OT--Is Everyone Ready for the Holiday

Old 12-23-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT--Is Everyone Ready for the Holiday

For those of us who celebrate Christmas...are you ready?

I have been battling some sort of walking/mild pneumonia for two weeks. In and out of work, in and out of urgent care for breathing treatments--UGH!! But I've managed to pull our modest Christmas together. Finished sewing some pajama pants last night, and wrapped the rest of the gifts. We're doing our baking on Christmas Eve. The kids have requested an easy stir fry for dinner on Christmas Eve, eggs and turkey bacon on Christmas morning, and a perfect "set it and forget it" pot roast for Christmas dinner.

We spent Sunday evening at my dad's--about a 3.5 hour drive--then came home on Monday. He gave the kids a new video game system and some related accessories. Last night my daughters and I stayed up late, talking, playing video games, watching Bob's Burgers, and just laughing and laughing and laughing. It felt so GOOD! Nobody cares that there are only a few presents under the tree. Nobody cares that we don't have fancy plans. We are just all so happy!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

define READY! lol i'd love to come hang with you guys, sounds like tons of fun!

since i injured my back, i made the decision to NOT host the Christmas Eve gathering with my daughter and her bf HERE. so i don't have to worry that my house isn't spotless, or making sure the good china is ready to go, i didn't even put up decorations!!! we'll be going to her house tomorrow, i have today off of work, so i have plenty of time to wrap presents.

i do have to make one dash to Wally World - kill me now - but it will be a dual mission - hank needs an inhaler refill and Renee had a last minute item on her wish list - an iron and small tabletop ironing board.

when her dad passed away a number of years ago, i was helping to get his house (estate, ha) in order as Renee was the executrix but still living in LA and i came upon MY iron from when we were together. which means its now out in the garage "somewhere" - if i can find it, i'll pass it along to the next generation as well!!! (you'd have to be me to get it.............).

the "S" word is in the forecast, but more like some snow FLAKES may fall here in the lowlands, not any real SNOW. but hey, we'll take it!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wisconsin, that sounds like a wonderful way to spend the holiday and even better, the fun has started early. Don't worry about fancy, whatever that is; fun times with family are far more important.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great holiday, Anvil! I have to hit the grocery store tonight for a few things I'm missing for baking tomorrow. I'm sure it will be a madhouse, but I have it down to a science to get in and out as quickly as possible.

Good luck at Wal Mart! I do not envy you there! LOL
Old 12-23-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Um....no?!? Have to still hit up target and the grocery store-making lots of homemade cookies and a birthday cake for Jesus tomorrow-need to still wrap (eeek!) and put together my Santa gift for the girls. Not enough hours in the day but I will prevail
Old 12-23-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck, FoG! You'll make it happen.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds great, Wisconsin!

I'm as ready as I can be... no lights outside this year, but all the decorations are up inside, and on the tree...my boys went to my parents house a few nights ago so I could finish getting all the presents wrapped, and go out and get stocking stuffers...

When I took my boys (2 and 4) to see Santa a couple of weeks ago, DS2 told Santa he wanted "his own vacuum". He was a little disappointed that Santa didn't have the vacuum right there to give him, he's still grasping the whole Santa concept.... But both my boys are getting little dust busters from Santa, which might come in handy for me too.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ha victory, i found the old iron AND it still works!! i guess the correct term is VINTAGE - it's circa early 80's.....1980's. lol
Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kboys-friend, I love that you are getting your boys dust busters. Start them young!!
Old 12-23-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Uh, not to be too gross or gruesome, maybe remind them that the vacuum is not to be used on PEOPLE. There are actually lawsuits out there about males who use the vacuum on, um, PARTS that could be a BIG OWWWIE.

Animals, too. No sucking the kitty's tail up, or water in the tub (eek).

Sorry, occupational hazard. Lawyers are the ones recommending all those warning labels, lol.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Lexie...
yeah, they will be used under supervision only
Old 12-23-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Anvilhead.....no joke.....I have an iron that can well be from the 1880's.....
;:My grandmother gave it to me when I was little....and, it was handed down from her mother's generation....
It is a little tiny iron that has to be heated on the wood stove....
It is intended for tiny ruffles, and baby clothes, etc.....

It is one of my cherished possessions from my childhood......

dandylion
Old 12-23-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So that's what happened to my vacuum!! ^^ lexie^^.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lexie, I'm dying!

Whenever someone complains about the outlandish warning labels on things, and blames "the lawyers," I always say that those warning labels are almost always a direct result of something stupid someone actually did...
Old 12-23-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

my back injury is a direct result of going on a commando house attack with my DYSON!! damn things are dangerous, no matter what you DO with them!
Old 12-23-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

FOG I love that you bake a Birthday cake for Jesus

I'm ready. Adults in our family stopped giving each other gifts years ago - its all about the kids and I love that!

We moved my parents in with my sis to help dad, shes all on one level and he just can't do stairs now, so we're all going there - only a 2 hour drive for me. Were all bringing easy, already made food for tomorrow night and Friday night so she doesn't have to do anything - shes done enough!

My ex sis in law took my niece and nephew there (2 hour drive) last night and left the kids to surprise my dad - he is ecstatic - ex sis in law is giving up her holiday with her kids so they can be with grandpa one last Christmas.

Feeling extremely blessed and just so, so happy we will all be together this year.

Happy Holidays all!!
Old 12-23-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Uh, not to be too gross or gruesome, maybe remind them that the vacuum is not to be used on PEOPLE. There are actually lawsuits out there about males who use the vacuum on, um, PARTS that could be a BIG OWWWIE.

Animals, too. No sucking the kitty's tail up, or water in the tub (eek).

Sorry, occupational hazard. Lawyers are the ones recommending all those warning labels, lol.
Oh, yeah.

I STILL question the necessity, though, of a warning label not to trim your toenails with a chainsaw. OK, that one I made up. It irritates me when the same people whose stupidity is the PROXIMATE CAUSE of their injury wind up getting a settlement from the manufacturer of perfectly safe products because it's cheaper than litigating it.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

OT: Warning Labels

oopsie
Old 12-23-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I say this with all honesty, I'm never going to look at my vacuum the same way again. !!!
Firebolt-this is only the second year I have-thankfully it's the second year without my ex. Coincidence? Jesus saved me and gave me strength- and as my faith grew, my ex would pretend to be faithful, but would get drunk and say the most horrible things to me re my faith. So, since Jesus freed me and my girls from his abuse and destruction, I make a cake to celebrate His birth and what He gave us-freedom.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am ready. My girls are spending tomorrow with their dad for part of the day, so I am just hoping that goes well. All gifts wrapped and under the tree. My youngest let on this year she does not believe in Santa, so I did not have to do the sneaking around I usually do. We baked cookies a couple of weeks ago at my sisters for my birthday weekend. My mom will host everyone, it will be good. Games and good times is what I am hoping for!

FOG..I also love the cake for baby Jesus!