Notices

Rocky patch at 6 months

Old 12-31-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rocky patch at 6 months

I recently celebrated 6 months alcohol free, and it's been an amazingly wonderful time. It has felt like getting to know myself again, and finally feeling like I'm being the person I want to be. My mood is overall so much better, and I'm getting out and doing things I wouldn't have done before.

But over the last two weeks the one thing that has been challenging for me since quitting has reared its head again, and that is this strange anxiety and sense of being over-reactive or over-emotional. This has popped up occasionally since I quit and usually in response to certain triggers. The big trigger lately was that I was dating someone, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, so I'm feeling rather disappointed. (I now better understand why many recommend not dating for the first year of recovery, but that's another post!) Other triggers include simple things like reading the news. When I see all the things going on in the world, I start to feel a panic coming on, so I just avoid it altogether.

I didn't used to be this way, so I find it all pretty strange. It's like I'm not regulating my feelings the way I did before my problems with alcohol. Thankfully this is just episodic and not all the time, but I'm really hoping it will fade away and I'll be back to my normal self soon. I assume this is all just typical PAWS & thankfully it's never made me want to drink. So that's something to be very grateful for!

I'm sure this topic is covered periodically, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has had similar PAWS symptoms and would be willing to share how long it took for them to fade away. (I thought they were gone, but they seem to have come back recently strong as ever.)

Happy new year, everyone! Wishing you all a beautiful and sober new year!
Old 12-31-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had over-reaction problems for the entire first year. Mostly I was able to contain them between my ears, but yeah. I think it's part of the nervous system/brain healing. They were worse on some days, better on others with no discernable reasons why. If I got regular exercise, it helped tremendously; even a 30 minute brisk walk.

At a year, I noticed a marked difference in that reaction. I did a lot of studying about PTSD which was helpful. I think it's just a matter of time - but I understand that feeling like, "Hm, how do un-learn this?"

((hugs)) on the relationship thing. Ugh is all I can say.

I stay away from the news in general, but I've done that for many years. The news is all about fear. I can come up with enough fears internally, I don't need any external ones.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

6 Months is fantastic N3p3nth3!!

For me things took time to settle emotionally, and then even when they did I'd still find myself having off weeks, but they too also become less frequent as time went on.

Hang in there!!
Old 12-31-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it just takes time to find a comfortable place for you. Living life without benefit of numbing, is not easy at first, so just try to be patient and have faith that you will feel more comfortable and figure things out. Six months sober is fantastic.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I had over-reaction problems for the entire first year. Mostly I was able to contain them between my ears, but yeah.
Yea, I seem to be doing a good job of keeping it 'between my ears' as well. People at work joke about how I'm the calmest person around. I always think to myself, 'oh, if only they knew...'

I went to a few meetings over the last few days in light of my little roller-coaster ride this week, and that has helped tremendously.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm just shy of six months and finding it to be a rough time, as well. Definitely physical stuff.

I'm also reminded of moving... I've lived in a lot of different places, and there's always a pattern to the adjustment. Always a rush at first, then frustration/annoyance at adapting to new circumstances, then working hard and being pleased with the results, then more annoyance when you still feel like an outsider... those are all in the first year for me. Then sometime in the second year I start to feel a sense of ownership of the new place, and things just get better from there.

So drawing on that experience, I'd say I'm in the "frustrated because I'm still an outsider" (or in this case, frustrated that I've worked hard but oh hey I have to still work hard? wtf?) stage. On top of that whatever nervous system and brain stuff is going on.

I hope it passes soon but I'm also actively seeking out the next thing to try to work on to make this whole thing easier.

Good luck to you!! Glad you got to some meetings. I should try to make more time for that too.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 6 months