Notices

Should I be worried?

Old 12-29-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I be worried?

Hello guys. On 24 december I crashed. After 4 months and a day of going pretty well with sobriety, I did it. I hate my ex so much for all that she did to me that I couldn't forget and forgive her. And I couldn't control my anger and sadness and I drank.
Continued with sobriety since then, but today I visited a doc. And he prescribed me mirtazapine for depression.
I know that I cant ask medical advices here, but do I really want another substance that will alter me in any way? And I will have to come off that too...
Old 12-29-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it depends. For me, my depression existed long before I began drinking and I had a chemical imbalance. I needed to deal with that in order to be able to recover. If your depression is due to alcohol, it should ease up as time goes by. If you are unsure, do talk to your dr about it and maybe you can get an idea whether he hopes this will short-term or long-term.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on sertraline for my severe depression for many years and probably will always be on it. That's ok with me, as it keeps the depression from getting unbearable. It's not a "mood altering" drug, but it changes my brain chemistry so that I'm not as depressed.

Keep in mind, that if you drink while taking antidepressants, the antiD won't work as it should.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't really tell you what to do, but I'm on Lexapro for anxiety and depression and it has really helped balance me out. It's a very individual situation, though. If you don't want medication, would you consider counseling?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for input. No, I will not let myself be weak again, so I will not drink. Some level of depression I always had, but it was definitely eased/enhanced by drinking.
I know it's not a mood enhancer, but I read a little about it and it's withdrawal makes the withdrawal I experienced from alcohol look like a joke.
I think it won't be for long term, as in a month I will visit him again and "see how it goes".
I have absolut zero experience with any substances as I only abused alcohol and my judgement will seem foolish to some of you. But i'm trying to be logical here, do I want to be less depressed and more confident for a month or two then be right back where I left it? That's how anything works right? Nothing heals permanently, but eases for the duration it is administred..
Sorry if my point of view is too blunt, please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You really do need to talk to your dr about the duration and his expectation.

For me, I had a chemical imbalance and I will always take antidepressant because for me, it levels the playing field, no more, no less. I do many other things to help with depression too. I exercise daily, take time for myself and time for family & friends, eat well, etc. It's all about balance.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna, I will do that. Thanks for taking your time and helping others.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I must agree with Anna. I will never be without an AD. I'm okay with that. I don't feel altered, I feel normal finally. Like she said, it balances everything.

Wishing you luck!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry least and WhenInDoubt, I didn't mean to say that taking AD alters in any way, I just lack knowledge about them. Thank you for your reply!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My lexapro just got bumped up a month ago. Seems to be improving my mood. I hit a rough depression patch. AD are another reason to stay sober. Alcohol causes depession. AD dont work effectively if you drink on them.
To each there own on what works in recovery. If your AD doesnt work out i hope you find what works best for you. They usually take several weeks so be patient.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by weirdesttoner View Post
I'm sorry least and WhenInDoubt, I didn't mean to say that taking AD alters in any way, I just lack knowledge about them. Thank you for your reply!
Many people think that anti-depressants change a persons mood and that they actually give you some kind of high so I wouldn't worry about it. I've been taking Prozac for a long time and don't see any reason to stop. My depression started when I was a kid, so I expect to be taking it for life, and I have no problem with that. Many people take medication for life for many reasons. Depression is no different. John
Old 12-29-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think speaking with your dr is a great idea WS. Glad to see you back