Notices

Gonna give sobriety another shot.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gonna give sobriety another shot.

I tried sobriety back in 2011. But, I later convinced myself that I wasn't an alcoholic and instead a "problem drinker." For the past couple years, I've been drinking once or twice a week (mostly beer) and haven't gotten in much trouble. But, last night, I had a few too many and I do not recall driving home even though I definitely drove home from work (my commute is about 40 miles one-way).

Now, the guilt is killing me!! I placed other people's lives at risk by driving drunk!! Gonna start by asking God for forgiveness and seek the strength never to drink again.

So, here goes, Day 1 of sobriety begins today, 12/16/15.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it, Lawyer.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back, lawyer, and congratulations on your decision to lead a sober life.

We are here for you.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It gets really scary sometimes, doesn't it!

I'm glad you're back and working on your recovery.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Lawyer. Did you have any kind of formal plan for your recovery last time around? Do you think you'll do anything differently this time?
Old 12-16-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back Lawyer. Did you have any kind of formal plan for your recovery last time around? Do you think you'll do anything differently this time?
I didn't have any formal plan last time. This time around, I plan to meditate in the mornings and say a prayer in the afternoons. I've also read the rational recovery book.

Today was easy; the real test will be this Friday -- office holiday party.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lawyer101 View Post
Today was easy; the real test will be this Friday -- office holiday party.
I hear ya, Lawyer. Our office party is this Friday too. I don't really want to go, but I always help out with set-up and appies. And drinking is always part of that process. I am thinking of bringing my own non-alcoholic beverage and having an exit strategy.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vona71 View Post
I hear ya, Lawyer. Our office party is this Friday too. I don't really want to go, but I always help out with set-up and appies. And drinking is always part of that process. I am thinking of bringing my own non-alcoholic beverage and having an exit strategy.
Good idea. I told my secretary to keep an eye on me and slap me if she sees a drink in my hand
Old 12-16-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I have 40 days give or take and my office party is on Friday too. Not too worried because I have told a few of my colleagues that I am not drinking and while alcohol will be served we have a good number of non drinkers so I won't stand out. However I think I can't be overconfident either. This is still a risky situation. Cautious optimism is my plan. Wish you success as well.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk nice to meet you
Old 12-17-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day No. 2 going well so far. But, happy hour at the pub next to work starts at 3 p.m. and I'm already getting texts from my "drinking buddies" inquiring about my plans for this evening. I'm not going to respond and make some excuse later. For right now, trying my best to remain focused on work work & work!

Also, the holiday party is tomorrow and I'm already getting "you ready to party it up tomorrow"-type questions at the office. I just need to cowboy the f**k up and tell myself that I CAN stay sober; I don't need damn alcohol to have fun . . .
Old 12-17-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

Maybe nows not the time to pony up - can you not go to these events?
A little ways down the track with some more 'sobriety muscles' you can go wherever you like, but I don't think it's cheating or weak to avoid alcohol centered events right now.

D
Old 12-17-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done on starting again on the road to sobriety, rather than just brushing what happened off and carrying on as you were. It isn't the easy choice, but I admire you for it.

Quick question, given how concerned you are about it, would it be a crazy idea to just pull a sickie and stay home tomorrow? Nobody would think you're not really ill if it means missing the Christmas bash everyone is looking forward to. Just seems a big test of your new resolve to put yourself in that situation so soon after deciding to quit.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I thought about skipping the party altogether this year, but, unfortunately, doing so may hurt me professionally. This is the one event where we get to socialize with the managing partner and a few big clients and I already told one of the clients that I was looking forward to seeing her at the party.

But, I completely understand the concerns one may have at my early stages of sobriety.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Dee's suggestion. Early recovery is a time to be selfish and do what you need for your recovery. The work-related issues can come later.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lawyer101 View Post
I thought about skipping the party altogether this year, but, unfortunately, doing so may hurt me professionally. This is the one event where we get to socialize with the managing partner and a few big clients and I already told one of the clients that I was looking forward to seeing her at the party.

But, I completely understand the concerns one may have at my early stages of sobriety.
If not going isn't an option at all, perhaps start right now coming up with your exit plan. A reason why you can't stay long that is firm, and unbendable. You forgot about a family event you simply can't miss and you really do have to leave by X time. That kind of thing. Christmas season is full of clashing events, so nobody will be surprised. Tell a few people early on so you can't back out on it if the booze starts to prove too tempting. Stay long enough to be sociable, do the networking with clients and management that you need to do, leave full of regrets and apologies for abandoning them so early, then head home sober.

And you'll have the advantage of knowing you weren't involved in a drunken CRI (Career Retarding Incident).

I did something similar the other day. A networking event held in a pub. I wanted to skip it, but there was one person I really had to see, because he'd organised it, invited me as one of the guests of honour, and I was hoping we'd be able to work together on a project. So I turned up, talked to exactly enough people to be seen to be properly networking, cornered the guy who invited me for a very positive 20 minute chat, then apologised that I had to head back for a conference call with LA and Australia which we could only do late at night here due to time zones (and reason I had to stay sober) and left. I did indeed have a conference call with LA and Australia. Just not on that particular night.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
If not going isn't an option at all, perhaps start right now coming up with your exit plan. A reason why you can't stay long that is firm, and unbendable. You forgot about a family event you simply can't miss and you really do have to leave by X time. That kind of thing. Christmas season is full of clashing events, so nobody will be surprised. Tell a few people early on so you can't back out on it if the booze starts to prove too tempting. Stay long enough to be sociable, do the networking with clients and management that you need to do, leave full of regrets and apologies for abandoning them so early, then head home sober.

And you'll have the advantage of knowing you weren't involved in a drunken CRI (Career Retarding Incident).

I did something similar the other day. A networking event held in a pub. I wanted to skip it, but there was one person I really had to see, because he'd organised it, invited me as one of the guests of honour, and I was hoping we'd be able to work together on a project. So I turned up, talked to exactly enough people to be seen to be properly networking, cornered the guy who invited me for a very positive 20 minute chat, then apologised that I had to head back for a conference call with LA and Australia which we could only do late at night here due to time zones (and reason I had to stay sober) and left. I did indeed have a conference call with LA and Australia. Just not on that particular night.
All great ideas, OT. Thanks! I shall report back tomorrow.