Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

UUgghhh....Exercising Patience and Tolerance During the Holiday Season!

Notices

Old 12-16-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Hi Folks,

It's been awhile since I've posted. No big alarms, though.
My Quit date was on July 27, 2015 - and since then, I have not touched a drop.

This is partially due to a solid action plan of staying active, eating healthy, giving thanks and praying, and attending AA Meetings.

However, over the last few weeks - My Nasty little AV has tried to rear its ugly head, and I've resisted. Came close a few times, though. I find myself becoming angry and short-tempered more and more over the holidays, with all the talk of X-mas parties and festivities - where almost everyone is consuming liquor.

I'm fully aware of my emotions, although I cant fully explain why it's happening- but I worry, because after 4 months of sobriety last year in 2014, I had relapsed and blamed my drinking on the fact that "other people" pissed me off somehow, someway. I do not want the same thing to happen again, as I am moving in on that 6 month sobriety milestone.

The holiday season tends to bring out the best, and the WORST in others - but that should not concern me, I know..... Just venting, I guess.... But this time around, I refuse to let alcohol take me down....

Stay strong folks. After a very mild winter (almost no snow at all) - It's finally snowing heavily here in Winnipeg all of today and tomorrow. My co-workers and I are delivering Christmas Hampers to five adopted families in need this afternoon - so it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Here's wishing you all happy holidays, good health and overall happiness in the New Year. Be safe, and stay committed to your sobriety!

....And If you're still struggling, take your life back. Admit that you are powerless over the sauce and give sobriety another shot! It's the best gift you could give yourself, and everyone around you.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Crush your AV with gratitude Dyl keep up the good work & stick close to SR over the holidays
Old 12-16-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Thanks Soberwolf,

I'm doing ok overall, but there are moments....lol...... I just have to keep myself in check.

But It does feel wonderful to be sober, and it definitely feels rewarding to help out others who aren't so fortunate.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just want to pop in and say hello and lend my support by saying I know what you are talking about! It is hard to get that anger in check and for whatever reason the stress (even good stress) of the holidays seems to open the door for flareups of anger.
How lovely of you to adopt those families, enjoy that!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Thanks Mera,

I've been following your threads (past and recent ones). Sorry to hear about your situation this week. I can relate, but I'm more than confident that you'll overcome your hurdles. I'm certainly pulling for you.....

Our department here at the College I work at adopts families through the Salvation Army every year......It's a noble cause, forsure.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

You are doing great Dyl & the best news every time you beat the AV it keeps getting weaker as time goes on
Old 12-16-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, good point about emotions and the holidays. It's harder than ever to manage your emotions with everything the holidays brings. But, being aware is a great start.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Dyl71,if you are attending AA meetings,you have the best support there is to be had over the Festive season.

Keep in contact with your sponsor.

Wishing you well.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Last year was my first sober Christmas since quitting. I had a bit of a feeling of man, I don't get to drink.........poor me.

Today I am of the mind I don't want to drink- that's truly a gift worth celebrating!

Congrats on pushing 5 months - that's really remarkable! I am sure you're enjoying the new found freedom that goes with sobriety. Amazing.

You are not alone, many of us feel or have felt as you do - stay on course, this too shall pass.

Getting outside yourself by giving to others in an incredible "gift" to ourselves - good for you!

There a Toys for Tot's box in a store I frequent near my shop. I have enjoyed tossing a 5 dollar toy in there each time I visit. I am grateful for the opportunity to do that - using cigarette $$ from quitting 9 months back.

Great thread!
Old 12-16-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm finding this Holiday season particularly cray cray...

but I figure as long as I don;t drink/drug on it, and stay at least mostly sane, I'm doing well

sounds like you are too Dyl - self awareness is our best weapon in this stuff
Old 12-16-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 months, i hear u on the xmas emotions.....im actually feeling very aprehensive about xmas, but I know its just the AV talking sh#t in my ear!!!! Im hoping like u that the health & fitness bug will get me through it!!!!x
Old 12-16-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Thanks to all of you for your support and wise words of wisdom. I don't think I would've made it this far without you.....

God Bess! 👍❤️😄👌
Old 12-16-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SLD

Great words of wisdom here. I travel extensively for work, often away over weekends and holidays, and ALL of my co-workers drink and party in the evenings. Damn it's tough to stay off the sauce in that type of environment, just like the holidays at home with family and guests.

Sometimes, I simply am a no-show, stay in my room and read or just chill, but then you get labeled as "anti-social", and no one likes that.

The only alternative for me is to drink fizzy water by the quart. If I don't do that, it'd be just too tempting.

Stay strong everyone!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Dyl,

I can completely relate to that irritable feeling. It was the same irritability I got when I couldn't drink or could only have a couple and had to cut it off. I can also remember the day, three months into sobriety, that I finally threw my hands up and said "i'm a dang alcoholic and I will never be able to drink again period." I was hung up on a very tiny thought that somehow I might be able to someday control drinking again. When I surrendered I was freed. It was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders and sobriety got easier. I still can be irritable but nothing like the old days.

Hang in there buddy. It's worth it.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Dyl71 View Post
But this time around, I refuse to let alcohol take me down....
Hi Dyl - Thanks for the good words. I expect this to be a good holiday year for me; I plan on doing as close to nothing as possible, which should be relaxing.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome posts Dyl
Old 12-18-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Hello again everyone,

I'm seeing lots of posts on the subject of anxiety, and the temptation to drink around the holidays....lotsa office "gift exchanges" really are booze exchanges, and my work environment is no different.

Fight those urges, folks. Remember to think of all those deadly, nasty morning afters. Think of those withdrawal symptoms we've all gone through, too.

We forget too easily sometimes. Be strong. Eat well instead. Treat yourself to a delicious torte or piece of cake, instead. Go out and blaze through the Xmas crowds with a nice hot chocolate and coffee....gaze upon all the little kiddies and their excitement and smiling faces....they don't want you to be drunk, either.

Keep calm and carry on!