Notices

Relapse prevention weekender Dec 18

Old 12-16-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Exclamation Relapse prevention weekender Dec 18

Taste, touch, smell. How about people, places or things?

Better yet what does a 5K run, a root canal, and a promotion all have in common?

To an alcoholic, addicted mind nothing and everything.

It's the small things that can add up for me. Nothing sneaks up. Nothing suddenly over takes me. Events leading me in the direction I don't want to go are all around me. If I let them that is.

The run was hosted by a local Brewer. I left promptly only to hear comments after of "oh you should have stayed, we had such fun." ... No.

The root canal had a portion where the doctor used a heat gun to set things. The smell and smoke tasted and looked like the crack I once found irresistible. An extremely powerful message to my mind. And you know what. I still find it irresistible... But hell no.

Who does not want to celebrate a promotion at work? Me. Oh I will celebrate but just not how people are telling me I should. ... No.

Relapsing is not part of recovery. It's not part of sober living. Am I missing out? No. Nothing of the sort.

Joy comes in many forms and in many colors. It may not look like I expect it when it arrives. It certainly doesn't need to look like everyone tells me it should. It's not at the bottom of anything. It's not in a puff of smoke as it wafts away.

This is a tough week. People will be telling you many things that will give you a pause. Possibly reconsider your choice to stay sober. Don't let those things fool you. You are way smarter and way stronger than that.

Can you hear it? I certainly can!!!

*Ring Ring* goes the sober bells of freedom.

Welcome to your sober relapse prevention weekend!!!! Please share with us how you stay sober.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

you need a guy who uses UV light to set fillings, man...

D
Old 12-16-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

nice one K ,
stay strong and keep ringing out the bells for people ,

Busy day's at the moment , trying to get things back up and working after the floods.

m
Old 12-16-2015, 10:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ha ha Dee yeah maybe I do! I was shocked at my reaction. The way our minds and senses work is amazing.

This was a special I cannot sleep edition!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never done crack but the heat stuff made me think of angle grinders LOL

D
Old 12-16-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do believe that shotgun is still open. Dee, Mecanix and I are exempt from calling it.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shotgun!!!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And I'm glad you started this thread tonight, Ken! So I can wish happyandfree a very happy birthday! It sounds like a wonderful meal!

I always like to say, you can't go wrong with a ribeye!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning is it t early to ride the roof ? It's never too early to ride the roof just need a wooly hat gloves & scarf woooohooooo
Old 12-16-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Soberwolf, we'll turn on the special roof heater so your paws don't freeze! Awooooooo!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on the bus by the window. Waves.xx
Old 12-17-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Climbing aboard!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am in!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm in too!

I'm going on my honeymoon tomorrow but determined to stay sober with meetings!
Old 12-17-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm in - great post Ken.

Have a great honeymoon Yogini !!

Just let friends know who we are visiting for NYE where I am upto, not been sure how to approach it, evening is planned to go to a party in the local parish hall, it's their first year in their new house after returning from overseas and a small rural community that they are settling in well with and I was a little unsure as to how they would feel. As with all friends everything always revolves around plenty of drinking - pleased to say they are understanding of the situation and happy to change plans if needed.

Think given the fact I've shut myself off from everything for the last month I need to get myself out there and let others have their fun too - just said as long as I can slope off should I feel the need then lets go with it. Good thing is at least I won't be making a fool of myself and showing anyone up with their new friends / neighbours !!

Anyone else have similar plans over the festive period where they are going to attend and not done so upto now ? or had previous experience form their first night out in similar circumstances - determined I can do this and won't drink but don't want to be a right misery either - any input appreciated.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Andy,

I went to a wedding sober very recently and it was difficult to avoid cravings until I sat down for dinner. As soon as the food came out, it was fine. By that point the wedding had been going on for like 6 hours so I felt like I was "past" wanting to drink and ravenous instead. Keep a soft drink in your hand the whole time and that might help too.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Count me in! Great post K! Great to see everyone!

RedAndy, this will be my first sober xmas. I will be around others and in situations that I have dealt with over the past year, but not with as much alcohol free flowing. My plan is to have my replacement drink easily to hand and keep on checking in to SR.

All the best,

B
Old 12-17-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What is this world coming to... No predictability whatsoever... Weekdender thread started on a Wednesday...

Oh, greetings and all that.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I went to my partner's retirement party last night and found having my diet coke in hand was important. Also taking a break and not feeling like I had to talk all the time with people; stepping aside and just watching was good. It also became apparent to me as the evening went on what a mess people turn in to when they drink. I'm sure I was beyond a mess in my drinking days. I don't want to be a mess anymore. Stay strong RedAndy and keep in mind who you really want to be and who you want to be remembered in your mind. Make some special and memorable memories Yogini on your honeymoon; a sober memory is always a good one.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Friend has just replied saying they'd actually be more than happy to stay indoors playing games with the kids etc on NYE - that suits me fine to be honest, will deal with the events / parties as and when they come up in the future, on a corporate do at the football over Christmas too but already committed to driving there anyway, so whilst that would have been a place that I would have been smashed previously its not an option anyway.