Notices

I Made It Through Christmas

Old 12-26-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Made It Through Christmas

I'm 26 days sober this time. Easy to keep track when my first dry night was December One.

I got some phone calls as the holiday neared. One 'friend' called and said he wanted to come by. He wanted to do some hiking on Christmas Day, which I was all for. He knows I have been struggling with drinking, but he said that we could drink beer at night after the hike. I said that I wasn't going to do that, and he got pissed. He was trying to talk me into it, and I ended up yelling at him and telling him to stay the f*#k away from me.

Another friend invited me to dinner with his family. There was a lot of drinking going on. I said that I was not comfortable with that right now. He told me that I needed to learn to be around drinking in social situations. Maybe so, but not right now. I have to do what's right for me.

I loaded up a flash drive with almost a hundred songs, went out and found a pancake house yesterday morning. Had a huge breakfast, and then drove out into the country. Drinking tea, listening to music, crying a lot. I burned a lot of gas, but I saw some beautiful plantations and countryside.

I made it home around seven o'clock, and did some reading. Turned off the lights around 8:30, and I managed to sleep for ten hours. No sleep aids, no alcohol.

Success. Not the best Christmas I ever had. No presents, no companionship, but I am sober.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

<3 Good for you! Somewhat same here. Though I had family over Christmas Eve, Christmas Day I woke up alone and spent the day alone and did my own thing all day long. A few invites but I declined, due to the alcohol that would've been flowing. Maybe next year, but this year, being sober was the most important thing and best gift I could give myself. If that meant tucking myself away for a day or two, so be it.

Do whats right for YOU! Your true friends will understand and be supportive. Good on you for staying sober and for reaching 26 days!
Old 12-26-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you, too! Solitude doesn't seem to work well for some in early recovery, but it is the only thing that is working for me.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 26 days sober and getting thru Christmas sober. I also spent the day alone, but I have my dogs and cats so it wasn't too bad.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on protecting your sobriety and doing what's right for you! True friends will understand in time. Congrats on 26 days!!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livinginhope View Post
Good for you, too! Solitude doesn't seem to work well for some in early recovery, but it is the only thing that is working for me.
Me too! I'm slowly getting back into life being a sober person but I've spent much of that time, especially the first couple of months, alone. It was hard at first (being alone and sober) and I had many thoughts of "Why be sober? I will never have fun, friends, or a life". But it's coming back.......very slowly.

The life I had while drinking was miserable and it took many years away from me.

They way I think now? Each day sober is an investment in my sober future. Another day towards a life I want to actually live in and be present in. It took many years of drinking for me to ruin my life....it will take time to learn a new way. Baby steps....
Old 12-26-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats to all of you who stayed sober this Christmas. I am on the alanon side and I too spent the day alone. My two daughters spent Christmas with my axh. I would have given my right arm to have him spend a sober Christmas. Not this year, maybe next, you should never give up hope.

Maybe one day he will walk in your shoes. I am very happy for all of you who chose sobriety this holiday. For once you took care of yourself in a healthy way and had the strength to ignore your "friends".

I wish you all peace and sobriety in the 2016!!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I'm 26 days sober this time. Easy to keep track when my first dry night was December One.

I got some phone calls as the holiday neared. One 'friend' called and said he wanted to come by. He wanted to do some hiking on Christmas Day, which I was all for. He knows I have been struggling with drinking, but he said that we could drink beer at night after the hike. I said that I wasn't going to do that, and he got pissed. He was trying to talk me into it, and I ended up yelling at him and telling him to stay the f*#k away from me.

Another friend invited me to dinner with his family. There was a lot of drinking going on. I said that I was not comfortable with that right now. He told me that I needed to learn to be around drinking in social situations. Maybe so, but not right now. I have to do what's right for me.

I loaded up a flash drive with almost a hundred songs, went out and found a pancake house yesterday morning. Had a huge breakfast, and then drove out into the country. Drinking tea, listening to music, crying a lot. I burned a lot of gas, but I saw some beautiful plantations and countryside.

I made it home around seven o'clock, and did some reading. Turned off the lights around 8:30, and I managed to sleep for ten hours. No sleep aids, no alcohol.

Success. Not the best Christmas I ever had. No presents, no companionship, but I am sober.
Good Going livinginhope!!!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

livinginhope, thank you for your inspirational post. I wish every newly sober person could read it. As I am sure you know, "friends" who get upset because you won't drink with them - not only are they not "friends", they are toxic. I'm sorry that happened to you. And as far as the gas you burned? I'd rather spend my money any day of the week on gas than on booze! 😁 Congratulations on your decision to live a better, sober life.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi LIH, like you I also quit in December 1. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Well done. We have to believe it gets easier with time. Keep working it!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You made some excellent choices--that's how to succeed in sobriety
Old 12-26-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing amazing
Old 12-26-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, thanks, all!

You know one of the worst things about Christmas? Not the obvious stuff, like the old urge to drink even more than usual, the loneliness and thoughts of loss and regret, the necessity to turn away from old friends with bad habits.

Everything is closed. When you need your comfort zones more than ever. The gym is closed, and I spend a lot of time there these days. There was a sign saying "We are closed Christmas Day. Please enjoy the day with your loved ones". Kinda sucks when you currently have no loved ones.

The local nature park is also closed. I spend a lot of time there, too. Hiking, reading, sitting and contemplating my life.

You can't even walk at the mall, the grocery store, or WalMart. Because sometimes you need to simply be around other people and not alone at the house.

I know that people need and deserve their family time at holidays, but it sure makes it hard on some of us.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Hi LIH, good job on not drinking. I too am avoiding drinkers during the holiday season. New habits for the New Year!
Old 12-26-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Everything is closed.
Makes driving in Hampton Roads a lot easier, doesn't it.

Sounds like you had a melancholy Christmas. But "feeling" the holidays, even sad feelings, and not drinking is a blessing.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 26 is fantastic, great job on pushing through Livinginhope!!
Old 12-26-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lh,
Maybe next year you should plan on working at a food kitchen on Christmas day. They are always looking for volunteers, and especially on Christmas. I did it one year on Thanksgiving and it was awesome. When you really see the people struggling, you feel how blessed you really are.

Hugs my friend, it is over and time to look forward to the new year.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it livinginhope

D