Notices

New Here - My Day 1 began yesterday 12/14/15

Old 12-15-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here - My Day 1 began yesterday 12/14/15

What's up, everyone? Name's Chris.

I used to think that drinking was normal but I just realized that it's not in my case. I just finished a 3 day bender over the weekend blacking out all 3 times. It all started with our firm's Christmas party Friday night. I pretty much drank everything in sight. The next day, I began sipping on some beer around 11 am to cure the hangover which led to me going out again Saturday night and drinking myself toward another blackout. Sunday was pretty much a repeat of Saturday. On Monday (yesterday) I woke up with one of the worst hangovers - really bad anxiety is what my hangovers tend to consist of now along with a huge loss of appetite for 3-4 days. Last night I also had the worst night sweats and insomnia. This was the last straw for me.

A little background about me. I'm 31. Been drinking on and off since college. I'm a weekend drinker but I don't stop until I blackout. That was always the case for me. The only difference now is that the older I got, the worse the hangovers have become and it has now affected my productivity in the gym, work, and outside of work. I used to be big into weightlifting and the past couple of years in the gym have been a waste.

Really looking forward to do this thing officially. There have been many times that I said to myself "this is the last time I'll drink", but the beer was back in picture the following Friday. I don't remember the last time I could really enjoy my weekend without feeling like ****.

I admit that I have a problem. Welcome to my Journey.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome and congrats on choosing sobriety. It's kind of hard at first, but it gets easier and the rewards are worth the effort.

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 2 of My Journey

Barely got any sleep last night due to insomnia/night sweats. Stomach discomfort all day along with dry heaves. Still no appetite, some anxiety. Managed to keep down a banana somehow. Drank plenty of water, gatorade, pedialite. Feeling better now. Hope I finally get some sleep tonight.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome and congrats on choosing sobriety. It's kind of hard at first, but it gets easier and the rewards are worth the effort.

I'm glad you joined us.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Glad I found this place today.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Chris; SR is a great place for support, understanding and encouragement.

Congratulations on Day 2.

Sleep may be a little problematic at first; your body is going through a major adjustment; normal sleeping patters will return in time.

Glad you found us, Chris.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome to SR, Chris; SR is a great place for support, understanding and encouragement.

Congratulations on Day 2.

Sleep may be a little problematic at first; your body is going through a major adjustment; normal sleeping patters will return in time.

Glad you found us, Chris.
Thanks, Leigh. Glad to be here.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Chris! I'm so glad you decided to take a look at what alcohol is doing to your life. I wish I had at 31. Instead, I kept trying to be a normal drinker by using willpower to 'control' my drinking. As a result, my life fell apart as an older person.

You have a great attitude & are very self aware. I'm sure being here will help - we all understand what you're going through, like no one else can.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Chris, to SRMand congratulations on your decision to quit the madness!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome from me too, NJPump21912

SR really helped me to break the 'drink- feel bad...feel better-drink' cycle...I know we can help you too

D
Old 12-15-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm also 31 and quit 10 months ago. The first week will probably be miserable with trying to sleep and sweats and anxiety. It gets better. So much better. Don't give up. You can do it bud!
Old 12-16-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm 33 Welcome NJpump
Old 12-16-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Chris! Wishing you the best on your journey
Old 12-16-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Only just arrived here myself.
I know about the insomnia, although I had Sedistress and Melantonin, it still took me over 2 hours to fall asleep.
Now it's 2.30 PM here and I just woke up from an afternoon nap which I really needed. (The sad weather is not very much help)
Succes!! Keep going, all in the same boat here
Old 12-16-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-16-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ilham View Post
Only just arrived here myself.
I know about the insomnia, although I had Sedistress and Melantonin, it still took me over 2 hours to fall asleep.
Now it's 2.30 PM here and I just woke up from an afternoon nap which I really needed. (The sad weather is not very much help)
Succes!! Keep going, all in the same boat here

Last night was brutal for me again. It's like I go to bed close my eyes but just lay there until it's time to get up. Had the night sweats again also. The funny thing is, this never happened to me before. Never again. All the best to you.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome- I am in the same boat, drinking until I blackout. SR is great for keeping on track. I have restarted many times & find that I only do so when I am not active here
Old 12-16-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberseedling View Post
I'm also 31 and quit 10 months ago. The first week will probably be miserable with trying to sleep and sweats and anxiety. It gets better. So much better. Don't give up. You can do it bud!
I know it does. I've already been there once a few years back. It was the best. Waking up in the morning full of energy instead of dreading the whole day. Those days are coming soon, though.

Congrats on your progress also.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to have you here, Chris. I used to have problems sleeping too but now I work a programme and make sobriety a priority, they go away. I also try to follow these simple rules.

1. Don't smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol or coffee in the evening.
2. Eat at regular times of the day
3. Set regular times to go to bed and wake up
4. Don't use electronic devices for half an hour before bedtime (including SR!)
5. Try to focus your mind on your achievements and gratitude before you go to sleep.

It takes a while to get all that together after a lot of drinking but if you can do it, it has a hugely beneficial impact. More than over the counter sleeping medicines, I should think but I'm not a doctor.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am an insomniac, too. I do what you have suggested here and it helps me immensely.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
Good to have you here, Chris. I used to have problems sleeping too but now I work a programme and make sobriety a priority, they go away. I also try to follow these simple rules.

1. Don't smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol or coffee in the evening.
2. Eat at regular times of the day
3. Set regular times to go to bed and wake up
4. Don't use electronic devices for half an hour before bedtime (including SR!)
5. Try to focus your mind on your achievements and gratitude before you go to sleep.

It takes a while to get all that together after a lot of drinking but if you can do it, it has a hugely beneficial impact. More than over the counter sleeping medicines, I should think but I'm not a doctor.

Thank you, I'll definitely try those out.