Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

The 1, 2 (or 3) things that have helped you to achieve sobriety

Notices

Old 12-18-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got this idea from a response to a post recently. But what is the 1 2 or 3 things that have helped you achieve sobriety, or keep your sobriety.

My was getting my depression and anxiety in check which was a direct result of:

1. Exercise- getting that heart rate up, and getting your body moving instead of promoting a sedentary life style. Helps your endorphins and chemicals in your brain.

2. Yoga- just taking a minute (or 20) to relax, reflect, stretch, and let your body relieve itself of daily stresses. Even if you dont feel stressed after a hard day, or easy day, you still build up some kind of stress. Stress has been linked to multiple health conditions both mental and physical.

3. Diet- no I dont mean losing weight, but a diet that INCLUDES at least 5 fruits and/or veggies a day, a lower fat diet (less animal fats, sweets etc), a diet rich in fiber, a diet rich in essential oils (omegas), and water, water water water water.... cut down on the soda, coffee, juices etc that are all sources of refined sugars.

No Im not a yoga health nut hippy who is about to go hug trees after the this post, but a more peaceful lifestyle has really helped me along the road to recovery.

What about you? What do you do?
Old 12-18-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The number one thing for me that works is focusing on my dogs and cats and caring for them. I have to be at my best to care for them properly. I can only do that if I'm sober.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Mine is not wanting to spend the last third of my life like I did the first two thirds. I want to experience life, the good and the bad. I spent too many years just numbing it out. Between that and the potential health issues the drinking had to go. And I'm happy for that.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Acceptance, work on sobriety via reading, group therapy & individual therapy, service, volunteering, meetings, a willingness to learn, college
Old 12-18-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

1. Wanting to stay sober more than I want to get drunk -- and doing whatever it takes to keep my priorities in that order.

This has required making fundamental changes in how I think, perceive and react to the world.

Attention to exercise, diet, and stress levels play a part in this, but for me don't represent a total solution in and of themselves.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Building a happy positive life I have no need to escape from

D
Old 12-18-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Living in the present, practicing mindfulness, meditation, gratitude, which has help to relieve depression, anxiety and my mental illness. All of this has turned into living in a positive mindset.

Even though some days could be called crappy, I just think about what I am grateful for... and it changes any negative thoughts.

Not putting up with family demands... it drove me crazy and I don't take it anymore.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Bumping this its a good thread
Old 12-19-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My responsibilities to myself, family, health, home, pets, and to be a good example to others in sobriety.