Notices

Mania/Bipolar resources and help

Old 12-30-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mania/Bipolar resources and help

I'm new to post on this thread, I tried to post on the mental health forum, but wasn't getting much response...

My cousin suffers from Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia. It has progressively gotten worse and worse over the years. My family fears she will never be able to live a normal life. She has tried every medication possible, but will continue to suffer with manic episodes even when she is taking her medication properly.
Recently, during a manic episode, she broke into a church and was screaming/dancing on a piano claiming to be God and the Devil. She was put on a 5150 hold, only to be released a few days later where she again, during a manic episode, disappeared and walked 40 miles barefoot.
Are there any "halfway" houses for people who suffer with this? She's be admitted several times to psych-wards, but perhaps somewhere long-term, with people who can help her focus on acclimating into society/finding the right medication, etc. seems like it would be best for her?...My family does not have the tools, nor means, to be able to help her with this battle. She is 19 years old, living at home.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of a place she can go for help?

Thank you.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

This is a tough question hope pray love. Normally I would recommend the Mental Health forum but as you have already done so there is no point in that

As for halfway houses - that does sound like a really good idea as a precise diagnosis and whatever follows by way of medicine must take time.

I'm sure such things are available for the well off but regular people it may be too much of a financial burden - I am from London so I don't really know what is and isn't covered under Medical Insurance Policies.

One thing you could try is contacting the Pacific Institute of Medical Research who are based in LA - they do supervised drug trials - in that area of mental health but I have little knowledge about their reputation or "standing" They might be worth a look.

All the best to yourself your niece and her family