Notices

8 Months Sober: The Force Awakens

Old 12-14-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Months Sober: The Force Awakens

Today I have 8 months, 240+ days sober and I am so grateful. On Friday December 11, my nephew was born. They say that there are moments we will get back again when we become sober but this was a new moment. A new moment I will cherish forever. I was able to be of service that day and watch over my niece who wanted to stay overnight with me to wait for her cousin to be born. I used to live with my niece last year and we are very close. It was wonderful to see our close bond reignited. However, at 8 months I still have my struggles. This week is my final exam and it was also a big change in my sleeping schedule. So, I have been stressed! And when I get extremely stressed, I get cravings. The negative self-talk in me said “you already are near 8 months and you still sometimes want to put a needle in your arm” but then I reminded myself that every day will not be sunny and cravings or negative thoughts like this will come and go (it is a life-long battle is it not?)
I hope that someone under 8 months can read this and say “Wow, I want to be able to show up for my family and be there & create new memories” because it CAN happen. Trust me, when I decided to stop I had thoughts like “life will NOT be fun anymore, where will be the excitement?” And boy oh boy did I realize that life will ALWAYS be something to be excited for depending on your actions. If you are bored-SAVE UP FOR A MINI TRIP, Travel abroad, study something that motivates you, find a friend that you can talk to for hours, spend time with family, write a book about your using days and create it into a thrilling adventure that turned into another thrilling adventure with sobriety!
As I head into month 8 & begin countdown to 9, I am still petrified for winter weather because it is a huge trigger for me. BUT, thank the Lord it has actually been in the 60’s on the East Coast in December! How do I plan to keep myself busy as winter progresses? I am working extra shifts in January because I will be off from university, I will return to the hospital that I volunteer at, I am looking forward to all the Oscar nominated movies and playing catchup on all films I missed because of exams, and I am going to writing my book slowly but surely during the next months. If you have been following my posts, you know my goal of moving away from NY & returning to my network of AA buddies in CA & yes I still have using family members around me here in NY currently. I don’t want to speak too soon but it is looking like at the end of the spring semester of university in May I may officially be heading there! Patience pays off and boy these past 8 months of recovery has required A LOT of patience. BUT I know it will pay off.
Oh & Happy Holidays, Happy New Year & Happy Star Wars on Friday everyone! Sending you all positive energy and love!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a fantastically positive post and a huge boost to this 'newbie'. Thank you

On the Star Wars 'thing', we have our tickets booked for a 7:30pm (UK time) screening this Thursday. Definitely need a clear head for that!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

An absolutely inspirational and uplifting post.

Congratulations on 8 sober months, skywalker.

Good luck with all of your studies and exams.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

May the force be with you skywalker, always!

Great post.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Skywalker - things are sounding really great for you - awesome

Happy Holidays to you too

D
Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Skywalker91: Looks like you're on a roll! It get's easier and easier but don't become overconfident. If you read about recovery, why not focus on ways to avoid relapses. Hope you never have one! You've just given yourself the ultimate Christmas gift, freedom from slavery, getting your old self back. Hang in there and if you persist you will be very happy. You call it a continual struggle. It hasn't been that way for me. I'd call it continual wariness, watching for any possible triggers. I have no cravings now but I still can't tolerate the smell of the stuff. Like an old racehorse (88) smelling the track. Out to pasture now and enjoying every minute. Every good wish to you for a very very happy new year! Keep in touch.

W.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations skywalker91
Old 12-14-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are doing well. Hope your exams go well. You will most certainly will get better results with a sober brain.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on 8 months Congrats
Old 12-15-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 8 months!
Old 12-15-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad this gave you a boost!

& Ah I will see it Friday after my exam and it premiered in LA last night-they are saying its the best Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back!! I am excited. Yes, I need a clear head for that movie experience too.

Originally Posted by VirginiaWoof View Post
What a fantastically positive post and a huge boost to this 'newbie'. Thank you

On the Star Wars 'thing', we have our tickets booked for a 7:30pm (UK time) screening this Thursday. Definitely need a clear head for that!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I can't wait for it too
Old 12-15-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank You for the kind words SoberLeigh! & I am glad this was uplifting for you

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
An absolutely inspirational and uplifting post.

Congratulations on 8 sober months, skywalker.

Good luck with all of your studies and exams.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank You! I am so glad to be on the better side of the force now that I am sober! The dark side was all a lie and made me feel miserable in the end.

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
May the force be with you skywalker, always!

Great post.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank You Dee! Sober for the holidays sounds so good

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congratulations Skywalker - things are sounding really great for you - awesome

Happy Holidays to you too

D
Old 12-15-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

a wonderful post, that was
Old 12-15-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes focusing on ways to avoid a relapse is very important even though everyone has different things that make them tick! I learned that keeping busy and having goals that truly excite me may be my saving grace. Yes it truly is freedom from slavery and it is more than just getting my old self back, I have a complete new version of myself. During this road of recovery I learned that even before ever touching a drug or drink I was born an addict/alcoholic. It was like being sick and not knowing what my disease was for all these years! Congrats on not having cravings anymore. Thank you for your kind words. Happy New Year to you as well.

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Skywalker91: Looks like you're on a roll! It get's easier and easier but don't become overconfident. If you read about recovery, why not focus on ways to avoid relapses. Hope you never have one! You've just given yourself the ultimate Christmas gift, freedom from slavery, getting your old self back. Hang in there and if you persist you will be very happy. You call it a continual struggle. It hasn't been that way for me. I'd call it continual wariness, watching for any possible triggers. I have no cravings now but I still can't tolerate the smell of the stuff. Like an old racehorse (88) smelling the track. Out to pasture now and enjoying every minute. Every good wish to you for a very very happy new year! Keep in touch.

W.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

we can exchange our thoughts about the film after we see it bud!

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I can't wait for it too
Old 12-15-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 months and I hope to be like you I have a brother who just turned 1 and a neice who just turned one who I haven't seen yet but ur right it would be an awesome feeling to be able to help out with them instead of just being on the side needing money for a fix. And heck yea for Star Wars and being able to remember it