Notices

Five Reasons to Stay Sober Tonight

Old 12-27-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Five Reasons to Stay Sober Tonight

Hi again.

I am surprised at how anxious I feel this afternoon and am sure it has everything to do with not drinking. The idea keeps rolling through my brain: just one would take the edge off. And it's followed by: and you've been trying this unsuccessfully for over a decade. Today is only different if i stay sober. I realize this. Because I love lists, I'm reminding myself of five things to stay sober for:

1. I feel like my brain is scrambled. I want clarity and grounding again. I want to be fully conscious of every decision that i make and be sure that I am thoughtful in doing so. Booze is like putting my thoughts in a blender and trying to put the fruit back together once I sober up.

2. I have a lot of goals - most importantly, getting fit again and writing a book. Booze takes away the motivation to work toward these goals.

3. I want to be spiritually grounded and wake in the morning proud of who I am and what I have done. I hate the AM regrets more than anything else I generally experience. The hazy memories, the bad stomach, and the piercing guilt. I don't want to feel that way anymore.

4. I'm tired of lying and secret drinking. Years of sneaking booze has all but obliterated my sense of self and made me feel unworthy. While sober, I'm actually very principled.

5. I don't want to be ruled by fear. Fear is why I drink. Fear is the tactic my brain utilizes in the rationale to drink. It's like my brain knows me well enough to unleash every one of my most panic inducing fears with a promise that they will go away with just one beer - one glass of wine. But those fears don't go away. They're always there the next morning and I know the charade well enough to understand it's just my alcoholic brain.

Those are my five for the day. Thanks for reading. -A
Old 12-27-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's a great list of 5 reasons VDGS
Old 12-27-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, soberwolf. Writing them out was tremendously helpful.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi VDGS, I love lists too. This is a good one.

Courage and strength to you and may squadrons of Angels dive bomb you continuously!
Old 12-27-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is great, I've had on/off anxiety over the last few days (it was always going 2b hard) but making a list is a brilliant idea.....perhaps when i c it in black & white i can feel better about my choice!!!
Old 12-27-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for that VDGS - good to see you

D
Old 12-27-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My two biggest reasons to stay sober are that I take much better care of my dogs and cats when I'm sober, and that I don't want to wake up hating myself anymore.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post, that's a fantastic list!!
Old 12-27-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great! I always enjoy meeting other "list people", as I am one too ☺

You can do this!
Old 12-27-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Originally Posted by VDGS View Post
I want to be spiritually grounded and wake in the morning proud of who I am and what I have done. I hate the AM regrets more than anything else I generally experience. The hazy memories, the bad stomach, and the piercing guilt. I don't want to feel that way anymore.
My NUMBER ONE motivator to stay sober (when barely hanging on) is my absolute loathing of day one...F Day One! I hate it....I can't take another one...so I do whatever it takes to make it through till bedtime, cause if I go to bed sober, I get to wake up sober and THAT is a glorious, amazing gift!