Notices

Day 4: Feeling Better, Lessons Learned

Old 12-31-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4: Feeling Better, Lessons Learned

I'm on Day 4 today and feeling better each day. This isn't my first shot at recovery, but I'm trying to learn each time I try and fail (failure is feedback, learn from it and get better!). What I'm doing different this time is a LOT, but here are a few things that seems to help:

1. I've generally upped my game. Everything I do, every day, starts with keeping my sobriety. I didn't realize before how intense the effort would be, but this time around I've pulled out the stops.

2. I am meditating 15-30 minutes each day using some online guided meditations. These are amazing. I do it in the morning and feel it's a real workout for my brain in mindfulness that lasts the rest of the day.

3. I created a recovery plan, complete with goals, triggers, and trigger action plans (thanks for the resource Dee). I read it each morning and commit to following it.

4. I created a "craving kit" for my car that contains snacks and gatorade for when I feel thirsty or hungry. One of my triggers is eating/hunger. My drinking witching hours are about 4-6, so I also set an alarm on my phone to eat a fairly large meal at 3pm, blunting the drinking urge proactively. I plan to eat something every two hours throughout the day.

4. When negative thoughts come up, I address them immediately. Yesterday (Day 3) was particularly challenging in that I was really cranky and the negative talk machine was on full blast. I had to pull over my car a few times to breathe into the thoughts and practice "turning them upside down" to positive thoughts.

5. I went to my first AA meeting in a while this week and it was hugely helpful to listen to others - I even got up the nerve to share my story and it was SO helpful to be honest in front of a group.

6. I also recite my gratitudes when I wake up, am taking multi-vitamins and B vitamin daily, am working out (even if just a little, it feels good) and drinking LOTS of water. Keep a bottle with at all times.

My ongoing challenges:

-Sleeping better, but still not great. But at least not waking up with lots of anxiety or a puffy face.
- Digestion is off, feeling bloated. Hoping with time this corrects itself.
- Worried about going back to work Monday with a new set of challenges, but for now trying to focus on today.

I've said NO to any New Years events this weekend and YES to myself and my sobriety. Tonight I plan to celebrate my sobriety at home as a great way to start a new year.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like you've got a good sobriety plan. Congrats on four days sober. It gets better.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a great plan.

I particularly like the fact you meditate in the morning which helps you stay mindful all day. I hadn't figured out the importance of mindfulness in the early days of my recovery, but it makes such a positive difference.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Wow, I love this post!

I've quit a few times as well but always relapsed due to not having a plan like yours. I'm getting ready for my quit date and will add some of your tips to my plan. In fact, may I ask where you got these ideas? I have a plan but it could always be enhanced!

I remember how much better I started to feel after just a few days sober, and am very much looking forward to enjoying that again!

What a great way for you to start the New Year!!!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent post SunnyDenver
Old 12-31-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Even with a many one days at a
time sober and living a life in recovery,
applying what has been taught to me
25 yrs. ago in a 28 day rehab facility,
I still continue learn healthier ways
to remain sober, healthy, happy and
honest.

It's an on going journey adding to my
own ESH - experiences, strengths and
hopes of what my life was and is like,
before, during and after my alcohol
addiction always remaining openminded,
and willing to do whatever I need to do
to insure a healthy, happy, free life for
many more one days at a time ahead of
me.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 4 is fantastic SunnyDenver!! Keep it going!!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

great stuff SunnyDenver

D