Notices

New Years help thread

Old 12-28-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lightbulb New Years help thread

I thought this would be a good place to collate helpful tips and advice for dealing with New Years sober.

This first article is from a religious and AA perspective but I think there's useful info in it for anyone

10 Spiritual Ways to Get Through New Years Clean and Sober | Stanice Anderson

D
Old 12-28-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

pizza, soft drinks and movies with the kids

and popcorn
Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I was never a fan of New Years even when I was drinking...I spend New Years at home now and I thoroughly recommend that to anyone feeling wobbly this year

D
Old 12-28-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I actually prefer staying home NYE as I am afraid to be out on the road with all the drunk drivers out that night.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I've never liked it - can't say why. Thank you for the help, Dee.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think New Year's is a great time to sit down for a bit of reflection on the last year and what I want for the upcoming year. I take it as an opportunity to look at my life and make goals. I wouldn't really say like New Year's resolutions that are likely to be forgotten before January 3rd, but things that I really plan to strive for through-out the year. If I don't make all my goals, the next year they can go on the list again if they're still near to my heart. And some of them go in the 'progress not perfection' category and they go back on the list even when I've made great strides with them.

It's also a great time to look back at what you're thankful for from the past year.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

New Years is actually really great when your sober and I don't even like the holiday much either. Last year was my first time since childhood. The biggest reward is waking up the next day fresh and full of energy ready to tackle the day while everyone else is suffering from the traditional hangover. Special to say the least.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oddly, the husband and I have always stayed in on this night! We order a prime rib roast, fresh scaloppes and watch a movie. We never drink on NYE. Thank God for that small blessing! It's hard enough already....
Old 12-28-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ok. I'll admit it I loved NYE. Everyone else drinking with me. An excuse to get drunk and not be as embarrassed because it was NYE and it was "ok" last NYE was my last drink and I have to say I didn't enjoy it - by then I was done with drinking. But I know this year might be a bit tough so I have a plan - going to Dave and Busters for a "kids" NYE that ends at 9 and then home until 12.

I wish everyone a happy new year.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's become an early to bed shortly after midnight for myself, then up early New Years day, reflect a bit on things, then onwards to watch the Winter Classic ice hockey with a few friends that afternoon!!

It's now a bit of a routine!!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
nmd

I'm working new years eve day and new years day, so it's just a normal work night for me this year. I can't say we won't be drinking, but I won't be drinking. Sadly my kids won't be home but my stepson will be at least. Planning on an evening of rock band on the xbox. ; -)
Old 12-29-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Quiet night in with hubby, watch the fireworks from around the world as each midnight strikes.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

We will have food out a bit of music from Jools Holland & co & watch the fireworks
Old 12-29-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I spend New Years at home now and I thoroughly recommend that to anyone feeling wobbly this year.
I still do not trust myself; I will be happy and will feel success through staying at home watching an old movie. If I have to do this every New Year for the rest of my life, so be it.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Even when drinking, over the years NYE lost its luster. So many years of thinking "NYE! Gonna be such a fun, great night!" Then, it was always the same as any other night I was out. I was just drunk and it was all a blur and resolutions were just a joke. Never kept them but always so sure I would before Jan 1st! The last few, I've spent alone, drinking and passed out before midnight anyway.

This will be my 1st sober NYE and that excites me! Probably just going to dinner and will be home and asleep before midnight, which is just fine with me! Looking forward to starting 2016 sober!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pizza, Netflix and my cat chillin' on the couch is my plan. As others have said, even when I was drinking, I never liked going out on New Years Eve. I'm looking forward to starting 2016 sober this year!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In my experience nye out partying is a little like birthdays or any other big party event that people build up so much and it is usually a let down, wasted money, drunken drama, losing items, losing memory! I'm so happy that I won't be dealing with that this year. I plan to cook and stay in and watch movies.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! I'm not a big NYE fan. Never was. The build up and subsequent disappointment, as mentioned earlier, the drunken drama. I came to despise "those amateur drinkers" who I could out drink.

I enjoy sitting at home and watching bad TV in comfortable clothing. Popcorn and pizza sound good to me. My son wants to stay up until midnight. He's 10 and I may let him do that this year. Friday morning, I'll go to an AA meeting. Meetings on holidays are usually pretty casual and festive as we celebrate waking up, hangover free. And manage to have fun in the process.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Earth Child

would it be ok for me to hang out with you guys this new year oh and my husband who is a non drinker ( we are having pizza and soda )
Old 12-29-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'll be spending NYE at home as I'm afraid of the amateur drinkers driving around. I'm not sure what yet, but there will be yummy food, and perhaps a movie on tv or watching what is going on around the world. I always fall asleep before midnight. I LOVE getting up in the morning without the hangover and I always smile and think of how many people are waking up with big heads and big regrets.