Notices

20 days and Impatient

Old 12-28-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

20 days and Impatient

Last drunk was Dec 8. I've been to AA almost every night since. Physically and mentally I feel much better. My mind still seems a bit fuzzy and some mornings I swear it feels like I have a minor hangover. I've had some cravings but for the most part they seem minor. I'm feeling anxiety and impatient. I worry about drinking again. I really wished I was several years sober and this was over with. It seems after a good amount of time people are more comfortable with sobriety and have more control over their AV.

I haven't had a drink in 20 days which is a new record- I just wished I was as comfortable with it as some of you on this board. For those with a year or more of sobriety I wished I was YOU! - Thanks for your post, they do help.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't envy where you're at - that whole 'restless; irritable; and discontent' stuff still rattling about. It can be very tough. It DOES pass though, as you know from meeting people with some sobriety behind them both at AA and here.

Keep off the booze and on the program, and those promises will gradually come true for you as well.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep going! 20 days is great. I understand the impatience and restlessness. I can't settle or concentrate on the simplest things. Just starting my 5th sober day. I am taking it 1 day at a time. Even the thought of 20 days scares me!
Old 12-28-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do it Toby - if you need to break it down further to just for this hour, then do it an hour at a time.

Just for Today....

Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appal me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today I will be happy. Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my ‘luck’ as it comes, and fit myself to it.

Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don’t want to do —just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously, criticise not one bit, not find fault with anything and not try to improve or regulate anybody except myself.

Just for today I will have a programme. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself, and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Beccy,

I'm trying to be patient. It's too late for me to drink tonight-really don't want to. All I have to deal with is tomorrow and I've done that 20 times already. I'm not going to be drinking tomorrow either.

Toby- From 5 to 20 days went by real fast. I have to look at the calendar to count the days. I'm a little amazed I'm over two weeks. You are right spot on "one day at a time". I spoke with my sponsor a few days ago. He told me I "looked like ass" the first day, said I looked a lot better now. My skin looks better and many wrinkles have vanished. Give it another week and look in a mirror-you'll see what I mean. It's something to look forward to in the near future.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there Chrcarlson, it will get better with more time!!

20 Days is fantastic!!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 20 days sober! Keep at it, it gets better.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep going it changed my life around
Old 12-29-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Twenty days is great. I felt restless and irritable. Wanting to rush things. I also woke up some mornings feeling hungover.

Those things did gradually pass. Before I knew it even. All I can say is keep moving forward. I didn't get to two years easily. The beginning was not fun but I took it one day at a time. Beccy had an awesome post for "Just for today."

Hang in there.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep it going chrcarlson! One thing I have learned from reading many posts here is that this fight is a marathon and not a sprint. It is going to take hard work and there is no magic pill to speed up the process.

I'm right there in this journey with you.

We can do this!
Old 12-29-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ruby2-thanks

So how long did it take you to become more comfortable? What were some of the things you did that might help? What was it like for you between 30 and 90 days? What should I watch out for in the next few months?

Sorry for so many questions. The last one is the most important. I know everyone is different but alcoholics are remarkable similar-that's my observation.

Thanks
chris