Notices

What's wrong with me??

Old 12-17-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's wrong with me??

What the hell is wrong with me why can't I stop drinking!! Right now I'm really angry with myself I was exhausted yesterday from drinking but I still went and drank last night. This has led to me being awake half the night with some kind of insomnia and now i will endure another day if exhaustion!! I have no will power .... none!! I'm fed up with this stupid cycle!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi adelina ,
drinking when you don't want to , i used to do that and i'm an alcoholic .

You need never feel this way again if you give up for good .

Maybe you need a bit more help than you're providing yourself with now ?

What could you do to add to to what you are doing ? as what your doing now dosnt seem to be cutting the mustard .

inpatient ? out patient ? group therapy ? AA? life ring ? RR ? the Dr for anti-alcohol drugs ?

Take care , m
Old 12-17-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had no willpower either Adelina which is why I needed to work on acceptance - acceptance that my relationship with drinking would destroy me.

When you consider the late nights, the illnesses, the secrecy, trying to balance home and work and a desire for alcohol...I worked pretty hard at continuing drinking...

I needed to work even harder than that at getting sober and staying that way.

What does your recovery plan look like?

D
Old 12-17-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember that sort of insomnia adelina123 and the sick stomach that preceded the second lot of drinking. This can end. It's less about willpower than being prepared to make some changes.

Step 1 is to stop bringing the booze home or going out to it.
Step 2 is to make a plan to guide you through those times when cravings hit.

Right now I suggest a warm drink and trying to sleep or at least rest.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

Most of us have found ourselves asking that same question: why can't I stop? Sometimes the answers aren't immediate, sometimes when they come they aren't simple either. We drink again because our bodies develop a physical dependence on it to function "normally." We drink again because of stress, disappointment and/or other psychological reasons. We drink to cover emotions or to amplify them.

The good news is that while we all have different reasons we have been lead about by our addiction, when we tend to find that when we seek help from others who have fought addiction that A. we are not alone and B. others have gone through bouts of hopelessness--thinking there was no way out at some time--yet discovered a way to not only live without alcohol, but to live well.

For a time, I had years clean but after some troubles and a slump in sticking to a program of sobriety I find myself back in what's called "early recovery" again. I found myself back in the cycle too. But with a difference that I now know with absolute certainty that there is a way. I do it the same way I encourage you to do it, get up and do it one day at a time. If you drank the day before and I drank four months ago, what difference does that make for tomorrow for either of us? We can take this Friday for sobriety; start building a new cycle.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Adelina,

Sorry that you drank last night.

I have no willpower either but I want to be sober and healthy more than I want to be drunk and / or hungover.

I plan my day to be sober in the full knowledge that I have zero willpower, so....

No booze in the house.
Don't go to where the booze is.
I do something different to keep my mind off the booze.

I've done this for a while now and am getting more comfortable every day with the thought of being near alcohol but not drinking. But that's how I started.

I do also accept that I have to take ownership of my addiction and that starts with choosing sobriety over choosing to drink.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No rest for me marcher 13 up to get us ready for school and work. I have a full day ahead and now cos I stupidly drank yet more wine I will struggle through it and let's face it not enjoy it!!

This thing is getting worse. I know it's progressive but my god this last year things have really speeded up i don't know why!!

I kind of have a plan but then when I want a drink i just completely ignore the plan!! My life must be worth more than this surely!!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're still drinking on your plan, maybe you need a better plan adelina?

D
Old 12-18-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Adelina, I ask myself that question for years, and now over 5 years sober still don't know what's wrong with me and perhaps never will know. But what I do know is you can quit drinking, so put that anger to use figuring it out, we are all rootin for ya.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Adelina

I think the only thing which is wrong about you is that you are human.

I dont remember now who said that humans are emotional creatures masqeurading for logical ones. If logic was our primal driver, humankind would look... quite differently.

Willpower is never enough - to stay sober everyone needs a well-tjought system that matches his or her individuality. Willpower needed at some point - to make a first step, to commit yourself to sobriety , but a plan and support needed to keep that fire that willpower ignites.

Make a cmmitment to stay sober and make your plan today - and lnever leave yoru sobriety at the mercy of circumstances or the waty you feel.

Best wishes to you..
Old 12-18-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Acceptance Adelina when you finally accept that you just can't drink things will improve esp if there is a plan in place that youl work to make happen
Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

staying sober has nothing to do with willpower alone....it starts with the humble acceptance that drinking is no longer an option - your body and mind have an allergic reaction to alcohol AND ALWAYS WILL.

half measures avail us nothing. having a "kinda" plan is doomed to fail. we must marshal all our resources and set ourselves up for SUCCESS at NOT drinking. that means no booze in the house, no booze in the grocery cart, no attending events where booze is offered. it also means finding a program that works FOR you and that you can WORK effectively. that is the key word - WORK.

sober doesn't show up on the doorstep delivered via Fed Ex. Sober is something that we work for every day. that we embrace every day, and become humbly grateful for the gift.

you never again have to feel like you to do right now.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. With xmas round the corner I'd be lying if I said I know I won't drink and what's the point in lying.
However .... something needs to change or else I'm scared for the future. I will not be drinking today!!!!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Adelina, to help us help you, can you let us know what your "kind of" plan is, and what you've tried in the past?

Just about every possible method to get sober has been used by people here on SR, and you'll find support for whatever you think might work best. But it would be really useful to know what you've tried, or been trying, already. Given your current plan hasn't worked so far, the chances of it working in the future, unchanged, is roughly about zero.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's been my experience that it has absolutely nothing to do with will power. Or knowledge. I learned this in the rooms of AA.

Take care and be good to yourself today.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

One day at a time Adelina focus strictly on today no projections x
Old 12-18-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Perhaps it's time for a different kind of plan. You've been trying to do it on your own, or at least without face to face support. If that has not worked out then change it. Face the fear.

Try an AA meeting.

By the responses of people posting on this site, about 80 to 90 percent of people attending their first meeting were very happy they did. The odds are in your favor
Old 12-18-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Adelina, sounds as if you are struggling, but you have a strong desire to quit. Just don't know how. I think there has been some good advice here. Not sure if you are in a position to take advantage of professional help. I professed to my wife if I ever couldn't quit, I would voluntarily go to rehab. Too many good things happening in life to drink it away. Best wishes.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So my 'kind of plan' was
1. Don't buy wine
2. Try to keep busy
3. Try other ways of relaxing I.e reading colouring etc that's about it for nowx
Old 12-19-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good start Adelina here are some links it has all the plan building SR links and other awesome links

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html