Notices

Inpatient tomorrow

Old 12-20-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inpatient tomorrow

Well I'm heading back to inpatient tomorrow. I'm ready to begin this journey and start a new more fulfilling life.

I'll be back in a few weeks.

🙂
Old 12-20-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck! Sending you lots of strength and positivity. You can do it! Things can only get better!
Old 12-20-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck, STL. Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the best, strongtoolong; give it all you've got and then some.

Congratulations on taking such a positive step.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We'll be thinking of you, strongtoolong - be proud of yourself for taking charge.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Look forward to having you back here soon.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Learn and grow in sobriety all you can from the experience and support you receive.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck, I'm jealous. Take advantage of it.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes strongtoolong

D
Old 12-20-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We'll keep the light on for you, strongtoolong!

Check in when you get back.

Be well.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Best wishes
Old 12-21-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck strong! I look forward to seeing you when you come back a much happy, healthier and stronger strongtoolong!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you reached out and grabbed the support Strongtoolong.
We'll be rooting for you.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made that tough decision. We'll be here when you get back.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do this strongtoolong!!
Old 12-21-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Best wishes, let us know how it goes.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I have let a lot of people down

I checked in to the facility yesterday and was very disappointed with many things regarding the facility, staff members, etc.

This is a facility funded and maintained by the State of Louisiana under Bobby Jindal’s term as governor. It is on a beautiful tract of land, however you can tell that the buildings are old and have not been updated or renovated at all. The environment is old and very depressing which is not very welcoming to a person coming in to recover from mental health and substance issues. It used to be an old mental institution years ago, and frankly it reminded me of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

There were 2 staff personnel that seemed very professional. The remainder were not well informed to answer questions or “pushy”. Many of the staff members seemed to be more on the same level as the patients. There was a lack of discipline by the majority of staff responsible for the oversight of patients.

When I was brought to my dorm room and led to my bed there were ants crawling on it and I had to swipe them off before the sheets were put on. The staff member did not even flinch an eye about this. Now I had fears of sleeping there.

I spent the rest of the afternoon listening to other patients tell me about the rules of the facility and giving me a tour of the areas. I also was given conflicting information about what to bring and not. Some of my items were considered not to be allowed. I noticed afterwards that others had the same items and were allowed to use their items. No big deal but clearly no consistency in the rules and information given to incoming patients. The sessions that I experienced on the first day were all lead by patients. There was no session lead by a professional. Most of the sessions were scheduled for approximately one hour but it was rushed thru in order for the smokers to get another chance to get a smoke break, and leaving the non-smokers idle. The wake up call is for 5:45 am and breakfast is not until 7 am so during that time most drank coffee, watch TV and do some chores which may take 10-15 minutes at the most. I thought the real substantial session of the morning would be the group session, and again there was no social worker present. The patients were free to discuss issues at will. There is simply too much idle time or time without professional guidance. There also was too much joking and laughing during discussions of addiction issues, so how does one recover in sessions which are not taken seriously? Only myself and one other person out of 12 patients were admitted voluntary so others were there simply to avoid serving time in jail.

On another note I will mention the food. It was horrible. Actually I could not eat it. Low institutional grade at best. You are also not allowed to bring snacks or any other food items. I was told about this when I called to attempt to find out what to bring and not to bring. I was told at that time it was due to a bug problem. I should have known then what I was getting into.

I know that this is an "off the beam" trait (self-justification vs. being humble?), but I feel that my time is better spent reading my new found resources, taking notes, going to AA meetings, and participating in the SMART Recovery forums.

My sister is very upset with me, and I really can't blame her. She lent me money to get a taxi there and back, so I really feel bad about letting her down. She thinks my only salvation after my last relapses is to be at the facility and not at home.

I was in an inpatient facility last summer, and we rarely had time without a social worker or counselor. When we did we had homework assignments to do, and we were held accountable for that work. I know there is a difference between paying to attend a program and receiving charity from a state funded program, but I did not want to spend two to three weeks idle and uninterested in the program.

Am I being stubborn and unrealistic to think that I can do this on my own with SMART Recovery, AA, and Sober Recovery without being in the inpatient program?

I'm keeping an open mind so please tell me what your thoughts and experiences are.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by strongtoolong; 12-22-2015 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 12-22-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I was in an inpatient facility last summer, and we rarely had time without a social worker or counselor. When we did we had homework assignments to do, and we were held accountable for that work.
Yet you still drank and obviously things must have gotten worst since this time around you could not afford a nice facility.
Am I being stubborn and unrealistic to think that I can do this on my own with SMART Recovery, AA, and Sober Recovery
This is how most of us on this board did it (without going to treatment). You have to want to be sober more than you want to get loaded. It is also important that you come to accept that you can never drink safely again and be ok with that (acceptance) and of course you have to do the footwork.
You can definitely do it. We are here to support you but ultimately it's up to you whether you will commit to lifetime abstinence.
A good start might be to check in daily on the 24 hours club where we commit not to drink or drug for that day. It is a fun supportive thread and a good way to hold ourselves accountable.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5702284
I would also suggest that you join the class of December so you can get support from your peers who quit at the same time and are going through roughly similar experiences
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-2-a-19.html
You can do it
Old 12-22-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I'm sorry the experience was so bad. But you can do this on your own. Today was my 100th day of sobriety. I'm relying on SR and a number of other lifestyle changes but no other formal programs. It's hard work but many others have done it.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
A good start might be to check in daily on the 24 hours club where we commit not to drink or drug for that day. It is a fun supportive thread and a good way to hold ourselves accountable.

I would also suggest that you join the class of December so you can get support from your peers who quit at the same time and are going through roughly similar experiences
Thanks Carlotta! I was not aware of those two links. I'll visit them tonight!