Notices

Collateral Damage

Old 12-29-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Collateral Damage

I am currently visiting my parents' house and feeling an urge to drink, which I am going to write away in this post.

Being in this house - a rural farm house in the mountains, currently surrounded by freshly fallen snow - reminds me of so many times alcohol has touched colorful pieces of my life and turned them to ash.

I can touch artifacts from old relationships that fell apart because of alcohol. I remember getting drunk and writing horrible and punishing letters to my mother telling her that she was stupid for worrying about me. I relive the morning that I had to tell my dad that I needed to go to court - and the New Years Eve when I got so drunk that he had to physically carry me from his car to my bed. I recall waking up and pissing in a decorative waste basket in a room my parents lovingly decorated for me after college. I remember the hundreds of times that I have been watching TV with my parents and gotten up to sneak shots in their kitchen, praying I wouldn't get caught. I feel the sad voices of my family offering everyone in the room a drink - except for me. Or, if me, last and apprehensively.

Truth is, I love my family more than anything in the world. It hurts me to think about having hurt them so much. I think I have made a lot of peace with them as individuals, in large part because I have profusely and honestly apologized for how destructive I used to be. But I'm starting to think the only way that I will feel truly at peace with this past is to actually stop drinking instead of merely hiding it.

Anyway, my urge was coming from a place of: "if I take a drink, all of these emotions will go away and I will feel amazing." But I know I won't. I would feel great for ten minutes, the guilt would set in, I would need to sneak more booze, I would keep drinking until going to bed, and I would wake up feeling horrible about myself. And I would go back home tomorrow feeling like I had lost out on valuable time with people I love.

On that note, I'm going to take a shower, eat some chocolate, and rejoin my dad for some good TV.

-A
Old 12-29-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay sober. It's worth the effort.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good choice to stay sober. And great job on playing the tape. You will feel much better tomorrow staying sober today!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Shower,chocolate and TV sounds like the better choice to me VDGS way to go
Old 12-29-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that VDGS. I hope that recovery brings you the peace (&forgiveness) that mine has
Old 12-30-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through VDGS, it'll be worth it!!
Old 12-30-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by VDGS View Post
I am currently visiting my parents' house and feeling an urge to drink, which I am going to write away in this post.

Being in this house - a rural farm house in the mountains, currently surrounded by freshly fallen snow - reminds me of so many times alcohol has touched colorful pieces of my life and turned them to ash.

I can touch artifacts from old relationships that fell apart because of alcohol. I remember getting drunk and writing horrible and punishing letters to my mother telling her that she was stupid for worrying about me. I relive the morning that I had to tell my dad that I needed to go to court - and the New Years Eve when I got so drunk that he had to physically carry me from his car to my bed. I recall waking up and pissing in a decorative waste basket in a room my parents lovingly decorated for me after college. I remember the hundreds of times that I have been watching TV with my parents and gotten up to sneak shots in their kitchen, praying I wouldn't get caught. I feel the sad voices of my family offering everyone in the room a drink - except for me. Or, if me, last and apprehensively.

Truth is, I love my family more than anything in the world. It hurts me to think about having hurt them so much. I think I have made a lot of peace with them as individuals, in large part because I have profusely and honestly apologized for how destructive I used to be. But I'm starting to think the only way that I will feel truly at peace with this past is to actually stop drinking instead of merely hiding it.

Anyway, my urge was coming from a place of: "if I take a drink, all of these emotions will go away and I will feel amazing." But I know I won't. I would feel great for ten minutes, the guilt would set in, I would need to sneak more booze, I would keep drinking until going to bed, and I would wake up feeling horrible about myself. And I would go back home tomorrow feeling like I had lost out on valuable time with people I love.

On that note, I'm going to take a shower, eat some chocolate, and rejoin my dad for some good TV.

-A
Excellent post VDGS