Notices

Happy to have found this

Old 12-25-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy to have found this

Hi all. I'm 21 and have had a drinking problem for at least two years now. I drink an adequate amount every day.

I've tried to stop before, but I only lasted 5 days. So I am very happy to have found this forum, and hopefully get the support I need. I run my own business, and I finish most days at about 1pm, so I start as soon as I finish work.

I'm not a horrible, loud or violent drunk, I usually stay home..however I would like to be sober again. I would like to take charge of my life and stop relying on alcohol.

I get tingles in my face, feet and hands when I go without a drink. I only manage to go to social gatherings if I've had some beforehand.

My parents know I drink a lot and they've tried their best to help and support me. But they've got no idea what it's like, how I'm feeling, or how bad it really is.

I've tried help from the doctors as I suffer terribly with anxiety and my current relationship has a lot of issues, which I believe are both a big factor as to why I drink. But I can't get on with any of their suggestions. The only time I feel remotely unemotional is when I'm drunk.

Thank you for reading.

Red.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Red. This is a great place for encouragement & understanding.

When I was 21 I already knew I didn't drink normally - but I didn't even try to stop back then. As a result, my life fell apart. As a much older person, I was completely dependent on it. This never has to happen to you. I'm so glad you see what it's doing to your life. Good to have you with us, Red.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
There's a lot of nice folk here that have a lot of wisdom and knowledge.
Not to mention all the great inspiration.
Use this site to help you with your sobriety.
Glad you found your way here.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Red!

I think you'll find a whole spectrum of people with alcohol addictions here - some of us have legal problems, others are like you. The two things we all have in common are the inability to simply take it or leave it and the desire to stop drinking and improve our lives.

It may be a bit quieter around here with the holiday but I'm sure you'll find a warm welcome here.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Red

just curious - what recommendations from your Drs can you not get on with?

D
Old 12-25-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Red!!
Old 12-25-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Red,

Welcome.

First off..if you need to see a Dr....do it...no medical advice here...

Now...If you really want to stop....stop. Stay hydrated, eat when you crave...Candy tricks your brain into thinking you are drinking...

I drank about a 2 liters a week...hard stuff. Mostly binged. 3 or 4 days..2 off...3 days...7 off....pretty much for about 15 to 20 years...it was fun for me until my body started to pickle or something...

The hangovers turned into withdrawals.

No stamina, slept like crap, dry eyes...on and on...all bad...

Quit...took about 14 days to get through the physical hell. Then the mental hell...took months...getting better now...but not perfect....but....

I am in great shape...clean...proud...free....free from the poisenous hype...

Becoming a strong oldish man...but....still deal w anxiety...but it has faded into more of an annoyance. When I first quit...it was like I was going to faint....or die...or just start convulsions at any time...it was horrible...

But....I never passed out...collapsed...nothing...it was all mental...

Alcohol fried my brain. I was brain damaged.... It was deep, deep in my central nervous system...

But...now I am better...nobody really ever knew I was freaking out sometimes.

If you want to quit...get ready for hell. But...once you are though it...you never have to go back...if you make it...if you are anything like me...you will never want to drink again...

This is the kind of help you can find here. This story, basically, was what I was told or read about...

The AA Big Book is filled w these stories.

Bottom line...it gets better every day...I started out 1 day at a time...now I am a never drink again...I hate booze. It is a govt. Sanctioned addictive drug. Don't believe the hype.

Merry Xmas.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It's good that you're getting sober at a young age. You will have fewer regrets when you're my age if you stay sober.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Red
Old 12-26-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I probably joined SR around 22? I am 24 now, pushing 25 and on my fourth month after many failed attempts. There is a lot of good advice here. There is only one way to start the journey of sobriety, put down the bottle.

I wish you the best. Please stay on SR through the good and bad, support and accountability are king.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Red, so happy to have you here. It's great that you have recognized this problem and want to do something about it while you have your whole life ahead of you. Awsome decision!