Notices

Binge drinking following Gastric Bypass Surgery

Old 12-27-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking following Gastric Bypass Surgery

After getting up to go to the bathroom during the night, I realized my body was sore and I had a lump on the back of my head. Getting back into bed, my wife asked, “How is your back?” Due to my puzzled look, she told me how I fell while drinking pulling a chair down with me and I screamed in pain about my back. I told her I was fine (not mentioning the lump on my head) but couldn’t sleep. This was not the first time she has told me stories of my actions that I don’t remember.

After much internet search for help, I found SR at 3:00 a.m.

As my wife awoke, she had a lot to tell me. She was mad, sad, told me she felt helpless, asked why I insist on drinking too much, etc. I answered, “I obviously can’t do this alone.” I need support and advice from those who have been where I am now. I know if I don’t make a change I risk losing everything important to me… my marriage of 32 years, my close relationships with my children and four grandchildren whom I adore.

Here is my history… I never drank much even in social settings, but just over a year ago I had gastric bypass surgery. I was overweight with all the bad effects of high cholesterol, high blood pressure and severe sleep apnea. I lost 110 pounds along with all the symptoms. After losing all the weight, I started having a drink in the evenings. Alcohol tasted better than it ever had and I enjoyed the “let go” sensation it gave. The more I drank every evening, I researched it was common for gastric bypass patients to give up binge eating for binge drinking. I thought I was in control each night I drank. Then the stories started coming which identified the black-out drinking.

I’m embarrassed, ashamed, and it is very hard to write these words to admit what I have become. My family members have all asked my wife about my personality change. Even my own mother asked. Needless to say, I want to get back to who I was before. I am in my mid-fifties and have so much to be thankful for.

Please share your words of wisdom and encouragement.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also believe this is a common occurrence. I read 'Gut Feeling' by Carnie Wilson's book about just this experience. I think that gastric bypass prevents binge eating, but you need to change your thinking, too.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I also believe this is a common occurrence. I read 'Gut Feeling' by Carnie Wilson's book about just this experience. I think that gastric bypass prevents binge eating, but you need to change your thinking, too.
Wow, thanks Anna! Looking for the book now.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support for getting sober for good.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Wonder!!
Old 12-27-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Welcome, Wonder

I got sober about 5 months ago in a rehab facility -- not saying that's what you need, just that your story reminds me of 2 different people there. One had also had gastric bypass, and had switched her food addiction to alcohol and pills. She struggled a lot, I think possibly because she didn't make the connection the way you did. She was really resistant to doing any of the work because she didn't really see herself as an addict.

The other one was my roommate, a woman about your age. Your story reminds me of her because she'd only started drinking about 4 years ago, and she is such a success story. The other people in their 50s and 60s had all the physical and mental effects of decades of drinking... the fact that her habit was really young made it a lot easier for her to bounce back. Even than me, actually... I'm 30 years younger than her but my habit is twice as old as hers! Anyway she was the complete opposite from the other woman... even though she had less of a history with alcohol, she 100% accepted that she was where she was and she needed to work really hard to change it.

So from those two people's examples I say: you're thinking about this in the right way, and you're taking action at the right time. I think you're going to do great.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can see trading one addiction for another. Congrats on the weight loss - that's a great accomplishment. Now to tackle the alcohol!
You've found a great site for support.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wonder.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome to SR

Drinking wasn't my problem, it was my solution. Whatever the onset of alcoholic drinking is - I had to change. It was an inside job and the biggest issue is between my ears.......
Old 12-27-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There seems to be a direct correlation between alcoholism and gastric bypass but in the final analysis it doesn't make a difference.

If drinking is causing major problems the "why " is immaterial the real question is what am I going to do about it.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Welcome, Wonder

I got sober about 5 months ago in a rehab facility -- not saying that's what you need, just that your story reminds me of 2 different people there. One had also had gastric bypass, and had switched her food addiction to alcohol and pills. She struggled a lot, I think possibly because she didn't make the connection the way you did. She was really resistant to doing any of the work because she didn't really see herself as an addict.

The other one was my roommate, a woman about your age. Your story reminds me of her because she'd only started drinking about 4 years ago, and she is such a success story. The other people in their 50s and 60s had all the physical and mental effects of decades of drinking... the fact that her habit was really young made it a lot easier for her to bounce back. Even than me, actually... I'm 30 years younger than her but my habit is twice as old as hers! Anyway she was the complete opposite from the other woman... even though she had less of a history with alcohol, she 100% accepted that she was where she was and she needed to work really hard to change it.

So from those two people's examples I say: you're thinking about this in the right way, and you're taking action at the right time. I think you're going to do great.
Fantail, Thanks for taking the time to post! Good information, and thanks for the encouragement!!
Old 12-27-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I heard a woman speak at a meeting once and while she was at inpatient treatment for her alcoholism, she said said 4 out of the 10 women in her group had all had gastric bypass and began drinking alcoholically when it was physically not possible for them to overeat any longer due to the surgery. It was a substitute addiction formed when their other option of dealing with stress was no longer viable.

This is much more common a problem than people are aware. This lady in particular never had any type of alcohol addiction and barely drank. Prior to this, she never understood why alcoholics continued to drink when it was causing them so many problems. She now understands this phenomena all too well and was unable to quit on her own and chose inpatient for her recovery.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Wonder
Old 12-27-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Wonder and welcome! I have read several stories here on SR from people who have had gastric bypass and have become alcoholics. I hope they are still reading and post here. You are not alone.

Please read around, check the stickies and post often, it helps! Best to you!
Old 12-27-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Wonder

D
Old 12-27-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Really glad to meet you, Wonder.

Please don't feel ashamed or embarrassed - we all understand what you're going through. Posting here helps with the anxiety. You're among friends who care.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Wonder. I was a binge drinker as well and have many a black out explained to me. Extremely embarrassing. I don't ever want to do that again.

We are in this fight with you. You can do this.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Wonder
Old 12-27-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Wonder25! No need to feel embarassed or ashamed here, we all understand and have felt the same shame and embarassment at one point or another. The people here are great, you will get a lot of support.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to SR, Wonder. I'm pleased you found us.