Notices

I need to stop NOW

Old 01-01-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to stop NOW

Had a bad night last night. I went against everything I planned and ended up totally wasted. I broke up with my partner via text, totally over reacting to a problem we've been having. I realize now how bad my drinking is. I need to stop before it ruins my life. I'm just hoping she'll forgive me (again) for this round of drunken nonsense. I'm not drinking for pleasure, I'm drinking for...in fact I don't even know. I am depressed and really fed up now
I just need someone to talk to who gets how I feel. I don't think I can carry on like this any more
Old 01-01-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can start to turn it all around today. Just don't pick up another drink. Apologize to the person you hurt but keep the focus on you and your sobriety. You can do this.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Jimmy. We've all been where you are now. It does get better when the shame fades.

Coming here and staying here is great start. whether your partner forgives you is a separate issue - you can get sober for you and have a great life and never have to feel the way you feel now ever again
Old 01-01-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Everybody here has been where you are now.

Your timing is perfect because a lot of people are here committing to make 2016 a sober year. Myself included (and I'm not feeling very well at the moment, either.) Why not jump on board and join us?

There's a thread somewhere around here called Class of January 2016 -- all the people who are going sober in January. Check it out! It's great to see how many of us there are. We are not alone!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jimmy, I felt equally as lost and devastated as you do when I stopped drinking. I was exhausted and hated myself. You can change things and be the person you want to be. I don't know whether your relationship will survive, but you do have control over whether or not you drink. There is lots of hope.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Jimmy. I completely empathize with you. I have hurt those I love most over and over because of drink. It hurts, bad. For us and for them. No matter what happens, however, make this day one. You are not the person they see when you are drunk. You know this.

Please make today your sober beginning. I believe in you no matter what.

((((Jimmy))))
Old 01-01-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

So how are you going to tackle this? Do you need help detoxing?

Once you get safely detoxed, then you can start on the work of recovery. I've quit twice before myself but relapsed because I didn't have a plan for how to fill the void alcohol left, how to deal with cravings, etc.

I'd encourage you to use today to do some planning. It will help because instead of looking back at last night's catastrophe, you will be starting to look forward.
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jimmy. Stick around. This is a great site.
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support you find, both here and in real life, can help you get sober for good. You never have to feel this badly again.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm really struggling today, i feel completely alone. It's good to know I can come here.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're not alone! You have all of us
Old 01-01-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can draw a line under your drinking once and for all Jimmy!!

Go at things again, get a plan together and you can make it happen!!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Jecrois.

I think this is going to be a hard road from now on in. I have issues I think that are going to need sorting out as well as the drinking.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I come on here everyday Jimmy. I read this site which is huge and often go into the chat room. It can be a real part of your recovery if you want it.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hey jimmyhow. Many of us have issues that we've used alcohol to deal with. What I can tell you is you weren't working on solving those issues while drinking. You're just putting them in a corner hoping they'll go away. They won't. If you have hope to address those issues you have to start by being sober.

I've spent over 30 years trying to address then with alcohol. It doesn't work. And, yeah, I'm a slow learner.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did the same thing to an ex, imagined he was doing bad stuff he wasn't doing, wrote him a break up text then fell asleep. I felt HORRIBLE about it the next day. He was good to me and absolutely did not deserve that.

Hope you'll come back here, frequently. You will learn so much. I've seen a number of members say that posting and reading on this board is how they got sober and turned their lives around for good.

Have you looked into starting a recovery program? Some posters say they need a recovery problem to commit to, as well as this board. There's a lot of help out there from those who totally get it.
Don't ever give up on yourself
Old 01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

He jimmy we've all been here, that awful feeling of regret after going too far, were u alone or were u tempted out with others?? When i get the urge u must come to us!!!! We'll talk u out of it
Old 01-01-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Jimmy,
Don't worry, we all have issues! By opening up you will realize that your issues have common threads that we can all relate to. Every journey begins with a single step, I'm glad you're here. Your life is going to get so much better!
Old 01-01-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jimmy
Old 01-01-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem back Jimmy

I posted on your other thread, but basically///make a recovery plan - make one and commit to it. You absolutely can change, providing you have the will and the effort

have you any ideas on a plan yourself?

D
D