Notices

Attention! Lots of positivity on 60 Days Sober.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attention! Lots of positivity on 60 Days Sober.

First I would like to thank everyone on this forum that has took time to check up on me and give me words of encouragement to stay on this sober path.

60 days ago I had to go to a 48 hour program by court order for my second DUI. At first I was extremely upset. I can’t drive for two years, have a ton of community service and other programs to attend. The cost for this program was $329 dollars and I had to sleep over for 2 nights with other people who were in the same situation as I was. Most of the guys in the program slept through all the movies and meeting but I made sure I was going to get my money’s worth. Watching all the movies and AA meetings I came to realize that I do have a problem. Everything just clicked and saw how I would end up if I continued the same path of constantly binge drinking on the weekends and occasionally on the weekdays. Once I left the program I made a vow that I would quit drinking.

That Sunday evening when I was dispatch from the drunk driving course, I knew I had to change. As soon as I got home my uncles and family members were drinking. I was highly upset and did not know how to manage. Everyone kept asking me “What’s wrong? Why aren’t you drinking? This is expensive whiskey take a cup!” I was tempted but knew that I could not take that first drink if I was serious about sobriety. I kindly declined, went into my room and started looking up as much information on alcohol abuse. I purchased a book on my kindle called “The Easy Way to Stop Drinking by Allen Carr.” That was the beginning of my sobriety.

Once I completed the book I learned about the poison alcohol really is and all the misconception I thought were true. For one, I thought alcohol gave me courage and confidence to speak to strangers. I was actually making a fool of myself when I was drunk as I slurred words and spoke nonsense. How about all the money spent on this poison. Why would I invest so much money on a poison that is highly addictive and harms my body? I was ignorant! Slowly I started to hate alcohol. All the problems I faced in the past and what I’m going through now only put more fire to my sobriety.

Fast forward to now, I feel great and confident. I no longer need a substance to make conversation with others. I’m working out, meditating and reading daily. A lot of people have noticed my improvement and this is just the beginning. I’m no longer controlled by fear and I’m taking more risk. I’m even in the process of opening my own business.
I knew about all the benefits I would receive once I stop drinking but was scared to change. Now let me warn you, this has not been an easy journey for me. Majority of my friends started to depart from me and no longer call me to hang out since I’m sober. This has hurt me tremendously, but as time pass, I’m starting to learn that the “so called” friends were actually drinking buddies and are not concerned about my wellbeing.

I'm real happy with life right now. The ups and down, the boredom and loneliness have taught me patience and I’m learned a lot about myself. I had my first sober Christmas and look forward to doing the same this New Years.
To every one of you still struggling seek help because it’s worth it. I thought there would be no life for me without alcohol but as time pass, I see a whole new lifestyle that’s prosperous and fulfilling.

Thanks for reading!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congratulations ghostface, keep yourself alive

2016 will be something to look forward to and enjoy
Old 12-29-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60 days GhostFace
Old 12-29-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations, GhostFace! Reading your thread really helped push me to create an account here and take some responsibility for myself, so thanks!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on sixty days sober! Keep it up!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there Ghost, its good to read this post of yours. I can relate to a lot you mention here. For one, I also have had 2 DUIs and had to do a couple programs for them. My first one costed a bit over 500 dollars and was 3 months of once a week meetings. This also suspended my license for a year instead of 6 months because I was under the drinking age of 21. I got 3 driving on suspendeds after that which prolonged my my suspensions. Once I finally got my license back after time and lots of money in cour fines, I got another DUI after a rap concert. This time it was an 18 month program that required once a week meetings and this one costed about 1600 dollars split up into payments and 2 years with no license.

I would like to say this all caused me to quit drinking for good but it didn't. It did cause me to quit drinking and driving and helped to plant the seed for sobriety though. S---s rough man but I'm glad you've come this far. From your name and avatar pic it seems that your a Wu Tang fan right?

Im just a tad bit ahead of you with almost 3 months of sobriety. It has gotten better here as well, keep up the good work.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60 days!
Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would like to say this all caused me to quit drinking for good but it didn't. It did cause me to quit drinking and driving and helped to plant the seed for sobriety though. S---s rough man but I'm glad you've come this far. From your name and avatar pic it seems that your a Wu Tang fan right?
Wu-Tang is forever! It relieves me to know that im not the only one going through this. I commend you on your sobriety. I have a program to attend to this evening as well. It's just the intake and im not sure what they are going to tell me. So much money! I have to look at the positive side and be thankful that i took all this to sober up.

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nicely written. And congrats on 60 days.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on 2 months GhostFace and many more to come. So glad you are here on SR and enjoying your sobriety

Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent achievement reaching day 60 you have done seriously well really impressed by your journey GhostFace
Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome GF!!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations GhostFace. Moving into my second week. I'm holding my head up a bit more and eye contact easier. So much shame. Very happy for you because we all know how cruel alcoholism can be. The great pretender.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Congrats on 60 days Ghostface. Well done!
Old 12-29-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great GhostFace, and I agree that having patience is so important in early recovery.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60! Sounds like you have the tools to keep going! After reading this and looking back on my first time I went 3 months. I quit talking about my addiction to people that understand and slowly let my av take over and let me think that I was in control I can handle everything now...you went 3 months! Well a year later and here I am again starting all over again. Thanks for your read and I look foreward to hearing more updates from you as well
Old 12-29-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoshUrsan View Post
Congrats on 60! Sounds like you have the tools to keep going! After reading this and looking back on my first time I went 3 months. I quit talking about my addiction to people that understand and slowly let my av take over and let me think that I was in control I can handle everything now...you went 3 months! Well a year later and here I am again starting all over again. Thanks for your read and I look foreward to hearing more updates from you as well

Thank you, this is something I fear myself. I relapse before so I need to remind myself that I have everything to loose if I take that first drink
Old 12-29-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. I needed to read it. You are an inspiration.

I am 51 days and going through a tough patch. When I read your "exercising, meditating, reading" comment it reminded me how much stronger I am when I do these 3 things. So I will redouble my efforts tomorrow.

Best of luck
Old 12-29-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's awesome Ghostface! Congrats on 60 days
Old 12-29-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ghostface this made me smile and so happy to read how wonderfully you are doing! Such good stuff!