Should I meditate ?

Old 12-18-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Post Should I meditate ?

Should I Meditate? - 99u
Old 12-18-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's a school of thought out there that says we all should. They might be right?
I like it. Quiets the mind a bit.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I try to meditate every morning & evening when I'm out and about sometimes too
Old 12-18-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been trying some at night. With me being new to recovery (4 weeks) I have found it difficult for my mind to concentrate still. Any advice?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes practice. There are a number of different methods. The one I follow is to simply allow my mind to travel as it wishes. If a negative thought/image enters, I try to recognize it and then move on to another thought. I do this nightly right before bed.

Visualization is good therapy too. Being creative with thoughts. Imagine a different, made-up world. Perhaps one where you are free of doubt, happy and content. I often play it like a movie in my mind.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Meditation is not about concentrating. You mind will have all sorts and lots of thoughts. Just let them flow through without giving them any weight and return to your breathing. It get's easier with time.

EDIT See this, http://www.thetadprinciple.com/free-...e-0101adj.html
Old 12-18-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Scottie I'm a beginner myself 6-7 months tbh I have ScottfromWI to thank as it was him who first got me interested in mindfulness and it was from there i really got into meditation I try paying attention on purpose & try to calm my mind by staying present if I drift off into thoughts I forgive myself & bring it bk with breathing exercises

Here's some that help me

https://youtu.be/LSIlM4ZePWM

Breathing Meditations -- learn to meditate using the breath. | Meditation Oasis

A breathing exercise that calms panic attacks.

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice*Anywhere - Self help for anxiety -
Old 12-18-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Soberwolf in my opinion it is ''the best exercise in the world '' and the benefits are amazing , that coupled with AA program are an ideal combination .

Regards .

Stevie
Old 12-18-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I utilize passage meditation
Learn Passage Meditation | Blue Mountain Center of Meditation & Nilgiri Press
Old 12-18-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent link Fly thank you
Old 12-18-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It has shown that it greatly improves your mood, mind, and well being as does Yoga which incorporates some meditation... mediation, yoga, and on the flip side vigorous exercise, along with a well balanced diet can compound your good mood... they are great tools for everyone to use, not just us.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
waking down

I've been meditating most days for almost two years (started immediately after I quit drinking). I am now following the MBSR course on this website: Online MBSR (free). I recommend the book, Full Catastrophe Living for a full explanation of the program. I don't think I'd still be sober without meditation and mindfulness. Buddhism has provided the spirituality I was lacking as a nontheist. It is good to try recordings, but I always like getting back to basic sitting, breathing, noting/observing, and redirecting focus on the breath. MBSR starts with this simple body scan meditation exercise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQRQoLIP32Q
Old 12-18-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes.

I follow AA's recovery program. Step 11 is all about prayer and meditation, and my sponsor told me I need to practice Steps 10, 11, and 12 to stay in fit spiritual condition.

I was also taught that God only exists in the present moment. If my mind has racing thoughts depressed about the past, or anxious about the future, I am not living in the present moment and therefore cannot be in conscious contact with my conception of God.

I was also taught to keep meditation simple. It can be as simple as sitting in a chair, sitting up straight, eyes closed, and just focusing all your attention on your breath. I once heard an AA podcast speaker say "breath and posture, that's all it is."

I have taken a class on mindfulness based on the work by Jon Kabit-Zinn and I really enjoyed it.

This all being said, I absolutely suck at disciplining myself to meditate or to practice mindfulness. But I did want to at least share what I was taught, and that I strongly believe that it works in quieting the mind.

My husband started meditating about a year or so ago to help his anxiety. He started at 30 seconds and now he's up to about 10 minutes. It really helps him.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Meditation is not about concentrating. You mind will have all sorts and lots of thoughts. Just let them flow through without giving them any weight and return to your breathing. It get's easier with time.
I agree with this. When I first tried meditating, I thought I was doing it wrong because it'd be as if my mind was racing even worse. But eventually the thoughts slowed down and it was a lot easier to just let them go instead of feeding into them. Returning to my breath was key. It does get easier with time and you'll notice the benefits, too.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm intrigued by yoga thank you Jryan

Thank you for the links Zero

Awesome post live in peace I've read Kabat Zinns book & really learned loads in it
Old 12-18-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I'm intrigued by yoga thank you Jryan

Thank you for the links Zero

Awesome post live in peace I've read Kabat Zinns book & really learned loads in it
Thanks. :-) Hmm maybe you can offer suggestions as to how I can apply what I learned and become disciplined with it? Or should I start a new thread; I don't want to hijack your thread.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I meditate at least 20 minutes a day and I practice mainly Zen meditation. It has made a HUGE difference in my life.
I've been trying some at night. With me being new to recovery (4 weeks) I have found it difficult for my mind to concentrate still. Any advice?
If you don't have any meditation centers nearby and are struggling with it you might want to look up guided meditations on youtube. There are hundred of those and it should help you get started
Old 12-18-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The health and mental health benefits of meditation are astonishing and are now well documented. It's interesting how an ancient spiritual practice can have such a profoundly positive results. Here is a nice (though somewhat long) introduction to Transcendental Mediation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO3AnD2QbIg
Old 12-18-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by LiveInPeace View Post
Thanks. :-) Hmm maybe you can offer suggestions as to how I can apply what I learned and become disciplined with it? Or should I start a new thread; I don't want to hijack your thread.
Your not hijacking the thread I'm a beginner myself though I have offered suggestions throughout this thread as others have aswell but as to suggest to help you apply what you have learned i think is up to you as for becoming disciplined I would say make a point of becoming committed to it everyday

I meditate in the morning 15-20 minutes & at night around 30-45 minutes
Old 12-18-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Awuh