Notices

Advice Needed

Old 12-27-2015, 01:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Needed

HI all, Im 37 & My Mum has drunk all her life, she used to be really good sober but a nightmare drunk. She has hurt me beyond repair.
We have tried to help her but she has become so unmotivated all she wants to do is drink, her house is disgusting, her hygiene is poor, she has lost social skills and is completely ignorant. A month ago I called her and she didn't know who i was she was so drunk, I wiped my hands of her then, I told her I couldn't watch her spend her life at the bottom of a cask of wine.
About three weeks ago her flatmate called to say she had been in bed for 4 days and he had tipped her booze out as she was out of control and hadn't eaten for days . Now she is hospitalised with what they think is Alcoholic Dementia, wearing nappies and needing to be fed, needs a full hoist to be moved she thinks she is 97, she is 65.
I went to the hospital when it happened and absolutely lost it, I couldn't enter her room and I still haven't been to see her. I feel guilty that I haven't but I actually don't think i have the capacity to deal with being her like that. It's a struggle, each day i think ill go today, but I just can't! Ive sorted all her affairs with the bank etc as it looks like she will be going into care but I can't bring myself to see her. Is this normal or am I being selfish? I am her only child and nobody in the family wants anything to do with her so the responsibility is so overwhelming. Im so angry that she has wasted her life, but I feel sorry for her a bit as well.
Sorry about the long post, I just thought someone may have been in this situation. Thanks for reading x
Old 12-27-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry R1234.

I'm not sure there is a normal or a right way with things like this - we react how we react.

I have no experience to share tho, but others may

D
Old 12-27-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How sad and how awful where this legal poison can take someone. Sorry for your situation...
Old 12-27-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sad you have to go through that , went through almost the same thing with my father. The whole family wanted nothing to do with him after our mom finally got him out of the house, it took a while but I finally realized someone had to help him and nobody but me was going to do it, helped with what I could but he drank himself to death anyway. Can't tell you what's right or wrong about how you feel but she is your mother, I think you should do what you can for her, you'll feel better for it I think.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How awful and I'm sorry. Of course I don't fully know you're situation, but from what you describe, I totally understand how you feel.

With that said, when my mother was ill, I was drinking (sorta of a reversed situation) Though she was not an in that state (she had cancer), and the hurt and resentment was towards myself, not her.....I had a very difficult time seeing her that way and did avoid it a lot of times. Again, not the same situation as yours and your hurt and anger may prove too heavy to get passed it.......which is fair.

She is gone now, and the fact I wasn't there for her like I should have been is something I will never, ever forgive myself for. I weighs heavily on my mind everyday.

Yours is a very different situation. You must do whats right for you and protect yourself and your feelings.....but I think if there's a chance that you will feel how I feel? You should go.

I apologize if I'm overstepping....
Old 12-27-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope you are able to find peace in your life.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome R1
Old 12-27-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum R1234!!
Old 12-27-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I don't have any advice, but there is a friends and family forum here that might be able to help and give you support as they've been through similar situations with their spouse, children or parents.
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 12-27-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't been in your shoes. But, I'll give you my thoughts based on other experiences: I don't think you're being selfish - what a burden you must be feeling. There isn't anything you can do or could've done. You couldn't have sobered her up, only she had the ability to do that. When you have had time to process all of this, you might want to go visit. Right now, you need to take care of yourself - she is being looked after. My very best to you.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your words and kindness, All the best with what you are going through also x
Old 12-27-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome R1234. I am so sorry for the position you have been put in. Hopefully someone with some experience with this can give you some advice. I wish you the best.