Notices

I'm quitting drinking and smoking now 12.21.15

Old 12-21-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm quitting drinking and smoking now 12.21.15

I've been lurking since 2014, but like MANY, I never BELIEVED, that I was an alcoholic. My name is Syn ergistic for reasons. I believe that I need to give up all substances at once. I smoke, then I drink, I drink then I smoke, I can't do one without the other. History has proven this point. I've, over the course of the last few months, accepted that I' addicted, and that I need ****** help. That, as many will point out is the first step, and for good reason, It' is SO HARD accepting that you are not special and that you are like the rest. I've accepted that, because today I had a business meeting and thing went really well for me, which would have been a great incentive to continue my sobriety path, but instead I went and got drunk to celebrate. That is typical of my life, and yet, not typical. Forget the past. I'm looking forward... I want more than anything to continue with you all and move into a FOREVER sobriety. Here we go!
12.21.15.... **** christmas or happy holidays.... those mean nothing to me... I'll cancel everything a 1000 times to remain sober.....
Old 12-21-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a good starting point Syn3rgistic

**** christmas
No presents from Santa for you tho

D
Old 12-21-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You will find lots of support here.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great having you Syn3gistic. I would recommend coming up with a plan to help keep you accountable and focused on the goal at hand.

You can do this!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Syn.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support here can help you achieve your goals.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome back
Old 12-22-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good to see you again. I think you are on to something with the smoking and drinking. I have found that the two go hand in hand for me as well. I wouldn't be surprised if you had better success by giving up both at once. I am not sure this work for everyone, not suggesting as such, but for some people, yes. I am still smoking but plan to quit shortly. I leave for a week long vacation with my boyfriend on the 26th. He does not smoke and though he doesn't give me too much of a hard time about it he has in the past asked me to stop. Since we will be on vacation together I thought it would be a nice time to stop. I will also be very relaxed and without the stressors that usually lead to me lighting up.

What kind of support will you surround yourself with? I have found that just simply declaring "I quit" has not been enough for me. Will you attend meetings? See your doctor? How can we help?
Old 12-22-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found when I was drinking I had to be smoking. When I'm sober, I'm perfectly content with a very low nicotine e-juice and vaping. But man, when I was drinking, vaping just didn't cut it. Had to be cigarettes. As soon as I quit drinking, the craving for an actual cigarette pretty much went away. They really do go hand in hand for some people and I'm one of them.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Same here - never crave a cigarette sober (I used to be a full time smoker) but give me a drink or two and I had to have the cigarettes to go with it. As if the binge drinking wasn't bad enough...
Old 12-22-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do this Syn3gistic!!
Old 12-22-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Syn3rgistic View Post
I smoke, then I drink, I drink then I smoke, I can't do one without the other. History has proven this point
Hi Syn - It is inspiring to hear your resolve. Your internal organs will thank you. It is amazing that the body can take such pummeling at all.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

.........and Santa understands.