be drinking daily again, then the occasional blackout started up or I'd make a complete ass of myself.

The blood thing sounds awful bad. I might get to a Dr.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I relapsed horribly every time I tried to "drink responsibly." For me, drinking is an all or nothing, life or death proposition.

Addicts can't use in moderation. It was tough for me to accept that I had an addiction.

Face it -- most people would have stopped drinking after bleeding like you did. Do you think you might have more than a problem, that you might have an addiction?

If so, it changes the terms of the battle.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome opcode to SR! Most of us here have tried moderation and failed. Please reread your post and ask if you would counsel that person to keep drinking because of the taste?

Read around this site, including stickies... it's really helpful. Best of luck to you!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What works for you to drink responsibly?

If I knew that I wouldn't be a member of this website.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

opcode, I'll add one more post.

I tired to drink responsibly for 30 years. I've probably done it a week or two at a time but always fell back to my old pattern. For alcoholics it's just what we do. Sorry for the bad news.

There are internet sites that claim to help alcohol abusers to drink responsibly you can find a few and read. The fact there are so few of them it makes one think.

Set an alarm or better yet set a limit...say 6 drinks. See if you can do it for a few weeks. If you can do it you're a better man than I Gunga Din!

If you fail and go back to your old pattern you will need help. Please come back and post either way.

Best Wishes for your New Year
Old 01-02-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I try never to give medical advice and usually ignore that part of posts but "puking blood " sounds very serious. A doctor visit sounds like a smart move.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

What works for me to drink responsibly?

Not drinking at all. Trying to control or moderate my drinking was not only exhausting but a complete failure and waste of precious time.

Since you are having physical ramifications due to drinking, quitting completely may be your only choice. Please get checked out by a Dr.

And, waking up not feeling like you got hit by a baseball bat is a much better way to live!
Old 01-02-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just like almost everyone here I have to say that I cannot drink at all. That's the only responsible drinking I can do. After a certain point in addiction there is almost no going back to a previous state. When you drink, it by definition, alters what you think and do so any idea you have about how much or when to stop goes right out the window because its your impaired mind trying to make the decision. You cant use the same diseased organ" your mind" to fix a problem in the same organ. Its not fair to you in all my addiction experience is impossible. Best of luck, we are here and rooting for you.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome OpCode
Old 01-02-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"What works for you to drink responsibly? " Abstinence from alcohol and drink water, soda, coffee or tea. Works every time.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi there.

Your post reminds me a bit of my first post. Mine was something along the lines of "I live in a Latin country in a major wine producing region where wine and alcohol is just an inherent part of everday life everywhere for everyone. So I don't want to stop, just drink moderately". People here, as always, were marvelously kind and diplomatic but looking back I realise they must of all of been thinking "here we go again, another newbie who only wants to cut back on the booze"

Fast forward a few weeks. I had around 8 attempts to "cut back" in 14 days and ended up drunk each time. It was at that time I realised that cutting back is never going to work for me. I am an alcoholic. I can't drink again ever. Regardless of where I live and the habits of people around me. Our clubs and bars also close at 4am, people sometimes drink for breakfast, wine is served with every single meal including at work, but I am finally starting to deal with it. It's my problem. No one else's.

I have a question. What would drinking "moderately" be for you? What would you hope to achieve in terms of a lifestyle where alcohol plays a "reasonable" part?

There are some great tasting drinks without alcohol in them! I am discovering new ones everyday!!
Old 01-02-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

Originally Posted by opcode View Post
I realized I had a problem about a week ago, after a very long night of drinking and ended up puking blood later that day after I woke up. I've acknowledge that drinking excessively has caused a lot of problems in my life that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I don't want to kick it completely, because I genuinely enjoy the taste of some drinks...but I realize I have to make an effort to get it under control.

What works for you to drink responsibly?
Nothing worked for me, opcode. I tried every method and means to be able to drink responsibly.

I couldn't do it because once I introduce alcohol onto my system a change takes place and all I want to do is get wasted.

Once I finally accepted that I could let alcohol go. I'm the better for it in every possible way.

If you're puking blood - and you still hope there's a place for alcohol in your life - you might want to consider you're the same kind of drinker I was. There's no normal drinking for folks like us.

Things will only get worse from here, op - unless you quit for good.

D
Old 01-02-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like all the others, moderating/controlling drinking didn't work for me at all. Stopping drinking completely was the answer for me.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am not sure I agree that abstinence is the only answer. I'm sure that it is for some people - but maybe not everyone? I am not a great example. I have not yet sorted out my own answers. But maybe you can experiment a bit and see. Saying that, if you are getting to the stage where are puking blood, it sounds like a sensible idea to abstain totally at least for a while. Talk to a doctor. Then make decisions after that. This might just be a 'time and place' thing.

Like I said, I am very lost and am dealing with my own messy problems, but I'm just not sure that abstinence is the only way. A break, at least, and sort out your medical issues. Think about your triggers. Are you lonely? Are there psychiatric issues? Can you replace the impulsiveness with healthier habits? Maybe you can find a balance. Maybe not.

All the best, we're all thinking of you.