Notices

What I have to do

Old 12-18-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What I have to do

Looking back over a few 24 hours I have discovered there are very, very few things I have to do. I don't have to go to parties, wedding receptions, family functions and the list going on and on.

What I do have to do, is never ever take that first drink by guarding my sobriety like my life depended on it because it does. I have had uncomfortable conversations, numerous eye rolls, and ruffled feathers but most in my life still love me and more importantly I am sober. Normal drinkers never have and never will understand.

When my son got married I had to go to the wedding, I had to help with expenses but I didn't have to go to the reception. I told everyone that mattered I made no guarantees about how long or if I would be at the reception. My son gets it. He said, "Dad, I would rather have you alive and sober for the rest of your life than to have you at my reception for one night." As it turned out I was there most of the night and had a great time

Over the years people have given up trying to coax or guilt me into doing things concerning alcohol that I am not comfortable with. They know my wishes are non-negotiable so there is no point in even trying.

On occasions I do go to events with alcohol because I want to. I enjoy the company of a group of people that are normal drinkers. I have told a couple of them they are abusing alcohol because they drink half a glass of wine and leave the rest. To me that is alcohol abuse. In these situations I always drive separately and leave if I am feeling anxious. I don't go to drinking situations because I have to. I go to have an enjoyable time. If it is not enjoyable there is no point in going.

With all the drinking at this time of year I wanted to put down in writing how this alcoholic does it and continues to do it.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

very nice MIR. A sensible approach to maintaining our sobriety and saying happy. Spoken like a guy who been there and done that. Congratulations in your achievement.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Looking back over a few 24 hours I have discovered there are very, very few things I have to do. I don't have to go to parties, wedding receptions, family functions and the list going on and on.

What I do have to do, is never ever take that first drink by guarding my sobriety like my life depended on it because it does.
I concur 100%. The list of things we have to do is extremely small. And very clear. Stay sober.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Only drinking 1/2 of a glass and leaving the rest is alcohol abuse.....that makes no sense to me, but then again I am an alcoholic. LoL that is one of the things we were laughing at tonight at the meeting. I know it's not really funny but to a drunk it kinda is

Susan
DOS 12/14/15.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

What I do have to do, is never ever take that first drink by guarding my sobriety like my life depended on it because it does.
Excellent post and very appropriate in the newcomers forum and considering the season. You nailed it.
I don't go to drinking situations because I have to. I go to have an enjoyable time. If it is not enjoyable there is no point in going.
Ditto. I value my sobriety and I will not jeopardize it because of "people pleasing". What other people think of me is none of my business. Making sure I don't go back to that depressing dark hole is my business and I will do whatever it takes not to.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good post Mir
Old 12-19-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Really great post, MI...

I totally agree.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

This works for me, too!
Old 12-19-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done.

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post

What I do have to do, is never ever take that first drink by guarding my sobriety like my life depended on it because it does. I have had uncomfortable conversations, numerous eye rolls, and ruffled feathers but most in my life still love me and more importantly I am sober. Normal drinkers never have and never will understand.

When my son got married I had to go to the wedding, I had to help with expenses but I didn't have to go to the reception. I told everyone that mattered I made no guarantees about how long or if I would be at the reception. My son gets it. He said, "Dad, I would rather have you alive and sober for the rest of your life than to have you at my reception for one night." As it turned out I was there most of the night and had a great time

Over the years people have given up trying to coax or guilt me into doing things concerning alcohol that I am not comfortable with. They know my wishes are non-negotiable so there is no point in even trying.

On occasions I do go to events with alcohol because I want to. I enjoy the company of a group of people that are normal drinkers. I have told a couple of them they are abusing alcohol because they drink half a glass of wine and leave the rest. To me that is alcohol abuse. In these situations I always drive separately and leave if I am feeling anxious. I don't go to drinking situations because I have to. I go to have an enjoyable time. If it is not enjoyable there is no point in going.

With all the drinking at this time of year I wanted to put down in writing how this alcoholic does it and continues to do it.
Good for you. Great post. It takes planning and execution to stay sober. Everything in my life is negotiable except one I will NEVER TAKE THAT FIRST DRINK. NO MATTER WHAT.