Notices

I need help

Old 12-25-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

Hi all,

I found this forum in the early hours of this morning when I was unable to sleep. I am 48 years old and have been a heavy drinker for most of my adult life. I have know reached rock bottom and came very close to stepping into the local river in the hope that hypothermia would end the misery. I just wanted to go to sleep and not wake up.

I think I am through that momentary lapse but I have to stop drinking. I attended a few AA meetings but struggled with the whole higher power thing. However I have reached a point where I will try anything and as my GP is closed until after the weekend I intend to attend a meeting tonight. Any advice please?
Old 12-25-2015, 12:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Hello Toby,
Welcome and well done for finding this forum. You will find immense strength and so many helpful people here. I felt like you just over a year ago and I too had previously struggled with AA for the exact same reason! There are other ways and methods too that work as well for some and you'll find them all here. Keep reading and posting here......so many people here who genuinely know how you feel. Everything can and will get so much better.......better than you even imagine!
Old 12-25-2015, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Toby

I think an AA meeting is a great way of finding face to face support right away...and these forums are very good for support 24/7 as well

If you find yourself despairing again. please call and talk to someone. The Samaritans are in most countries.

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too

D
Old 12-25-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some folks believe addicts cannot rightly recover unless they go to AA... I think that type of thinking is a bit antiquated as well as perhaps limiting..., but I know lots of folks who really couldn't have quit without aa...

I say - leave your options open...
Old 12-25-2015, 01:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support and advice. Until I can arrange and appointment with my doctor I need all the support I can get. I don't want the holiday closure to be an excuse to keep drinking.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Being willing to do or try anything and following that through was the turning point for me toby .

You can make this change and you can be sober and healthier .

Up's and down's still happen when your sober but you can deal with life a whole lot better .

It's nice not to be fighting for control or to keep myself together anymore .

Stick with it , it's worth it i believe .

m
Old 12-25-2015, 01:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Mecanix. I am sitting at home with all the family asleep still and the Christmas presents waiting to be opened. My behaviour over the last couple of days has completely ruined Christmas this year (not for the first time) and I am struggling with the fact that there is accessible alcohol just a few metres away. So far I have resisted but I feel very nauseous and am struggling to keep non alcoholic fluids down.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Toby my best advice is try & get some rest esp if you feel unwell try not to think about the last week & focus on remaining sober today

Stick close & no matter what do not drink youl only make yourself more nauseous & feel a lot worse if you want to change follow my words precisely

No matter what do not drink today

Can you do that ?
Old 12-25-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am going to try my hardest Soberwolf.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Toby! I'm glad you found us here. You'll find a lot of help and support from folks that have been where you are now. I drank hard for 25 years and didn't decide to quit til I was in my 40's, so it's not too late. You have finally understood the need to make a change, and that's half the battle.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Toby,

The experience and support here is inspirational in so many ways. Keep posting and reading. Welcome to SR.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi topy....I struggled with the higher power thing too...please hang in there and stick with SR that's how I have remained sober...3 Months today!!!!!
Old 12-25-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Toby!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 12-25-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

We'll be here here are some links to help you through the cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 12-25-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome Toby. You've found a great site. Lots of great people with an amazing amount of knowledge and wisdom.

We've all been where you are and if we can do it so can you. Take care of yourself.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, Toby...

I had a hard time with AA because of the higher power thing for a long time, too. It kept me averse to the tools AA could give me for years.

I finally became desperate enough to open my mind and see what AA could offer instead of fighting the parts I didn't like.

It became a powerful piece of my successful recovery and my MUCH better life.

We are here for you and you can do this. On the other side of this place you find yourself in is a better life than you ever imagined.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Toby,

Getting to AA meetings over the holidays is a great idea. You can think about other methods later, but sounds like you need all the help you can get right now.

Another thing that might be useful is to write down everything you're feeling right now. What has made this your rock bottom.

Doesn't need to be on here, though many find it helps to open up to others about their experiences, but our minds can play tricks on us. In a few days, or a week or two, the pain (emotional or physical) might have faded enough that you'll wonder why you were trying to get sober. Or you'll start trying to persuade yourself you can moderate. That it wasn't all that bad.

So having the reality of how bad things are down in writing, that you can print out and carry with you to read whenever you're feeling the urge to drink, can make a difference.

You've found the right place for all the advice and support you could hope for. Good luck on your journey to a new and better life.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support, advice and welcome. Got through the day without a drink so far and am going to an AA meeting shortly. Still nauseous but have eaten a small amount. I will check in later if I start to wobble.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing it Toby always good to check in anyway hopefully spk soon bud congrats once again