Notices

Newbie Here *waves*

Old 12-19-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Here *waves*

Hi, I'm completely brand new here but am eager to get myself involved. Any random advice you might have to impart on a newcomer seeking to get better connected here, feel free. c:

My drinking has always been borderline problematic and I have been using & abusing alcohol on/off since I was 16 (so about seven years at this point). I think I was aware that a lot of the problems I have had to face were usually a result of my drinking (relationship issues, infidelity, health problems, etc.). However, the blackouts are the most frightening problem, the thing which made me realize that I need to actually take action here.

My blackouts started only a year ago and have since evolved from a random occurrence to basically a biweekly thing. For whatever reason, I can't stop once I've started and I almost always drink myself to a blackout once I get started. My life now feels totally out of control and I don't know how to regain that control anymore. I look in the mirror and it seems that I don't know the person looking back at me.

I made three very deliberate attempts to quit drinking over the past couple months. My most recent quit lasted a week but I caved into temptation & went on a two day binge. Woke up this morning to the realization that I need to take a more aggressive approach, try to get connected somehow. So I went to an AA meeting earlier tonight. But, after getting all the way there, I chickened out. I have been to AA once before but I never really got connected and haven't been sure a 12 step program with such a religious slant would be right for me.

Anyways, not sure if my little spiel resonates with anyone who has been there or is still in a similar position, but I would love to hear any thoughts about what's worked for you or other ideas.

Thanks! c:
Old 12-19-2015, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA just involves a Higher Power-it can be the group itself or anything you define as such. Super Ego if you like. Alcohol can be your Id. (Sigmund Freud)

I was terrified to walk into an AA meeting but I guess I was more frightened by continuing my drinking. Turned out it was a great group. I've been to 2 others that weren't. If there are several groups in your area try going to all of them. You'll probably find one you like. Otherwise try going at different times-they will have different people present.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard whiimsy

SR helped me stay sober - there's a lot of advice support and experience here.

I know change is daunting but myadvice is do whatever it takes to change things around - its worth it

D
Old 12-19-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Whiimsy. You'll find lots of support here.

We have all been there at one time or another.

Again, Welcome and make yourself at home.

DD
Old 12-19-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Whiimsy! I'm kind of new myself, just a few days into my second attempt. There are lots of encouraging people here and many useful resources and experiences to glean from. Although it is still early for me, I feel a lot different this time around because like you I am reaching out for help more actively - on this site and with professional help. Please stick around because it can only help you stay on track with sobriety.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and don't let the religious slant bother ya. Choose a higher power of your own understanding Step Two says came to believe not that you must. My high power in the beginning was a good bye letter to my drugs of choice as I pulled it out and read it every time I wanted to use. My higher power which I choose to call MOFO is as messed up as I am for this to work. A simple please keep me sober spoke often but I have to choose to own my sobriety or let my addiction own me. Get to a meeting get a sponsor and work the steps is my suggestion for that is what work for me. It is worth it and so are YOU!!
Old 12-20-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Whiimsy.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome - I'm only on day 7 so understand where you are at! This forum is awesome good luck with your decision to quit
Old 12-20-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Whimsy
Old 12-20-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Whiimsy. I know a lot of people here can relate with your experience with alcohol. This is a great place for support when you need it.

Ultimately, only you can make the decision to get sober, but we are all here for you!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Whiimsy!!
Old 12-20-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!