Notices

Is this normal for "withdrawal"?

Old 12-16-2015, 01:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Is this normal for "withdrawal"?

I'm on Day 3 right now and have been experiencing an upset tummy (will spare you the gory details lol) from day 2 evening and all day today.

I just wanted to ask whether I am right in linking this to the fact I have gone cold-turkey on wine? Does this mean that I am more physically dependent on alcohol than I actually thought? Usually, I have a bad hangover and by the next day I am right as rain. Lately, I have been drinking more on a daily basis than usual, so perhaps this has taken its toll.

Has anyone experienced this kind of thing before?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, yes. Prior to my relapse it took about a week for my stomach to feel relatively normal.

That being said, if you're worried id advise you to go to the doctors as we can't give medical advice on here :-)

Sounds like one of the many wonders of withdrawal to me though, your body is adjusting to the new life!
Old 12-16-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

My stomach took around 5-7 days to settle
Old 12-16-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was very very common for me - it was a regular part of every detox/withdrawal for at least a few days after...

D
Old 12-16-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I meant to add, things helping my stomach are mint tea and drinking a lot of water. Without sounding gross, I think it's help flushing things out haha
Old 12-16-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i had very very bad stomach pain & bloating for days. I went to the doctor & he gave me an Rx for IBS to help with the cramping. If it stays I would see a doctor. I believe it takes 72 hours for alcohol to fully leave the system, and this is from the time you feel sober, not your last drink.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Even on day 3 I was still having frequent bowel movements. Seems to be settling down on day 4 finally. You body is flushing itself out which is a good thing as long as it settles down soon. If not, you should probably talk to a doctor.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

mint tea- yum! Ginger/Gingerale also helps with stomach pains. I might have to get me some!
Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Other than some nausea, I had no stomach "issues."

Thank goodness.

I hope your tummy settles down , kellyrally.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

Good to know It is getting there
Old 12-16-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep up the great work kelly, it's worth it.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hello. For me I actually had stomach issues for almost 3 weeks before mine got better (yes I went to Dr.) I would suggest that if does last longer than a few days then for sure check in w/ your Dr. so that they can check it out
Old 12-16-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellyrally View Post
I'm on Day 3 right now and have been experiencing an upset tummy (will spare you the gory details lol) from day 2 evening and all day today.

I just wanted to ask whether I am right in linking this to the fact I have gone cold-turkey on wine? Does this mean that I am more physically dependent on alcohol than I actually thought? Usually, I have a bad hangover and by the next day I am right as rain. Lately, I have been drinking more on a daily basis than usual, so perhaps this has taken its toll.

Has anyone experienced this kind of thing before?

Definitely normal. I just stopped drinking on Sunday and had stomach ache/discomfort the last 3 days with no appetite. Hang in there. I actually went to my doc today and he injected me with a vial of Zofran. No dry heaves since and I was able to eat finally.

But yes, it's definitely normal, your stomach just needs to get used to that substance not being there anymore which takes a few days.