Notices

A humbling thought

Old 09-12-2004, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A humbling thought

i just got to thinking that because i am clean and sober today, does not mean i will be clean and sober tomorrow. i take for granted the fact that i am clean and sober. theres a lot of people who lose hope, and i dont want to forget JUST how easy it is to lose my hope.

that doesnt mean that i dont have to plan on being clean for the rest of my life. ive found a lot of ways to stay clean and i have a lot of resources that i can use. i just want to live in the present instead of the future. then, as i focus on the present, my future will look brighter and brighter.

rock on!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

((Dot))
I am so glad I saw this. I try to live one day at a time, but it's easy to forget. It's a good thing we all have each other to help us get back on track. Hugs, Magic
Old 09-13-2004, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sam082602

Remember that all we are promised is today, this 24 hours right now!!

Old 09-13-2004, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

But if you plan, and practice the tools you've used to achieve sobriety today, you can increase the likelihood that you'll be sober tomorrow and into the future.
Sobriety is a planned condition....
Don S
Old 09-13-2004, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Yea, I bugged on the future thing to. But finally got it, I have just today, the present, and for me, that will work. *hugs*
Old 09-13-2004, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

rock on magic, sam, don, chy! i had a great day today. i waver between having to just stay in the day to being able to look to next week. i say, whatever works! today fortunately has been a looking to next week day with a little bit of staying in the hour. haha.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Oh yes

Staying in the day is very important for me. I have picked up a drink after periods of sobriety - (always horrid, never worth it - I'm learning) - and the main reason.....

Projecting - imagining events that may or may not happen, and blowing them way out of proportion. Then dwelling on these imagined fears - crazy huh.? This could be anything in "normal" life. Finances, relationships, people, jobs, .... anything. At least I recognise this now so I can do something about it ..... like stay in the day, just get this 24 hours right, only concern myself with today. That I can handle.

much love

JC
Old 09-14-2004, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hey Dot,
I'm guilty of planning for tomorrow, but it's a flash in the pan. It is important to stay in the moment because just when we think we've got it all figured out it can go completely up in smoke (that first drink).
I've done it so many times that I'm sure I'll blow up if it happens again.
I'm glad you're here Dot. I love reading your posts.
Sandy
Old 09-14-2004, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jay,

whoa do i know what you mean! sometimes i start worrying that my mom will die, and then i get so freaked out and ive already got the funeral planned. then i think, okay when this happens, im going back to using, because i couldnt possibly handle something like that!? i have a lot of those fears. and i certainly blow them out of proportion, haha.

Sandy,

im glad your here too! your posts rock. i think most of the time that things should always be good or they should always make me happy. just this morning a cd was making me sad and i changed it. then i though, "do i live every day just trying to be happy? is that realistic?" i havent figured that out yet, but i say "the happier the better!". i know my addiction will pop up whether im happy or sad, its funny that way. but i think the happier i am, the better chance i have of not doing something stupid or drinking or using!

hugs,

dotster
Old 09-14-2004, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me it helps to pause throught the day to make sure I am doing the right thing. Kind of a check. My thoughts like to go off in all sorts of directions, some unhealthy temptations can creep in. To ensure a sucessfull future, I know I have to keep working on making the next right decision.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It took me a long time to understand that making the plan was ok.. Getting outraged and blaming anyone and everyone when it didn't go the way I wanted it to or as soon as I wanted it to wasn't ok.

Plan the plan .. accept the outcome.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

marty,

good idea thanks!

gooch,

yeah its funny how things never go how they are planned.

rock on,

dot