Notices

Black dog, purple rain and a monkey on my back

Old 12-31-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Black dog, purple rain and a monkey on my back

As you may have deduced from the title I am not feeling good today. In fact I have not really got out of bed yet (it is afternoon here).

Not wanting to drink. Not craving anything. Just have a horrible knot of sadness in my tummy and want to pull the quilt over my head and disappear.

I wanted to ask a stupid question. Are benzos only tranquilliser type meds such as Valium? Or are they also sleeping pills?

I have been taking sleeping pills this week, prescribed by my Dr for a short term of no more than 2 weeks. I have never really taken sleeping pills and I suspect it is these pills that are making me depressed and lifeless despite the fact I am finally getting a great 8 hours sleep.

Have any of you guys experienced this even with taking sleeping pills for just a couple of days?

(Reminder : I am only 54 days sober)

Happy 2016 to one and all.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 54 Fabat sorry today is a toughie but know you got your friends around you rootin for you bud
Old 12-31-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear it's a tough day. Would it be so bad to have a rest / down day? Just that sometimes the urge to rest up can be indulged.
I can't be informative on sleeping pills, but I can share that some cold and flu remedy stuff I've been taking over the holidays have left me a bit blue. I wonder if we are more sensitive to meds now that we're not masking everything with drink?
Take care of yourself whatever and remember haw fantastic 54 days sober is!
xx
Old 12-31-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fabat, sorry you are not feeling well. But sometimes we all have an off day when the only solution is to crawl under your duvet :-)

Sleeping pills can definitely make you sleepy and groggy all day - everyone reacts differently. For example, even things like Nyquil will knock me out for a night and a good half next day - I wake up but I am totally out of it the day after I take it. So I avoid it. I also have had bad reactions to pain meds in the past that I needed to take for my shoulder.

Check with your doctor - you may need a different prescription!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Yes, these drugs can make you feel depressed. Even weird. Lifeless as you say.
Check out the side-effects (doctor/net) of the drugs you are taking and would take special note on the sleeping pills. Don't underestimate Valium either. Thank goodness your doctor only prescribed short term but would talk to him/her about those feelings of lifelessness and depression and that you think the sleeping pills might be connected.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you taking benzos for sleep? Yes they can be prescribed to help with sleep but normally they are used to treat anxiety and to detox alchies. Yes Valium is a benzo. All are very addictive and really tough to detox from.

Prescription sleep aids, like Ambien, can make one very groggy and are often prescribed in dosages that are way too high. I can't take them....they make me sleep walk and do really weird stuff. Ask your dr about the dosage you are taking if you are taking Ambien. Like any sleep aid, they should be short term. Maybe ask your dr about a more natural solution like melatonin or somna pure. 2 weeks doesn't sound like a big deal but after that addiction can be a concern.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 54 Fabat!!

It's still early days though, and with the body and mind still adjusting from alcohol it's not out of the question to have a few off days, and even when you're past early Sobreity there's still going to be good and bad days, that's the way life just sometimes is.

Be good to yourself, if you feel like having a few sofa days, don't beat yourself up, have some rest, it's all good whilst your body is healing and adjusting, and the Sober days are clocking up!!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fabat, sleeping problems are pretty common in early sobriety.

It has taken me many years to finally say NO to all drugs that are for anxiety, depression, sleep issues. They all have side-effects that I'm not willing to live with - such as what you are describing.

It's also common to have an emotional letdown after an event like a big family Christmas - so give yourself a break. It's human.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I have a TON of firsthand experience on this, unfortunately. One of the root causes of my alcohol addiction is insomnia so I've been through the whole menu of sleep meds.

Benzodiazapenes are often prescribed for sleep -- Xanax, Valium, etc.

But more often prescribed sleep meds are in a class of drugs called sedative-hypnotics. For some reason I don't recall, these are considered "nonbenzodiazapenes." Anyhow, popular drugs are Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata, etc.

I became addicted to Ambien and required medical help to get off of it. When I first started using it, I felt drugged at all times. As my use went into YEARS, the side effects worsened, my sleep worsened, and the cross-addiction of booze and Ambien was really taking a toll. When I tapered off Ambien, my sleep and overall wellbeing got a whole lot better.

Feel better soon, and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I decided to "tough out" my post-drinking insomnia so I didn't get addicted
to something else.

I have never regretted that one bit.
Maybe discuss with your doctor stopping the meds ASAP
if they are having a negative effect.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Tell your doctor how you're feeling. Might be time to stop taking them if they're making you feel bad during the day. But see your doctor first.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Are you taking benzos for sleep? Yes they can be prescribed to help with sleep but normally they are used to treat anxiety and to detox alchies. Yes Valium is a benzo. All are very addictive and really tough to detox from.

Prescription sleep aids, like Ambien, can make one very groggy and are often prescribed in dosages that are way too high. I can't take them....they make me sleep walk and do really weird stuff. Ask your dr about the dosage you are taking if you are taking Ambien. Like any sleep aid, they should be short term. Maybe ask your dr about a more natural solution like melatonin or somna pure. 2 weeks doesn't sound like a big deal but after that addiction can be a concern.
I am taking Zolpidem (don't know if it has the same name elsewhere) which if I understand is only for sleeping problems.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Guys. You are all so kind. You really are a bunch of "virtual friends".

I am going to stop the meds. I have only taken them for less than a week and as some of you have pointed out I don't want to swap one problem for another. Addiction to anything may kill me. Not sleeping well won't!

I agree also that it is the post Xmas come down. Tired, spent too much money, my children are away with their Dad and its just me, a good film, the dog and a cup of hot chocolate tonight (which I don't mind at all and I had planned for but it is certainly feeling a little weird!)

Appreciate you taking the time to post.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Honestly the period of sobriety you are starting was my hardest. Not the not drinking part, but the physical and mental state. My body and mind just weren't there for a month or so. My mind was so foggy I began to wonder if I had major permanent damage. Then it started getting better. At around six months I remember thinking I felt pretty sharp and it had peaked but it continued to get better and better. Even at 14 months I was still noticing improvement.

Just hang in there and don't be too hard on yourself. There are great things ahead in sobriety.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Were here all night Fabat
Old 12-31-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

New Year came in around 30 minutes ago here. I said a few prayers, shed a few tears (not sure why) and repeated some positive affirmations about what I will do tomorrow and thanked my dog for his silent support!! I just feel an overwhelming sense of relief that the Holiday period, and all the emotions that come with it, is almost over and that I got through it sober. I honestly deep down did not think that I could do it. But turns out I am actually stronger than that AV would have me believe.I have you guys to thank for helping me. I hope next year will be easier.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Congratulations to you, Fabat50. This is a monumental achievement, and you will do well to sit and contemplate this, to understand the magnitude of this achievement. You are a brave and courageous person, who has succeeded where many others have failed. You are a badass, and you need to congratulate yourself. You did it, you are doing it, and you can continue to do it. For good.

Nothing can stand in front of you, and you will triumph simply because you have decided. You have all the power, and a life with joy and beauty and a little happiness in your own measure is waiting for you. Grab hold, and never let go. It is yours.

Onward!
Old 12-31-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fabat, zolpidem is the generic name for Ambien.

Definitely talk to your doc about this.

I took Ambien for nearly 20 years (about as long as it has been on the market) for severe insomnia. I was always careful to not abuse it. I took it 5 nights per week and deliberately skipped it on the weekends. Over the past 2 years I very slowly tapered down. I now take 5 mg (the smallest dose, I think) once or twice a week.

Many years ago I taught myself self-hypnosis to control pain. I hadn't used it in years. As I've tapered off Ambien, I've been practicing self-hypnosis again. It works some of the time.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations Fabat on getting through the holidays sober! Well done!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy new year Fabat and everyone else. Fabat it sounds like 2015 began a life transformation. May 2016 continue this. Peace, joy and healing to you.