Notices

So ashamed

Old 01-01-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So ashamed

I'm struggling to stay sober. I've been a closet drinker for about 8 years, vodka in secret, wine in public. Far too much of both.

I've decided that listing a few of the things I've done as a result of alcohol might help me release some of my shame and make 'sober me' stronger.

Wonder how many of you identify with these:

Sneaking shots of vodka at my then 5 year old sons birthday party.

Picking kids up from school after downing half a bottle of vodka (walk not drive thankfully)

Hiding empties under middle sons bed which he then found and the look of disappointment on my husbands face when he realised I was drinking in secret again.

Replacing contents of a bottle of red wine with water and food colouring so hubby thought I'd just had half a bottle when infact I'd had a whole bottle plus my usual secret half bottle of vodka.

Passing out for a couple of hours, (mummy needs a nap) then talking bollocks when I wake up as I have no idea what time it is or what day and I'm just winging it until I can work it out.

Sitting in a supermarket car park decanting newly purchased vodka into empty water bottles to take home.

Realising my eldest son (then 8) had seen me sneaking a drink from my secret bottle which I stashed unde my wardrobe when he said to me 'I've got a secret hiding place too mummy'

I could go on and on. Just writing these down opens the old wounds and strengthens my resolve to get sober.

I pray that with the help of the SR community I can do it this time.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You CAN do this! Take the first step and make the commitment. I'm rooting for you. New year, new you. Start today.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Jecrois. You're right, I CAN do this. I WILL do this. I will beat my AV, that bitch is going down!
Old 01-01-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do this. We both can do this
Old 01-01-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're right Lisa we can do this. I managed 6 months last year before my AV got the better of me and convinced me I could handle a few drinks now and again. Within weeks I was up to my old tricks.

I now picture my AV as a spiteful jealous trouble maker, helps me to ignore her.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Time to draw a line once and for all under alcohol, it's doing you no favours, only causing misery!!

Get a plan together, and make it happen, though nothing changes if nothing changes, when I finally accepted and parted ways with alcohol on a permanent basis, life started to look up!!

You can do this!!
Old 01-01-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome to SR !

Sobriety is indeed possible with the willingness to change - sounds like you have some good motivation to get started
Old 01-01-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate to your post so deeply. You are not alone. I don't have any wisdom to offer as I'm struggling myself. Just know you are not alone.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Come here often and post instead of drinking.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loopylou69 View Post

I pray that with the help of the SR community I can do it this time.
Welcome -- you are in a good place here.
MB
Old 01-01-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi loopylou, welcome to SR. It's a great place to start. Helped me enormously in the beginning and still does.

Just reach out to us, there's always someone about any time night or day.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do it. I'm pulling for you. Rule #1 never have that first drink.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, just remember those events are in the past and I smiled when I saw you mention your AV.

This AV will go to any length to get us to drink, sometimes subtle wearing us down, sometimes pretty loud. I believe, or at least in my case, it will try anything, make me ashamed, fear, guilt and then try to convince me the best way to deal with it is to have a drink.

My AV's issue is I am onto it big time, I am paying very close attention and I am sure it is very frustrated as is yours for reaching out and sharing.

We are here for you and each other, that is one of the many tools that can and will keep us sober.

All the best in 2016 and come back often, even if it's to read another story shared, one thing I do know is no matter what I have done, someone else can relate and help, that is why forums like this work, many of us have been there and are now working on staying sober. It gets easier every day, at least for me because I know I want sobriety at all costs. I shared with my GF today, while I love the ground she walks on, nothing is more important than my sobriety, I said it as I meant it, she told me later in the morning that my comment was comforting.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, I can relate to the incidents you mentioned. It is an awful, sinking feeling when the kids see you, even if they aren't fully aware of what you're hiding.
SR is a great place to help you on your road to recovery. Keep posting and let us all know how you are doing.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

the best thing to do now Loopy is face forward... and keep going

welcome

D
Old 01-01-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Loopy!!

You came to the right place for support.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Loopy, it's so freeing to step away from all the lies and secrets and live an authentic life. It sounds like you're ready to do that.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

My heart hurts to read your post...the horror I felt when my young son opened the dishwasher to find a half empty bottle...asking so sweetly why it was in there...and yes...showing up to kids school with a buzz on...keeping a close eye on my 'water' bottle so the kids don't accidentally take a gulp of vodka...all of the above and then some...the pain of those memories breaks my heart. I've been sober for 20 days and spent many tears each of those days in shame and guilt and absolute wonder at how I could have done all of it (for so long). I know the prison of horror from being both inside the bottle...and now out of it. But I trust what I am told here...that it will get better and the pain will lessen and the days will get brighter. Some hours I am barely hanging on...but I am SO GRATEFUL to be sad and sober rather than sad and drunk. Please be kind to yourself and stay sober..even if you are barely hanging on...find a way to stay sober.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Rahrah, that really hit home with me. To be sad and sober vs sad and drunk. 100%. Sad and sober will win any day.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

It's the lesser of two evils right Shanti...I'm gonna be in pain no matter what...when I'm sober the pain hurts only me...when I'm drinking the pain hurts everyone else....so if I'm picking the lesser of 2 evils.