Notices

WhenInDoubt's Check In Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking WhenInDoubt's Check In Thread

Hey everyone.

I decided to start my own check-in thread. I am part of December 2015 class, and been in the 24 hour thread as well, but this way I can say my own piece and not feel like a bother.

12/26/15 - Drank 80% a 1.75L bottle of whiskey, as so many nights before.

12/27/15 - Day 1 - Still drunk, basically. Don't remember much about the day except taking naps when the kids were being quiet.

12/28/15 - Day 2 - At work, hungover. Didn't realize a hangover could still last that long. 10 am rolled around and suddenly I was sober, and felt like death. Took some ibuprofen, chugged water, ate lunch, and by 3pm felt better. Went home, played with the kids and the dog, talked to my husband SOBER, which was weird, and very enjoyable. Went to bed at a decent time. Up and down throughout the night (not up and out of bed, but up as in awake for 5 minutes here and there).

12/29/15 - Day 3. Feeling good. A little fatigued. Hungry. Still working on the water, and I feel so much more focused on work today than I have in the past, even though I still feel foggy-headed. I feel positive, and that alone is awesome. I have not told anyone except my best friend that I quit drinking. I don't want to jinx it, or have to let people down. My husband immediately noticed I wasn't drinking, but didn't say anything. I'm sure tonight he will ask what's up, and I'll tell him, and I'm sure he will breathe a big sigh of relief, and be very happy for me.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lunch is coming up. I'm really craving an unsweet tea and a grilled chicken salad, so I'm going to go get that. Normally I would feel bad spending money, but by not drinking I've already saved myself $30, so I can swing lunch.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Journalling like you are is a great move what else are you going to do to help yourself remain sober

Here are some links to help you build a plan of action

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 12-29-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I'm in college full time and work full time, so the days are easy to fill with activities. Plus with 2 kids and a big ol puppy (9 month old black lab/great dane mix) we stay busy. I already made plans this weekend to camp outside with my oldest, build a campfire, etc. I live in FL, so it's not cold here at all, luckily. We are also going to a park to walk the dog, play on the playground.

I have my best friend tor each out to in moments of weakness, she is recovered. I have here. Spring semester starts in a few days, and I'm taking a bunch of Business Law and Business Ethics courses so I think there will be quite a bit of reading for the next few months.

I have started a yoga program. Hoping the slow movements will allow me to really focus my mind, while helping flexibility and keeping me "grounded" in the moment.

Got my salad, and am reading around on here.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was just sitting at my desk waiting on a co-worker to come answer a question, and totally had a craving. Like, I saw it happening and even imagined lying to you guys. I immediately started justifying in my head, and then realized what I was doing and switched gears.

I'm over it, but it was worth mentioning. If you can disregard the cravings, THEY WILL PASS. Worth keeping in mind, as I'm sure the cravings will only continue.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well and good for you for getting through the craving. They do pass and you don't have to give in to the feelings. Next time will be a bit easier.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you're not a bother in the other threads WID, but starting your own check in thread is a good idea anyway

Congrats on day 3

D
Old 12-29-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by WhenInDoubt View Post
I was just sitting at my desk waiting on a co-worker to come answer a question, and totally had a craving. Like, I saw it happening and even imagined lying to you guys. I immediately started justifying in my head, and then realized what I was doing and switched gears.

I'm over it, but it was worth mentioning. If you can disregard the cravings, THEY WILL PASS. Worth keeping in mind, as I'm sure the cravings will only continue.
This cannot be repeated often enough - cravings will pass. Well done for seeing through them

Congratulations on quitting WhenInDoubt
Old 12-30-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Nicole!! You can do this!!
Old 12-30-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Last night was hard, as expected. I felt great, then the anxiety kicked in because I knew I wanted to drink and I knew I wouldn't. I took a xanax (I'm on the lowest dose, .25mg) and poured myself a Dr. Pepper in my drinking glass. I have one specific glass I always used to drink. It's a big glass, more booze. So, I poured my soda in it so it felt like I was drinking, and sat down and played Game of War on my phone all night until my husband got home. Then, we ate some pizza rolls and watched Something's Gotta Give (I love that movie!) and then to bed. I slept well, though.

Day 4 is here. I feel like I drank, even though I didn't. I feel kind of queasy, foggy, & fatigued. Still feeling positive, but just kind of feel like crap in general. Nothing too bad.

4 surprising things I have noticed after only 4 days:
1. I have lost 3 pounds without altering my eating or exercise habits. I already look less bloated.
2. My skin and ever-present dark circles are starting to clear up. I always looked beat. Still not perfect, but a big improvement.
3. The ever-present searing, horrible heartburn I've had daily the last few months has all but disappeared.
4. This one is kind of gross, but my digestive system is working better in the other direction, too.

So, on to day 4. I'm sure I will post more later. For now, I need coffee.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you xoxo
Old 12-30-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done WhenInDoubt! Keeping a journal like this can be a great tool. I'm doing it for myself as well. It helps hold me accountable and I hope it also helps other people along the way. When I quit drinking, I also gave up cigarettes so the amount I'm saving per week is impressive. Funny how much we just tossed at alcohol and never gave it a second thought. Stay at it!
Old 12-30-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ugh, my stomach has been upset all day. My queasy feeling this morning has switched to the other direction. The joys of kids, I probably picked up a tummy bug from my youngest, he had it a few days ago.

Today has been good so far. I feel level headed and less foggy than this morning. I feel strong.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

Day 4 evening went fine. I was absolutely exhausted and went to bed at 8:30, but didn't actually fall asleep until about 10.

Day 5 is here. Feeling good. I feel rested and clear headed. I have less anxiety this morning than I did yesterday morning, so that is great.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is a sudden intake of sweets normal? My entire life, even before drinking, I was a savory or salty person, not a sweet (unless it's cheesecake!).

The last few days have not been bad, but salty things seem WAY salty, and sweet things are delicious. I've eaten more chocolate this week than in the last 2 years combined. (Note: I've only had 2 chocolate pretzels, 2 Ferrero Roche things, and half a hershey bar, but that's a LOT for me).

I'm going to gain a million pounds!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm talking to myself in here. That's cool.

Day 8. Have a cold. Want to go home, but stuck at work, which for some reason is triggering an urge to drink. Makes no sense.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Awwwww! I hate colds xoxoxo
How much longer must you stay at work?!
Don't drink, you'll feel worse, just keep going!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job Nicole on keeping a journal and congrats on 8 days. That's awesome!

I had (and still have) a huge craving for sweets. At first I didn't care because chocolate worked pretty fast in knocking out the AV. I switched to lower carb treats to keep the pounds down, and it helped.

Wishing you the best on your journey... take care of that cold.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You are doing great, keep in mind this is a sickness and it takes our bodies some time to get normal/heal again.

As for cravings, yes every time, for me it's chocolate and a specific kind of salt and vinegar chips so that is what I do, now that I am sober and working my plan, it's rare I eat either and my sleeping which is critical to me is back on track.