Notices

Day 27... need to be smacked

Old 12-23-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 27... need to be smacked

I'm on day 27. Someone please remind me why considering a glass or two of wine at Christmas dinner is just my AV and a horrible idea. I'll be with my husbands family... grrr... and wine sure would make it more bearable.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are about to reach 30 days, you are so close! You don't want to blow that after coming this far. You'll feel worse if you drink (and for longer) than you will putting up with the family for an hour or two.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Remember it's only one day, one meal out of 365 days, perspective is everything!!

Plus for me it was never a "glass or two" . . . the difference between the fantasy and reality was usually at least a few bottles, a week long binge and a spiral very difficult to come back from having to start back at square one.

Don't give into the fairytales, your mind can create all the illusions it wants, but play the tape forward and think how things will really end?

You can do this!!
Old 12-23-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hang in there and listen to your heart, not your AV. It wants you to fail, of course. You're the boss and you can do this.

Can you get away from your husband's family for a bit and go for a walk or help to cook something?
Old 12-23-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Think about the regret. You don't have to feel that if you don't drink. Stay strong, and tomorrow you can feel proud!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was never able to just have one or two glasses of wine. Ever.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you're struggling with wanting a glass or two now, while you're sober, think how much you'll be struggling with wanting another glass or two if you have that first glass or two. And once you've had that next glass or two, well, that's nearly the bottle finished so no point leaving the rest of it. And there's bound to be another bottle somewhere you could crack open, since everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. And another one to crack open once everyone has left, just to unwind of course. And another because... Well, you can't remember why you're drinking at that point, but probably don't really care any more.

You can see where I'm going with this.

It's far, far easier to say no to that first one. And you get to wake up feeling great, proud of yourself, and knowing you didn't say or do anything you regret.

Hang in there, you can definitely do this.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by serenitynowplz View Post
I'm on day 27. Someone please remind me why considering a glass or two of wine at Christmas dinner is just my AV and a horrible idea.
Not just a bad idea, it's insanity. The insanity of alcoholism. You overcome it by staying sober.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What Carl said. It's insanity. Don't go down that road.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

families can be difficult, but wine won't make it better. Maybe take a walk instead? Maybe find some little something you can do for yourself before and during that event, instead of drinking. Some kind of moment to yourself that feels good ... can be taking a walk, bring a poem or copy of a helpful SR post in your pocket, have someone sober that you can call while you step out for a few minutes? You can do this.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's exactly how it would go. Thanks for all of the good feedback. I'll be reading all of this again over and over. Thank you!
Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
If you're struggling with wanting a glass or two now, while you're sober, think how much you'll be struggling with wanting another glass or two if you have that first glass or two. And once you've had that next glass or two, well, that's nearly the bottle finished so no point leaving the rest of it. And there's bound to be another bottle somewhere you could crack open, since everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. And another one to crack open once everyone has left, just to unwind of course. And another because... Well, you can't remember why you're drinking at that point, but probably don't really care any more.

It's far, far easier to say no to that first one. And you get to wake up feeling great, proud of yourself, and knowing you didn't say or do anything you regret.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'll be with my husbands family... grrr... and wine sure would make it more bearable.
It surely wouldn't. Think about the floodgates it would open and the thirst for more... And what comes after that. You can get through it without alcohol and be proud of yourself afterwards.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post

This. Times 1,000.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Serenity, like Carl said, it's insanity. Plus, if you're like most of us here it wouldn't be just a glass or two. For me, it would turn into an all out drink feast, arguments, not remembering Christmas Day, feeling like I lost out on quality time with my kids and family, waking up the next day feeling like crap...

It's not just about one or two drinks.

Stay strong, you're doing great!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcohol is never the right choice for us, serenitynowplz.

Think of how wonderful it will feel to know that you made it through dinner and will go to bed sober.

You can do it.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't know about you, but 1 beer would be a disaster for me.

I probably would only drink a beer or two until the party was over. Then later in the week when I was alone, I'd get drunk. Then it would be an on again - off again battle for sobriety until summer.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I don't know about you, but 1 beer would be a disaster for me.

I probably would only drink a beer or two until the party was over. Then later in the week when I was alone, I'd get drunk. Then it would be an on again - off again battle for sobriety until summer.
You just described exactly how it would play out for me. The initial drink around other people wouldn't be the problem. That would come once I got home and send me right back to where I was. So much safer to just not have that first drink at all.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That would be me too!
Old 12-23-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Me, three! For the last two years of my drinking, that was my attempt to "moderate". Save face in public, then can't wait to get home and tap into my closet bar.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm on day 27. Someone please remind me why considering a glass or two of wine at Christmas dinner is just my AV and a horrible idea. I'll be with my husbands family... grrr... and wine sure would make it more bearable.
There is a meeting in print just for you in the AA Big Book pages 108 and 109. Look for words in italics.

You will see the word want in italics twice.

MB