Notices

If not now .... when?

Old 12-30-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

If not now .... when?

I've been watching a lot of the OWN channel lately. Not a big fan of Oprah Winfrey (I think she has an exaggerated sense of her own importance in the world and it's disturbing how many people worship her), but she has a new Weight Watchers commercial that is really resonating with me. It's about losing weight and taking charge of your life, but the message can easily be applied to addiction as well. She talks about using the wrong tools, relying on the wrong things, trying and failing constantly, not reaching out for help and struggling to achieve what seems to be an unattainable goal. At the end of the commercial, she says she came to a powerful moment in which she asked herself, "If not now ... when?"

I had to ask myself the same thing when it came to getting sober. It was always "tomorrow," or after some holiday or some vague point in time. There was always a reason to keep drinking until some undetermined point in time. I could drag that "time" out indefinitely so I could continue to excuse my drinking. It was always, "Well, as soon as the holidays are over and my son is back in school," or "Well, it's a stressful time at work, but it will be over in a couple of weeks and I'll start then," or "Let me just get through my divorce and then I can get sober." Ad nauseum. It was never "now."

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, and while I've been struggling, I keep having that voice in my head saying, "If not now ... when?" The truth is, I could drink for the next ten years while giving myself a "pass" for whatever reason. That's what we do. At some point, I have to say it's now or never.

So it's NOW. No more excuses, no more rationalizations. Now. Because if it isn't now, then it could be after I've lost everything. If it even happens then. Not acceptable.

I will be on SR much more often from here on out. Always a great source of support and encouragement. I need that now. Thank you for being here for me, and letting me share.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff
Old 12-30-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a great 2016 ahead for you DS

D
Old 12-30-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This really resonates with me. I've quit so many times only to come up with another excuse to drink again. Then I'm forced to pick a new quit date. If not now, when? is exactly right. Nice post
Old 12-30-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like your doing great. I totally get the I'll stop after .... I can stay sober for two months then an event will comes up and I tell myself I will just drink for that. I then go on a two week bender, surprise, surprise! I then miss work or appointments. Anyway have a good sober new year.😊😊😊
Old 12-30-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

It's Time to Turn and Fight!

Hi, DS. I'm new here, just starting to implement my Quit Plan.

I see you've been thinking about stopping for years. So have I. And I've been actively trying since March...but not quite serious enough about it to throw all my resources at it and make it my Number One Priority.

I figure we will all stop someday. Some of us will stop, recover, and enjoy life. Others will stop when they die an alcohol-related death. Others will stop when they're imprisoned. Bottom line is: there's a tragic expiration date stamped on the drinking careers of addicts, and none of us knows exactly when our clock will run out.

My health began deteriorating the last two years, so I knew my expiration date was approaching. It's imperative that I stop now so that I can recover and enjoy life. The only alternative to this is death or imprisonment. Continuing on with impunity isn't gonna happen.

Please dig in and stop now so that you can be one of those who goes on to enjoy a rich life. Because you don't know when your expiration date is, tomorrow or in 15 years. So don't play Russian Roulette. The longer you wait, the harder it gets. Dig in and I'll support you with whatever plan or approach you take. Turn and fight!