Notices

Mad Friday - Party Season

Old 12-18-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mad Friday - Party Season

So it's the Friday before Christmas which, in the UK at least, is traditionally the day when people drink the most in any 1 day.

I know how I used to be years ago, finish work, off to pub, drink as much as possible and usually make a complete fool of myself as if this were something that just had to be done.

I'm surprised just how much publicity is given to today as some kind of amazing drinking day, here in the UK. Not sure what it is like in the US or elsewhere. Many offices shut today till the New Year so it's a big party.

For those who are just starting out in sobriety, and those further down the line, you can stay strong and get through this festive period. It is ok to say no to invites and even avoid the office party if you need to. A brief appearance, 1 soft drink and a swift exit and most people will not even realize you have gone. If that is too difficult then just don't go.

For me, I always have an escape route. I don't rely on others to drive me or have to wait for others. I just drive myself and if I have to go I just go.

Don't feel you have to explain your choice of drink to anyone and 'no' is a complete answer when asked if you are drinking. You owe no one an explanation.

Staying sober tonight and every night means you won't be worried about making a fool of yourself or getting stopped driving in the morning and breathalysed. It's 20 years ago this Christmas since I lost my licence and it is no fun.

You won't waste Christmas worried about going back to work because you did or said something inappropriate to a colleague or your boss.

You will wake tomorrow with peace of mind,
Happy Sober Friday, Weekend and Festive Season
Old 12-18-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy sober friday bud
Old 12-18-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks sw. you too
Old 12-18-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Ready. Here in Canada, or at least where I'm from, this weekend is a common time for Christmas parties as well. This will be my first go at sobriety during the holidays. Everyone here, and there will be lots, will be drinking, some heavily.

I am reminding myself throughout the evening that I will be quite happy to wake up tomorrow and know I did nothing inappropriate and no hangover.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cancelled !!

Was supposed to be mad weekend straight out all day tomorrow also is what all the lads are doing - I'm having a lovely evening in doors taking care of the wife and daughter who are both feeling a bit under the weather.

First one of my recent cancelled events tho that I truly am not bothered about - last few I've been as miserable as sin and thinking of what I'm missing out on with huge cravings etc - not got or had any of those feeling at all today / tonight.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a great feeling Vona and one I never tire of Have a lovely sober evening & weekend
Old 12-18-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Cancelled !!

Was supposed to be mad weekend straight out all day tomorrow also is what all the lads are doing - I'm having a lovely evening in doors taking care of the wife and daughter who are both feeling a bit under the weather.

First one of my recent cancelled events tho that I truly am not bothered about - last few I've been as miserable as sin and thinking of what I'm missing out on with huge cravings etc - not got or had any of those feeling at all today / tonight.
Have a good evening Andy - you won't wake up feeling rubbish tomorrow. Am waving at you from up the road here in Lancs