Tough to watch

Old 12-26-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tough to watch

My father retired about 6 months ago and it seems he's on a personal mission to kill himself with alcohol . Every day he gets up in the morning and goes to the pub and drinks himself to the state they won't give him anymore then he,ll proceed to buy a bottle and take it home and drink that with my mother. I've tried to talk sense into him and it just doesn't work and I don't know what to do his health is deteriorating and I can only see this going one way. Keep thinking I should just wash my hands of him altogether easier said than done. What did I do to deserve this I don't know. Tbh the drinking was always part of my life seen a lot of stuff since I was a child it never leaves you. Anyone had same experience ? Advice ?
Old 12-26-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A lot of drunks retire and then really hit the bottle even harder.
And yes in short time retirement kills many drunks (I've seen this up close recently).

(AA founder) Bill Wilson's doctor called Bill and his wife in for a meeting at his office, Right in front of Bill the doctor told his wife, "to get a pine box ready for Bill."
This seemed to have a positive effect on Bill.

Maybe you father would attend an AA meeting with you ?

MB
Old 12-26-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He will not admit he has a problem and tbh prob never will do. Wouldn't even talk to me on the phone this morning. Not good
Old 12-26-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Frankly, there's not much you can do. He's not interested in quitting drinking.

YOU'RE the one suffering right now, so I'd suggest finding an Al-Anon group. It was a great help to me when I was at the end of my emotional rope.

Hugs,
Old 12-26-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry for your pain. I agree with lexie, he doesn't have a problem with his drinking, you do, so it is your problem. There is help for you. Hit an alanon meeting, read the stickies above. Educate yourself about this horrible disease.

Hugs my friend, there is help for you!!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

First, you didn't do any going to deserve it. You didn't cause it, you can't control him and you can't change him. As hard as it is, your dad isn't going to change until he's ready to. All alcoholics are like that. All you can do is take care of yourself.