Notices

Day 19: Anyone else experience anxiety?

Old 12-27-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 19: Anyone else experience anxiety?

I didn't have many physical symptoms withdrawing and actually felt so good, but since day 9 I have had a very high pulse rate (despite my blood pressure improving significantly) and during the day, find myself yawning or breathing in and out to combat this shortness of breath. While I don't have chest pain, do have occasional tightness and palpitations. The irony is the more I research alcohol withdrawal the more I find myself being anxious. I am going to call to make an appointment with my Dr tomorrow, as I know medical advice cannot be offered, but I guess I need to make sure I am not losing my mind. I feel that if I had a glass of wine (which would lead to a bottle), these symptoms would go away. But I won't do that. I made it through the holidays with a houseful of drinkers. Am currently reading a book on meditation, but I still feel fearful ...
Old 12-27-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water - high heart rate could be dehydration, especially if your body is trying to counter a lower BP
Old 12-27-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on Day 19!

It's good that you plan to talk to your dr. For me, alcohol was an attempt at self-medication for anxiety. Of course, before long, alcohol became a far worse problem for me. But, the thing is when I stopped drinking, the anxiety didn't disappear and I needed to find ways to deal with it.

From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett
When Panic Attacks by David Burns MD

Both these books offer lots of support and information on how to manage anxiety without medication.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are spot on Anna. I have definitely been self-medicating. Still not sure if the drinking caused the anxiety or the anxiety caused the alcoholism, but dealing with my emotions after 7 years is hard ... My Dr has been trying to get me on anxiety medication for years, but I have declined, partly because I couldn't drink with them! Thank you for the book recommendations, I will have a look into them.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not sure which came first for me. But I do know that my anxiety is very very low since without alcohol fueling my crazy mind. Maybe at 9 days you're simply more aware of it. Seeing your Dr. will certainly alleviate your concerns.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So bronte, I have anxiety and depression issues. Best thing I did was give up the booze since it was a major cause for fueling both.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you need to see your gp it's quite possible you may have a vitamin B12 deficiency, this would explain the high levels of anxiety...

Last edited by paddyjnr1; 12-27-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Paddy jnr1 - interesting you should say that as I actually do have a B12 deficiency for which I get a shot every 3 weeks. It's due Tuesday so maybe that will alleviate some of the anxiety.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bronte39 View Post
Paddy jnr1 - interesting you should say that as I actually do have a B12 deficiency for which I get a shot every 3 weeks. It's due Tuesday so maybe that will alleviate some of the anxiety.
When I go on a heavy binnge my vitamin b12 diminishes and i get terrible anxiety, as soon as i get it by IV bamn the palpitations go almost instantly.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Panic to power is one of my favourite books on anxiety

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Congratulations on Day 19!

It's good that you plan to talk to your dr. For me, alcohol was an attempt at self-medication for anxiety. Of course, before long, alcohol became a far worse problem for me. But, the thing is when I stopped drinking, the anxiety didn't disappear and I needed to find ways to deal with it.

From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett
When Panic Attacks by David Burns MD

Both these books offer lots of support and information on how to manage anxiety without medication.
This 5000%
Old 12-27-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I suffered from anxiety - big time. Worth getting checked out by the doctor, but if it's anxiety then things will get better as you find new ways to cope with it (instead of drinking it away). Simple meditative exercises can be helpful (try taking some time alone - maybe going for a walk if you live somewhere peaceful, or to a peaceful room, or safe haven. Focus on each sense in turn - what can you see; feel / touch; hear; smell? If other thoughts pop into your mind gently push them away and continue exploring the moment with your senses. I found that works for me a bit like restarting my computer when it gets glitchy.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Beccybean for your kind words and advice. Niggling at the forefront of my anxiety is the fear that I may have heart disease as a result of the alcoholism, so the sooner I can put that to rest or deal with it, the sooner I can continue to work on the anxiety.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anxiety is very common in early recovery. With more sober time, good food, and rest, it should be alleviated. If not, see your doctor.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 19 is fantastic!!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Update: My Dr couldn't see me, so I went to urgent care as I was really struggling to catch my breath. Turns out my blood pressure was 180 over 110. Had ECK done, but as inconclusive, the DR suggested that since I was a weekend binge drinker, that I was going through alcohol withdrawal (2-3 weeks later). He was surprised my Dr had not given me better advice than to simply quit cold turkey. So now I am on antivan until I can see my Dr ... seems to have taken the edge off ....
Old 12-30-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I quit Dec 9, This last week I have been feeling impatient and anxious. I'm told it's normal. Go to a few meeting or do something fun in the evening. Exercise helps, maybe a long walk.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

When I was irritable, restless and discontent (and anxiety ridden and fearful), I was suffering from untreated alcoholism. Alcohol treated this, but without my security blanket, I was a mess.

There is a solution to this and drinking wasn't it this time around. I did work the 12 steps of AA, but there are other methods, too!

Don't drink, this can get different!!
Old 12-31-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thinking of you Bronte
Old 12-31-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smile

I know you need them now but be careful with the benzo's they can suck you in easy.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That sounds so much like me! I am keeping a journal to remind myself that if I ever drink again, this is what awaits me and it is not worth it. Have considered AA, but was never good with strangers. Doubt I would get through the door ... that being said, you are right: the solution is not to drink. Now on day 23 at my first attempt. Am pretty proud of myself ... and very hopeful based on your post! Thank you.

QUOTE=sugarbear1;5715092]When I was irritable, restless and discontent (and anxiety ridden and fearful), I was suffering from untreated alcoholism. Alcohol treated this, but without my security blanket, I was a mess.

There is a solution to this and drinking wasn't it this time around. I did work the 12 steps of AA, but there are other methods, too!

Don't drink, this can get different!! [/QUOTE]